• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,221 posts in this topic

This was the CoC image for their July 1954 issue;

1155-1487-1237-1-chamber-of-chills.jpg

And here is EC's, Sept-Oct, sorta similar; the on-lookers in the background don't seem to be all that terrified in either cover illustration.

1252-1398-1340-1-haunt-of-fear.jpg

AFA toning it down, the last two issues of Haunt did just that; no walking dead or horrified people.

The last issue of Vault however, did go out with a bang, showing a vampire attacking a guy.

The third from last issue of TFTC, showing the guy getting guillotined, was that title's last shocking image.

I think the three Ghoul-lunatics on the left side of each cover was part of EC's logo, and not dis-similar to the way Atlas would almost always have three left side panels promoting stories.

In reading the letters to the editor in the copies of the original EC comics that I have, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about the trio's portraits interrupting the cover artwork of the three horror books. Maybe someone who has all of the books has seen different. My point here is that their portrayals didn't seem to bother the original reading audience; you guys are too picky...;)

And here is EC's, Sept-Oct, sorta similar; the on-lookers in the background don't seem to be all that terrified in either cover illustration.

AFA toning it down, the last two issues of Haunt did just that; no walking dead or horrified people.

The last issue of Vault however, did go out with a bang, showing a vampire attacking a guy.

The third from last issue of TFTC, showing the guy getting guillotined, was that title's last shocking image.

I think the three Ghoul-lunatics on the left side of each cover was part of EC's logo, and not dis-similar to the way Atlas would almost always have three left side panels promoting stories.

In reading the letters to the editor in the copies of the original EC comics that I have, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about the trio's portraits interrupting the cover artwork of the three horror books. Maybe someone who has all of the books has seen different. My point here is that their portrayals didn't seem to bother the original reading audience; you guys are too picky...;)

Yeah, but that cover story in HOF 27 is about a cannibal, and his comeuppance is about as gruesome as a comic book can get.

Yeah, but that cover story in HOF 27 is about a cannibal, and his comeuppance is about as gruesome as a comic book can get.

Dang yes. I got a copy of that HOF 27. The horror in there!! Isn't that the issue that Bernie Wrightson used to hide under his mattress as a kid? Graham Ingels was a lunatic with a pen!

Dang yes. I got a copy of that HOF 27. The horror in there!! Isn't that the issue that Bernie Wrightson used to hide under his mattress as a kid? Graham Ingels was a lunatic with a pen!

I think I remember from an interview with Wrightson that he said that Ingel's inks seemed to drip with horror, or something along those lines...

I read that story in the book Horror Comics of the 1950's as a kid. I think I almost dropped the book when I got to that last panel.

Some remarkable prices, it has to be said. That Marvel Tales 95 being just one example...

This was another stunner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162161299491?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I paid under $500 for this on eBay at the end of last year. It's not quite a 7.0, but it's not super far off.

chilling%2016_zpsylz1eseo.jpg

Nice!