• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales 89 Club - Fin Fang Foom! Finally! ;)
3 3

259 posts in this topic

Pardon my curiosity, what is so important about this issue?

Yeah, Ol' F3 has appeared occasionally , but so have some of the other Pre-Hero monsters. What really separates this book from the pack is that name. Fin Fang Foom is the ultimate example of the fun Stan had naming the endless parade of wannabe world beaters.

That sense of fun is one of the biggest reasons I'm a pre-hero Marvel collector. Stan really let loose, particularly in the early days, before the monster formula wore thin. Add to that amazing, epic stories from Steve Ditko and especially Jack Kirby, the real Master of the genre.

Strange Tales #89 is arguably the single most popular Pre-Hero Marvel, and Fin Fang Foom is certainly the most popular monster.

.... I always just flat out loved the story, too. It had that "brains over brawn" theme that permeated so many of these little gems..... but it was a classic example. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Red Hood...... it's amazing how you, as a 13 year old, managed to preserve your copy through all the years..... a real beauty.

Yeah, Ol' F3 has appeared occasionally , but so have some of the other Pre-Hero monsters. What really separates this book from the pack is that name. Fin Fang Foom is the ultimate example of the fun Stan had naming the endless parade of wannabe world beaters.

That sense of fun is one of the biggest reasons I'm a pre-hero Marvel collector. Stan really let loose, particularly in the early days, before the monster formula wore thin. Add to that amazing, epic stories from Steve Ditko and especially Jack Kirby, the real Master of the genre.

Strange Tales #89 is arguably the single most popular Pre-Hero Marvel, and Fin Fang Foom is certainly the most popular monster.

Not only that, FFF has always been more rooted in the Marvel universe. Although used briefly, for example is one of the main characters in Steve Gerber’s 1990s series "Legion of Night" (which features non-superpowered characters previously appeared in various Gerber scripted titles – very original).

What other PH monsters have appeared much, besides Groot more recently?

I dunno, IMO st 89 has been viewed as a key PH book for a long time... going back to the Iron Man appearances and arguably even further back... I think it holds the distinction of being the first pre hero story to be reprinted, no? (fantasy masterpieces 1 in '66 IIRC).

I dunno, IMO st 89 has been viewed as a key PH book for a long time... going back to the Iron Man appearances and arguably even further back... I think it holds the distinction of being the first pre hero story to be reprinted, no? (fantasy masterpieces 1 in '66 IIRC).

I recall many were used, at least a group in an Hulk Annual, Zzax comes to mind, but I am sure there are others.

As for Fing Fang Foom, I’m sure there are other references besides the Legion of Night, but one should check… hm

I recall many were used, at least a group in an Hulk Annual, Zzax comes to mind, but I am sure there are others.

As for Fing Fang Foom, I’m sure there are other references besides the Legion of Night, but one should check… hm

...... Xemnu (Hulk) has appeared as Titan a few times..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well, I don't think any of them have appeared much, but Xemnu (from JIM #66-a.k.a. The Hulk) has bumped around a little bit, from The Defenders to She-Hulk. His appearance in Hulk annual #5 was very influential to me. In it, he attacks Hulkie along with several other PH monsters, including Goom, the Blip, Tabboo, the aforementioned Groot, and Diablo. That issue was really the start of my pre-hero interest.

Some others off the top of my head are Spragg (the living hill guy) in She-Hulk, and Orrgo fought The Defenders, but most of those recent appearances are more obviously played for laughs.

Fair enough. To my mind 'importance' is not really the right question here anyways. I mean you can argue its an important book given the first appearance of a character thats been around for fifty years, and given that pre hero is probably kirby at his very best and given kirby is the most important artist in comics, but to me its just book thats incredibly cool more than incredibly important, and there is nothing wrong with that - there are *endless* examples of club worthy and valuable books that are exactly that.

To me its a book with a bit of everything - great cover, great art, cool 1st appearance of a still-used character, rare in condition and uncommon in any condition, jack at his best, etc.

There are a good number of SA books that can match its importance but not many that can match the total package it provides.

Oh and I think you are touching on what I am saying when you mention the name but to me FFF is only the 2nd best name..... how does one top GOOGAM, SON OF GOOM???