• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wanna start chasing Marvel 2nd prints...
5 5

333 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

How many primtimgs did Silver Surfer #50 have?I'm not 100%,but I think I've seen a third at least?

Was there more than two printings of some Secret Wars 2?

3 printings for sure on Surfers. 

Edited by mr_highgrade

20 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

How many printings did Silver Surfer #50 have?I'm not 100%,but I think I've seen a third at least?

The Silver Surfer 50 printings are cool too because each is a bit different. The second is very similar to the 1st, but it has black ink detail added to the embossed Surfer image (and "Second printing" added to the UPC box.) The third keeps the black-inked embossed Surfer, but changes the red/pink parts of the cover to yellow/green (and also adds Third print.) I used to grab these anytime I saw them, just because I thought they were neat little changes. I think I sold all of my copies back when Infinity Gauntlet was popping, and I don't see them often now.

Ghost Rider 15 gold is a snazzy book, and I'm still adding to my stack. If that book ever pops for some reason, I'll be rich, rich I tells ya!

On 9/24/2019 at 7:00 PM, porcupine48 said:

How many printings did Silver Surfer #50 have?I'm not 100%,but I think I've seen a third at least?

Three printings of #50 that I am aware of (and have).

I don't think so on the SW #2.

I see I am late to the party on these questions.

Edited by mysterio
Didn't check next page.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:17 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

There's more. #3-5, and others. There is no second print of #21 that's ever been found.

Yeah and they are strange.  They don't have black spidey for 2nd print.  Have you ever seen one?  Is it only noted in the indica?  I have seen them noted on yojoe but not as second prints but have diamonds and such and called a variant.

Any more info on that?

On 9/26/2019 at 3:04 PM, mysterio said:

Three printings of #50 that I am aware of (and have).

I don't think so on the SW #2.

I see I am late to the party on these questions.

I thought I remembered seeing Secret Wars II in valu-pacs,but I guess they could have been unsold copies?It was a long time ago,I'm remembering newsstand shelves,but it could have been recycled Secret Wars I at Woolco or something.I was too young to buy SWone off the rack.

2 hours ago, whisp said:

Yeah and they are strange.  They don't have black spidey for 2nd print.  Have you ever seen one?  Is it only noted in the indica?  I have seen them noted on yojoe but not as second prints but have diamonds and such and called a variant.

Any more info on that?

#3 2nd has the Marvel "M" instead of the price diamond.

#4 and #5 can only be told by the extremely minor font differences in the price box, and the ads.

s-l1600.jpg

2nd print. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2nd print

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2nd print

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1st print

s-l1600.jpg

1st print

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1st print

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

#3 2nd has the Marvel "M" instead of the price diamond.

#4 and #5 can only be told by the extremely minor font differences in the price box, and the ads.

s-l1600.jpg

2nd print. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2nd print

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2nd print

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1st print

s-l1600.jpg

1st print

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1st print

Are these the only 3 book that do this being 3,4 and 5?

15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You mean, aren't marked in any other way? So far as we know. 

Ok thanks.  I find it interesting because #2 was marked black spidey and the ones after as well and only these three are not.  Wonder why they did that and then reverted back after those three.  Just find it strange.

3 minutes ago, whisp said:

Ok thanks.  I find it interesting because #2 was marked black spidey and the ones after as well and only these three are not.  Wonder why they did that and then reverted back after those three.  Just find it strange.

#2 wasn't reprinted until 1986. It's one of the reasons it was the most valuable Joe during that period. #3-5 were the first ones reprinted, in 1983.

There is no rhyme or reason for the reprinting schedule. All you can do is look at the cover price and the ads to figure out when each was reprinted. The price gives you the time period.

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

#2 wasn't reprinted until 1986. It's one of the reasons it was the most valuable Joe during that period. #3-5 were the first ones reprinted, in 1983.

There is no rhyme or reason for the reprinting schedule. All you can do is look at the cover price and the ads to figure out when each was reprinted. The price gives you the time period.

Ok got it .  :)  With that info that make sense.  Thanks again that was a great help.

Final question.  In 3, 4 and 5 was it noted inside the book in the indicia?

Edited by whisp

15 hours ago, whisp said:

Ok got it .  :)  With that info that make sense.  Thanks again that was a great help.

Final question.  In 3, 4 and 5 was it noted inside the book in the indicia?

No. As mentioned earlier, they can only be told apart by the ads (and the "M" for #3.)

On 9/28/2019 at 12:58 AM, porcupine48 said:

Just because we're talking about Joes and I just got this in,here's my digest of number one.The picture is terrible,I apologize.

It was cheap and I've wanted to upgrade my childhood reader a while :cloud9:

rqiWGLU.jpg?1

Love it! Digests are criminally underappreciated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-INCREDIBLE-HULK-377-COMIC-BOOK-PETER-DAVID-BOB-MCLEOD-AUTOGRAPH-SIGNED-/303299407551?hash=item469e0daebf%3Ag%3ATKYAAOSwFMtdjTtF&nma=true&si=k5rBGBi%2BuujbAIA%2FqNJ8cW9pcBQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Ouch, those autographs made it go for less than a 1st print. I am no expert, but the Peter David does not look right, but why would anyone bother? I have looked at his sigs and they are all over the place, but this does not look like a "natural" signature. the McLeod does not look too bad, but again, nobody cares.

my 8 year old asked me why I didn't put fake stan lee sigs on as bunch of books and make some money. I told him it would be wrong and not fair to the people who bought them. where on earth did he get this idea? youtube? he also asked me why I am dragging him to sunday school rather than letting him sleep, because it is a waste of time (his words) and he loves to sleep. I had no answer other than "ask your mother." he's definitely going to pull the plug on me the 1st chance he gets, bless his heart.

Edited by the blob