• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,192 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sarg said:

LOL, the publishers of horror comics have ONE demand that all covers must meet, which is to have women's breasts displayed PROMINENTLY.

You say that like it's a bad thing.  :banana:

Hello again my fellow Pre Code fans!

I have another book to add tonight! And PLEASE lets all gather ourselves and be calm about this one! I keep getting flooded with PMs asking to sell these Gems, but they will be sitting in my Crypt for awhile...sorry!

Anyway enough with my silliness!

Hand of Fate 25 the last issue of the run, this book was saved from an estate sell and was getting rained on ( said the person who sold it to me) so I though I should have it at the low price of my 100 foot yacht!!! Now I didn't tell him that it had holes in the bottom and wouldn't float....but thats another story.

Scan 2019-10-15 22.21.43.jpg

Scan 2019-10-15 22.22.30.jpg

On 10/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, Point Five said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.  :banana:

It is kind of odd, isn't it? Supposedly, children were the only market for comic books. Children don't care about breasts. And yet we find breasts prominently displayed on nearly every crime and horror comic. 

It's also strange that this phenomenon, as far as I know, is rarely commented on in forums or the literature. You have a woman in negligee on the cover of Weird Mysteries for no reason, except to sell her sexuality to pre-sexual children. 

4 hours ago, Sarg said:

It is kind of odd, isn't it? Supposedly, children were the only market for comic books. Children don't care about breasts. And yet we find breasts prominently displayed on nearly every crime and horror comic. 

It's also strange that this phenomenon, as far as I know, is rarely commented on in forums or the literature. You have a woman in negligee on the cover of Weird Mysteries for no reason, except to sell her sexuality to pre-sexual children. 

With respect, I'm not sure where you got the idea that young children were the ONLY audience for golden age comics. They were a large part of the initial GA audience, sure, but comics back then had a wide, wide readership... plus that initial audience continued growing up, and their tastes matured (arguably :)) as well.

Servicemen returning from WWII were a significant part of that 'atomic age' comic audience....consider that a 19-year-old reading comics while serving in the war would have been in his late 20s when Weird Mysteries #1 was on the stands. The comic publishers did continue on with lighter 'kid stuff' like superheroes and funny animal titles, but they soon realized there was a huge audience out there for darker (and yes, sexier) stuff like crime and horror.

13 hours ago, Point Five said:

With respect, I'm not sure where you got the idea that young children were the ONLY audience for golden age comics. They were a large part of the initial GA audience, sure, but comics back then had a wide, wide readership... plus that initial audience continued growing up, and their tastes matured (arguably :)) as well.

Servicemen returning from WWII were a significant part of that 'atomic age' comic audience....consider that a 19-year-old reading comics while serving in the war would have been in his late 20s when Weird Mysteries #1 was on the stands. The comic publishers did continue on with lighter 'kid stuff' like superheroes and funny animal titles, but they soon realized there was a huge audience out there for darker (and yes, sexier) stuff like crime and horror.

There were allegedly up to 500 different comic book titles available in the early '50's, and their themes ran the gamut from Bugs Bunny -on the lower shelves of the news stand- to Vault of Horror on the upper shelves, with crime, war, romance, etc., in between.  Remember, it was a different era then, with printed entertainment consisting of "dime novels" (which actually went for a quarter), several editions of newspapers throughout the day, "Men's magazines", "art magazines", etc.  Some of the letters pages in the suspense and horror books were submitted by ppl in their '70's.  Radio was the primary entertainment purveyor, as many didn't have television sets until the early-mid '50's.  Crime Does Not Pay boasted 5 million readers, and it was hardly a title that would have appealed to the Bugs Bunny/Woody Woodpecker/Mickey Mouse crowd.

I picked this up at Plant comic con this year and just now got around to reading it. I really liked the last story "something to remember you by!" I bought it for the awesome Russ Heath cover!

And if you thinking " Wow Raze, you posted a nice mid grade book! We didn't think you had any of those!"

Id stay" Well guys the covers detached..."

Scan 2019-10-18 23.21.07.jpg

On 10/16/2019 at 11:23 PM, Point Five said:

Yes, that's why I said "supposedly" the only market were children. Everything written in the press at the time, plus Wertham et al., makes this assumption. I think it's safe to say that the majority were children 14 or under, though how much of a majority will never be known (51 per cent? 70? 90?). I recall reading a lot of letters in EC war comics from army men, but also Shock SuspenStories' letters pages contain many letters from adults. 

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

From a boardie and looking forward to finally getting one back in my collection.

White pages too...:luhv:

246DAAA9-8CFE-4571-A1E7-17626AB2BA93.jpeg.23ca144024f1cea7a5b3300af50c252e.jpeg

Great book! I stumbled into a small comic shop in San Francisco on my honeymoon and found a nice one of those. And, you don't want to know how long ago that was...:roflmao: