• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,192 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2019 at 5:21 PM, sartrexpress said:

A couple of recent upgrades and a new purchase

D9077EF9-59C5-4C0D-878B-B5B7BA58F42A.jpeg

The four stories enclosed live up to the covers suduction of the innocent.

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Fantastic-Fears/Issue-3?id=163693

Edited by tabcom

On 11/16/2019 at 6:23 PM, fifties said:
On 11/16/2019 at 8:56 AM, Larryw7 said:

Looks like fun. I've never owned a pre-code DC horror comic.

From the several dozen I've read, the stories are reasonably OK, but there is no gore.

DC really didn't do horror as such, and their crime books were pretty tame, so they barely changed their content when the code came in. Ironic considering their Bronze Age horror output, which was far more graphic...

I'll second what Andy just said.  DC's pre-code "horror" books (HOM #1-35, Phantom Stranger #1-6, Sensation / Sensation Mystery #107-116, Star Spangled Comics #122-130) would more accurately be described as fantasy/occult/supernatural issues.  Smart stuff, if you enjoy a good ghost story, but definitely not graphic.  Their pre-code crime and pre-code war stuff was also PG-rated.  Good stuff, but with a distinctly different flavor from many of the other publishers (like Atlas and Farrell).

On 11/22/2019 at 12:55 PM, goldust40 said:

DC really didn't do horror as such, and their crime books were pretty tame, so they barely changed their content when the code came in. Ironic considering their Bronze Age horror output, which was far more graphic...

I always enjoyed their Sci-Fi output from the 50's, but it was obvious that they were reaching for a different demographic than some of the "Headier" publishers of the day. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/20/2019 at 10:13 PM, porcupine48 said:

Cover split doesn't bother me one bit!Looks darling in its mylar :cloud9:

XCr8xGg.jpg?2

Mrs Porcupine took a look at this and was what the bleep?Holy honk! I usually hardly get a yes dear. i'm doing well this month.

I get a lot of those “yes dear” comments too.:roflmao:That’s OK, I get it. Either you love ‘em or you don’t. Kind of sad though, she lives in a house with thousands of them and has probably rarely ever looked at any.