• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,189 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Wow.  So many great books.  That appears to be the greatest mail call of all time.  Congrats.  Please tell us how you acquired these and their history.

Thanks! I'm Director of Comics for a West Coast auctioneer. Pre-Code is my specialty! I love putting together catalogues that combine editorial and sales content, for kind of a "sales-fanzine" effect. I picked up this crazy collection for my next sale. Lots more fun stuff is arriving weekly, and just last night I picked up half a dozen mags from a local consignor. The mags I got last night include 2nd copies of WEIRD MYSTERIES 5 and WEIRD TALES OF THE FUTURE 3,  plus a rare copy of WORLDS OF FEAR 10. Here are some of the mags I picked up last night, along with a few sample pages from my previous catalogues. I've been a major pre-Code buff ever since my dad introduced me to the stuff when I was a kid, via Marvel's 1970s pre-Code reprint rags (you know the ones... Chamber of Chills, Dead of Night, Crypt of Shadows, Weird Wonder Tales, etc.).

horror mags.jpg

pba page.png

pba page 3.png

pba page1.png

pba page2.png

1 hour ago, Ivan Ivanstein said:

I'm Director of Comics for a West Coast auctioneer.

Can you elaborate a little, as in a website, and when any or all of these beauties will be offered up for auction?  Although I personally have damn near all of them, always looking to upgrade.

1 hour ago, fifties said:

Can you elaborate a little, as in a website, and when any or all of these beauties will be offered up for auction?  Although I personally have damn near all of them, always looking to upgrade.

I would, but I don't wanna run afoul of rules against promoting sales here. You can message me for details. Most of these are lower grades, though (VG or lower), so there might not be many upgrades for you.

3 hours ago, Ivan Ivanstein said:

Thanks! I'm Director of Comics for a West Coast auctioneer. Pre-Code is my specialty! I love putting together catalogues that combine editorial and sales content, for kind of a "sales-fanzine" effect. I picked up this crazy collection for my next sale. Lots more fun stuff is arriving weekly, and just last night I picked up half a dozen mags from a local consignor. The mags I got last night include 2nd copies of WEIRD MYSTERIES 5 and WEIRD TALES OF THE FUTURE 3,  plus a rare copy of WORLDS OF FEAR 10. Here are some of the mags I picked up last night, along with a few sample pages from my previous catalogues. I've been a major pre-Code buff ever since my dad introduced me to the stuff when I was a kid, via Marvel's 1970s pre-Code reprint rags (you know the ones... Chamber of Chills, Dead of Night, Crypt of Shadows, Weird Wonder Tales, etc.).

Appreciate the information.  Looks like you've found a career that fits your unique skill set and that you enjoy.  That is a wonderful thing.

8 hours ago, Ivan Ivanstein said:

horror mags.jpg

pba page.png

pba page 3.png

pba page1.png

pba page2.png

wow that's awesome,  I have a huge Library of old Heritage and other auction comic auction catalogs from 90s - about 2013 when they started charging for them.. just fun to pick one randomly and read the captioning and info.  Honestly they were the reason I got back into comics after I found a couple at an estate sale back in about 2005.  I went on eBay a few times and bought huge lots of older ones, then I started picking up the old movie poster and illustration art catalogs, even picked up a few pop/modern art catalogs because they were so well written with amazing photography

5 hours ago, Ivan Ivanstein said:

I would, but I don't wanna run afoul of rules against promoting sales here. You can message me for details. Most of these are lower grades, though (VG or lower), so there might not be many upgrades for you.

Great books! You can post the information about upcoming auctions/sales in the Comics Market Forum. That’s where auction houses like Heritage post information about upcoming auctions. Dealers also post there for stuff they sell on their websites. Looking forward to seeing where and when these books are going up. Thanks(thumbsu

On 7/14/2020 at 10:59 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I sold a restored Tales of Suspense #39 not long ago with plans to use the money to replace it with a universal copy.  Instead, I saw a Venus #19 for sale and couldn’t resist it.  I don’t know if it will turn out to be smart from a financial perspective, but the comic is super rare and I love it.  The OCD in me is whispering in my ear to finish the whole set now that I have the hardest ones.  I sent in my Venus #1 to CGC last week.  They say they are currently in the process of grading it.  Pretty incredible considering all the COVID-19 cases in Florida right now.

I don't think Venus #19 is super rare, is it? It just seems rare because people who have it never want to sell it. It's very hard to part with one of the finest horror covers of the golden age.