• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,221 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, The-Collector said:

It has taken a really long time looking for me to find one of these. Really low census (9 universal) even compared to the surrounding issues (Weird 1 has 28 universal, Weird 3 17 and Weird 4 16) and one of Lou fine's best IMO. Love it!

Weird Comics 2 FC copy.jpg

One hell of a book. Awesome pick up!

Before me take Thanks giving break me thought to share some fresh arrivals today-

Me  think Detective #163 (circa 1950) is an overlooked book, Before these vests were even introduced to us in this world (predictive programming..eh?)! :flamed:

20191126_194302.jpg

20191126_194238.jpg

20191126_194330.jpg

20191126_194355.jpg

Found a copy of Startling Comics #10 that I didn't think I should pass up for the price - seriously, 1st Fighting Yank ever! It was graded by 'that other worst of the worst company' but since it was a cover-less NO GRADE it's not like I had much to loose. The reproduction cover it came with was just awful, and i'll be remaking my own new one for it (Using high res art and proper color matching and closer paper stock to the original).

However once I actually had time to inspect it it became clear why I got it for the price it was...the cases seal on the left hand side was fully opened, and when I removed the comic and inner sleeve (LIBERATION!!!!), I could see the sleeve was cut with an xacto knife alone the left side making it easy to remove and replace the comic. I think this other seller might have realized he might have had a tampered with dud on his hands - wish they mentioned it in the description though :P

The comic inside IS a legit Startling Comics #10, and all the pages seem to be there. So that's the good news - the reason I suspect a switcher-roo is that well...the page quality. Maybe someone swapped out the white page copy for this one...or maybe That OTHER company is just THAT bad with page quality grading :D (100% possible)

Behold the OFF-WHITE to WHITE perfection! 

20191201_203924.thumb.jpg.99b263e1605ea39bc2bee3e5c93bbe86.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

9 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Found a copy of Startling Comics #10 that I didn't think I should pass up for the price - seriously, 1st Fighting Yank ever! It was graded by 'that other worst of the worst company' but since it was a cover-less NO GRADE it's not like I had much to loose. The reproduction cover it came with was just awful, and i'll be remaking my own new one for it (Using high res art and proper color matching and closer paper stock to the original).

However once I actually had time to inspect it it became clear why I got it for the price it was...the cases seal on the left hand side was fully opened, and when I removed the comic and inner sleeve (LIBERATION!!!!), I could see the sleeve was cut with an xacto knife alone the left side making it easy to remove and replace the comic. I think this other seller might have realized he might have had a tampered with dud on his hands - wish they mentioned it in the description though :P

The comic inside IS a legit Startling Comics #10, and all the pages seem to be there. So that's the good news - the reason I suspect a switcher-roo is that well...the page quality. Maybe someone swapped out the white page copy for this one...or maybe That OTHER company is just THAT bad with page quality grading :D (100% possible)

pq has been all over the place lately 

On 12/1/2019 at 8:06 PM, Sauce Dog said:

That is a very specific switch-a-roo.