• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Was The 1st Mystique Appearance In X-Men?

42 posts in this topic

Just wondering, does anyone know the first time Mystique appeared in the pages of X-Men? I'm guessing that since her first full appearance in in Ms. Marvel #18 on 6/78 that it would have to be X-Men #112 or later. I did a Google search for, "1st Mystique in X-Men Comics", and it came back with no results found.

Good question hm

The earliest Uncanny issue that is mentioned in the references of her Wikipedia page is #141 - 'Days of Future Past' Pt. 1.

tumblr_ln86nzl6lM1qzfe3g.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was her first appearance in an X-men comic. She was also referred to, but not shown, in #140.

Here's a good page for some info:

Mystique Chronology (as a character, not as published)

I suppose you are aware that the Ms. Marvel was an ongoing storyline, and Mystique actually starts to appear in #16, goes on in #17 (with her disguise still on) and fully reveals her true physical aspect in #18.

I have to find an X-Men #141 – not a big X-fan but loved these characters, the Freedom Force, and the Claremont Ms. Marvel run… ;)

Good question hm

The earliest Uncanny issue that is mentioned in the references of her Wikipedia page is #141 - 'Days of Future Past' Pt. 1.

tumblr_ln86nzl6lM1qzfe3g.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was her first appearance in an X-men comic. She was also referred to, but not shown, in #140.

Here's a good page for some info:

Mystique Chronology (as a character, not as published)

So issue #141 would put her in X-Men about 2.5 years after Ms. Marvel. Wonder what took them so long? She really was a great looking character, and as a kid of about 10 or 11 when I first saw her in comics, stickers, and school supplies, it blew my mind. The Vision had the same effect. Reading those comics at that age I'm sure I didn't fully grasp the plots, but I loved them nonetheless.

BTW, that's a great page for reference. Thanks!

I suppose you are aware that the Ms. Marvel was an ongoing storyline, and Mystique actually starts to appear in #16, goes on in #17 (with her disguise still on) and fully reveals her true physical aspect in #18.

I have to find an X-Men #141 – not a big X-fan but loved these characters, the Freedom Force, and the Claremont Ms. Marvel run… ;)

Yeah, I am. What I'm really looking for though, is the first images of her in blue with the white dress. I was kinda disappointed the movies didn't have her that way. Which is how I remembered her. Not complaining about Rebecca Romijn at all though. Jennifer Lawrence wasn't too bad on the eyes either.

Yeah, I am. What I'm really looking for though, is the first images of her in blue with the white dress. I was kinda disappointed the movies didn't have her that way. Which is how I remembered her. Not complaining about Rebecca Romijn at all though. Jennifer Lawrence wasn't too bad on the eyes either.

I usually care more about the stories as a whole, but I see what you mean. Many characters had the same effect on me, I recall I was totally fascinated by the Guardians of the Galaxy, especially Starhawk and Vance Astro, and also thrilled when I read the stories where Spidey time-travels to meet Killraven and Deathlok. Great stuff! :)

So you have #18, I suppose. It is interesting to consider how Mystique was not invented specifically with the X-Men in mind, but later on found her place in the stories. A similar thing happened to all the pantheon of the british characters created by Moore & Davis on the UK magazines (I am picking a run of those, they are awesome!).

That's a beautiful 141 you've got coming!

I just recently re-read the whole Claremont X-Men run. From memory, 141 was the first time I believe Mystique appeared in X-Men. So, I agree with the rest of the group on that point.

#141 is such a great issue. It's got the classic cover, the classic story, the first appearance of Rachel Summers, Avalanche, Pryo...and it also features the first appearance of Mystqiue in the pages of X-Men. What a classic :cloud9:

I love the way the Bronze and Copper Age Mystique was drawn. She was very appealing.

P.S. Very envious of your #141…

lol I don't have it yet. The seller responded to me saying they had never shipped a comic before. So I did a step by step list of how I ship them. We'll see if he can follow instructions.

No, I don't have a Ms. Marvel #18... Yet. Surprised I got the X-Men #141 as cheap as I did. Even the worse copies are going for quite a bit because of the movie tie in. The Ms. Marvel is a key so those are always pricey as well, but I'll nab one some day.

I just recently re-read the whole Claremont X-Men run. From memory, 141 was the first time I believe Mystique appeared in X-Men. So, I agree with the rest of the group on that point.

I was looking at some of the CGC labels for this issue, and some say, "Mystique appearance", and others don't. I wonder when CGC decided to start listing it?

#141 is such a great issue. It's got the classic cover, the classic story, the first appearance of Rachel Summers, Avalanche, Pryo...and it also features the first appearance of Mystqiue in the pages of X-Men. What a classic :cloud9:

I love the way the Bronze and Copper Age Mystique was drawn. She was very appealing.

I'm guessing John Byrne did the interior art as well? I love all the Marvel covers with females on them. Romita, Kane, Buscema, Sinnott, Steranko, Cockrum, Brunner and Thorne just to name a few all did great silver and bronze age pin up artwork. Those Red Sonja, Ms. Marvel, Shanna, Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacey, Felicia Hardy, Phoenix, Black Widow, Rogue, and even Shalla- Bal are burned onto my retinas. Mystique had the added dimension of being blue and a redhead. :cloud9:

I have a lot of CGC books with no info, where info was later added to slabs, I think it takes them a while to add most info.

I've noticed that. When I was doing research for this I was reading the CGC labels on the X-Men slabs looking for "Mystique appearance". I actually looked at the one #141 that didn't say it. I got to about #170, and figured she had to have appeared before that, and that I was going about this all wrong. Then, come to find out it is #141, my hopes were dashed of me finding a decent copy for sale I could afford because of the movie greed. I was really hoping it would be anything before or after #141-142. There's lower grade ones, but if I'm going to buy a bronze slab, I usually want a 9.8 WP copy. Even then, you can't read it or see Mystique anyway. Which is what I wanted in the first place. So a slab was out. I did look at the TPB's for the arc which are going up in price too. Especially the 1st editions.

I was looking at some of the CGC labels for this issue, and some say, "Mystique appearance", and others don't. I wonder when CGC decided to start listing it?

I had the same question when it came to WD #1, newer labels have Rick, Shane, Morgan, Dwayne. The response I got was that characters and events get noted once they're relevant. Makes sense.

Or it's when someone at CGC remembers to add it :makepoint:

Last year's OSPG says nothing about Mystique in particular concerning #141, just "1st appearance of the New Brotherhood of Evil Mutants." And it has a pretty extensive character list as far as 1st appearances withing the title.

It's confusing. Any Overstreet advisors here on the board? Maybe they can put a word in about this??

;)

-slym