• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Label (Qualified) vs. PGX

37 posts in this topic

I didn't realize you could do that. How does that work and how much does it cost? Anyone have pics? This could be a good way for those that want to preserve their comics without all that grading propaganda. Don't get me wrong, there are pros and cons to the system, but I'm old school. If someone turns their nose up to a green label, but dishes hundreds more for a blue label, more power to them. Pics of universal and fees interest me. Please post. Thanks!

Asking people on a CGC board about PGX is akin to going on the Heat website and asking about Tim Duncan.

I'm sure everyone here is giving their honest opinion, but the opinions may not reflect the overall markets responses.

Edited by shadroch

I didn't realize you could do that. How does that work and how much does it cost? Anyone have pics? This could be a good way for those that want to preserve their comics without all that grading propaganda. Don't get me wrong, there are pros and cons to the system, but I'm old school. If someone turns their nose up to a green label, but dishes hundreds more for a blue label, more power to them. Pics of universal and fees interest me. Please post. Thanks!

Before you get all excited - if you are at all concerned about a possible resale, submitting a book with an unverified sig (or sketch) and asking for a blue label is even more a waste of money than just taking the green label. Nobody's going to pay anything near your slabbing (and signature fees) for a CGC 7.5 modern with a "names written on cover" notation.

If you're doing this to preserve your book, putting it in a mylar with a true acid-free backing board and adding several sheets of micro-chamber paper will do a better job than having it slabbed.

If you're doing this because you think it looks nice the slab and want to hang in the wall, well, knock yourself out :thumbsup:

Asking people on a CGC board about PGX is akin to going on the Heat website and asking about Tim Duncan.

I'm sure everyone here is giving their honest opinion, but the opinions may not reflect the overall markets responses.

You're right - it's a real shame that there are still suckers unsuspecting buyers out there who don't yet realize PGX is a total scam.

Gee whiz guys you are really are hating on PGX. They are not "crooks" etc. they provide a service and return the books on time. Your opinions are just opinions. I would always choose CGC over PGX but I would use PGX in certain cases. Especially If I just wanted a slab for a book with an issue like a detached staple and was going to keep it in my own collection. Or a signature that was not witnessed. It's a valid choice/option.

Edited by David V.

On 6/15/2013 at 2:01 PM, mschmidt said:

You're right - it's a real shame that there are still suckers unsuspecting buyers out there who don't yet realize PGX is a total scam.

I bought a pgx Thor 337 9.8 which is probably a 9.6/9.8.  I just like the book and probably will never resale.  I don't usually shop them because of the public disdain for them.

I have heard many stories of PGX books graded 9.4 etc being broken out and sent into CGC and actually coming back with a higher grade 9/6/9.8 etc.   HOWEVER, Lower/mid and mid upper books (especially older books/not modern etc) almost always come back significantly lower after breaking out and being sent to CGC, so that is where you need to be especially careful buying a pgx book.   Broken record, but no matter which of the 3 companies are grading the book, examine the books defects closely yourself and pay what YOU think the book deserves, not a figure based on a designated number at the top of a label that can be extremely subjective and change, even if the exact same book is sent over and over to the same grading company.  Remember, you are Buying the Book, not a label designation!   As for grading mistakes, it happens with all grading companies albeit far more often with PGX than CGC (you get what you pay for!).   Over the years, I have broken out several CGC books only to find out major defects were never disclosed on the label.  The entire spine being taped on the inside not even mentioned on a GL #2 GD+ 2.5 (just barely happened) that I thought looked pretty nice otherwise and was shocked to find out was not disclosed, blue label JIM 83 in Gd no label qualification that was missing a huge chunk on an interior page that even went into the story (this was many years ago), so no company is perfect by any means, but at least CGC is far more likely to get it right than PGX, especially resto detection etc.  I would still take a PGX scanned book over a raw book from an unknown seller on ebay any day, they did catch some trimming and other minor resto in a large lot of ebay books I purchased and was unaware of, so they are pretty decent for the price, just lack the level of quality control you get with the other two companies which are much better, but are not always perfect either. :)

On 7/20/2017 at 9:59 AM, David V. said:

Gee whiz guys you are really are hating on PGX. They are not "crooks" etc. they provide a service and return the books on time. Your opinions are just opinions. I would always choose CGC over PGX but I would use PGX in certain cases. Especially If I just wanted a slab for a book with an issue like a detached staple and was going to keep it in my own collection. Or a signature that was not witnessed. It's a valid choice/option.

1svg9z.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:59 AM, David V. said:

WTB and thanks for resurrecting a four year old post.

And  yes, PGX sucks white donkey balls.

i also have issues that the Green label is "doomed".. there were tons of Dynamic Forces (for example) autographed books that shops sold and they have a certificate of authenticity.. etc.. now i get that the Gold label SS has to be witnessed and i LIKE that it is strickly monitored.. it should be.. but maybe there should be some sort of other path..

I dont have a clue on PGX.. not even looking.. i do know that you can have a book authenticated via another company but.. everyone says they dont like them as much as CGC either..   I have a bunch of autographed with certificate books.. that im 98% sure are real etc.. but not sure i want to send them off and pay $40+ bucks to have it authenticated and slabbed to sell in a slab that no one likes.. rather just sell it raw.. though it is much harder to do so..

To me.. if i give you the DF cert.. and the hologram.. and the number on the front matches the cert number... a GREEN label should be "OK" if it gives you the grade that CGC would have given the book with a SS gold label if they had seen it.. Right?? and then you either can decide that you trust the DF cert and the Seller.. or.. dont buy it??

One day i guess there will be a good solution.. but i just dont know for now.

On 20/07/2017 at 0:47 PM, TC33 said:

I have heard many stories of PGX books graded 9.4 etc being broken out and sent into CGC and actually coming back with a higher grade 9/6/9.8 etc.   HOWEVER, Lower/mid and mid upper books (especially older books/not modern etc) almost always come back significantly lower after breaking out and being sent to CGC, so that is where you need to be especially careful buying a pgx book.   Broken record, but no matter which of the 3 companies are grading the book, examine the books defects closely yourself and pay what YOU think the book deserves, not a figure based on a designated number at the top of a label that can be extremely subjective and change, even if the exact same book is sent over and over to the same grading company.  Remember, you are Buying the Book, not a label designation!   As for grading mistakes, it happens with all grading companies albeit far more often with PGX than CGC (you get what you pay for!).   Over the years, I have broken out several CGC books only to find out major defects were never disclosed on the label.  The entire spine being taped on the inside not even mentioned on a GL #2 GD+ 2.5 (just barely happened) that I thought looked pretty nice otherwise and was shocked to find out was not disclosed, blue label JIM 83 in Gd no label qualification that was missing a huge chunk on an interior page that even went into the story (this was many years ago), so no company is perfect by any means, but at least CGC is far more likely to get it right than PGX, especially resto detection etc.  I would still take a PGX scanned book over a raw book from an unknown seller on ebay any day, they did catch some trimming and other minor resto in a large lot of ebay books I purchased and was unaware of, so they are pretty decent for the price, just lack the level of quality control you get with the other two companies which are much better, but are not always perfect either. :)

I feel cgc is now on the fence of being completely inconsistent in their grading.