• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STRANGE TALES #110 Club!
9 9

1,322 posts in this topic

Ive seen these 2-3X jumps happen many times over the last decade.

usually the correction is just leveling off for a couple of years and then a gradual increase again.

Happened to AF 15, Hulk 1, then FF1. I had  a couple of FF1s CGC 4.5 I sold in 2017 for around 5k. - year later went up to 14-15k. Same thing happened to Hulk 1 a few years before then. FF1 and Hulk 1 leveled off and then started another gradual healthy climb again.

Xmen 1 was way overdue. the only one that surprised me frankly was DD1. Undervalued IMHO for a long time but did not expect that sharp pf a peak.

I dont think ST 110 will go back down. That and TTA 27 are the only two bigger silver age marvel 1st appearance keys still accessible for a reasonable price for now. 

If ST 110 had the Doctor strange 169 cover, the 8.0 would be a 25k book now.

Edited by rabidwolf

I hear a lot about covid prices but I don't really understand it.  In Canada anyways, the financial trend seems to be that people are spending less and saving more  as the lockdowns here forced many out of work for several months and the employment insurance offered by the government didn't cover most people's lost salaries.  I don't know how it worked out in the states but a lot of people have just lost their jobs here.

9 minutes ago, TrevorP24 said:

I hear a lot about covid prices but I don't really understand it.  In Canada anyways, the financial trend seems to be that people are spending less and saving more  as the lockdowns here forced many out of work for several months and the employment insurance offered by the government didn't cover most people's lost salaries.  I don't know how it worked out in the states but a lot of people have just lost their jobs here.

In the US we sometimes talk about a "K-shaped recovery" because while many people are much worse off than they were, there is a substantial portion of the population (spoiler alert, high correlated with pre-existing income and wealth) who are doing much better.  Extreme examples like Jeff Bezos aside, there are lots of people making the same money (or more) but without the expenses of vacations, restaurants, work clothes, dry cleaners, etc. etc. and they have money to spend.  It's a very strange time.

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

In the US we sometimes talk about a "K-shaped recovery" because while many people are much worse off than they were, there is a substantial portion of the population (spoiler alert, high correlated with pre-existing income and wealth) who are doing much better.  Extreme examples like Jeff Bezos aside, there are lots of people making the same money (or more) but without the expenses of vacations, restaurants, work clothes, dry cleaners, etc. etc. and they have money to spend.  It's a very strange time.

Very true.  I feel terrible for all those who have lost their jobs or been furloughed.  I've been very lucky (knock on wood) to have continued working full time with reduced expenses.  Covid has sucked but compared to others I've been very fortunate.  My comic spending has gone through the roof over the past year.

2 hours ago, TrevorP24 said:

It all depends.  I have a white collar job that can be largely done remotely.  We had one of our busiest years ever.

I admit, I'm very curious to see where prices head in the next 6-8 months as people are able to put their money into vacations, restaurants, ballgames, etc. again, because I think that is partly what has driven the larger than expected increase in prices. In theory I want prices to continue to rise, because at some point I'd be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person not to cash-out on my ST 110, but at the same time...I'd like to be able to buy the Marvel keys I truly want, and will soon have the money to do it.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:25 PM, rabidwolf said:

usually the correction is just leveling off for a couple of years and then a gradual increase again.

Happened to AF 15, Hulk 1, then FF1. I had  a couple of FF1s CGC 4.5 I sold in 2017 for around 5k. - year later went up to 14-15k. Same thing happened to Hulk 1 a few years before then. FF1 and Hulk 1 leveled off and then started another gradual healthy climb again.

Xmen 1 was way overdue. the only one that surprised me frankly was DD1. Undervalued IMHO for a long time but did not expect that sharp pf a peak.

I dont think ST 110 will go back down. That and TTA 27 are the only two bigger silver age marvel 1st appearance keys still accessible for a reasonable price for now. 

I definitely agree with you about the cover.  This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel like slabbing has made the cover of a book more valuable than the contents in many cases (this book is a prime example).  I remember Bob on the talkingcomics podcast would always refer to slabs as comic book coffins.  He was very anti slabbing.  Mainly because his view (which I share in many ways) was that a comic book isn't meant to be closed forever.  They're meant to be read.  The stories are what make the comic book great not just the cover.  I daresay many speculators (not all of course) have no idea what the stories are in the comics they collect.  I obviously like CGC as I own many CGC books, but there's nothing like the smell, touch, and feel of actually reading the book.  My ST110 especially will never get cracked open as its Signature Series. 

I have lots of marvel masterworks collections that I do read, but its not quite the same.  Maybe I'm weird but it is especially the smell of a vintage book that I loooooove.  

On 4/5/2021 at 3:40 PM, bpc3qh said:

I admit, I'm very curious to see where prices head in the next 6-8 months as people are able to put their money into vacations, restaurants, ballgames, etc. again, because I think that is partly what has driven the larger than expected increase in prices. In theory I want prices to continue to rise, because at some point I'd be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person not to cash-out on my ST 110, but at the same time...I'd like to be able to buy the Marvel keys I truly want, and will soon have the money to do it.

It better drop  after these wealthy jerks leave our hobby... I still have books I need to buy...

On 4/5/2021 at 12:25 AM, rabidwolf said:

Between ST 110 and TTA27 which one do you think will move up faster ?

My opinion is that ST 110 will move up faster.  I just think Dr Strange is a more interesting character than Ant Man.  He has a better costume and lair, Clea’s cooler than Jan, and his enemies are more entertaining/scary.  Also, Nightmare’s first appearance is in #110.  

10 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Between ST 110 and TTA27 which one do you think will move up faster ?

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

On 4/18/2021 at 8:10 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

My opinion is that ST 110 will move up faster.  I just think Dr Strange is a more interesting character than Ant Man.  He has a better costume and lair, Clea’s cooler than Jan, and his enemies are more entertaining/scary.  Also, Nightmare’s first appearance is in #110.  

The masses have caught on.... this article just came out

https://comicbookinvest.com/2021/04/22/doctor-strange-the-mandarin-first-appearances/

On 4/18/2021 at 7:10 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I...was not aware of the bolded part for the longest time. At this rate I should buy a second copy of ST 110 now, because I don't know how I'll be able to avoid selling my current copy in the next ~12 months.

7 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I...was not aware of the bolded part for the longest time. At this rate I should buy a second copy of ST 110 now, because I don't know how I'll be able to avoid selling my current copy in the next ~12 months.

Yeah,  this will become fire as we get closer to the movie....I love dr. Strange and I LOVE Elizabeth olsen