• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why doesn't CGC grade certain comics?

35 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me why CGC does not grade Grimm Fairy Tales Jay Company exclusive books? I also have a Grimm Wonderland #2 Blue Gryphon exclusive limited to 75 copies that I want CGC to grade, but it does not appear anywhere in their registries. Why do they ignore certain books and refuse to grade them?

Just because it is not in their registry or in the Census, doesn't mean they won't grade it? Only books already graded will be listed in either of these and it could simply be the case that no-one has sent one in yet.

Generally they won't grade books that are too large for their slabs and have other production defects, like over hangs, that I don't know enough about to comment on. Try the Ask CGC section in the forum. (thumbs u

Perhaps I did not make myself clear - or maybe you just don't believe me. It is a fact that they will not grade Grimm Fairy Tales Jay Company exclusives. PGX will, but CGC will not! Just recently I sent 15 books to CGC. 14 were graded 9.8. They did, however, refuse to grade my Grimm Fairy Tales 49 Jay Company Arizona Con. And when I mention the registry, it has nothing to do with books that have been graded. When it comes to registering a collection, Jay company books are not even recognized as existing by CGC. For anyone who doesn't believe me, check it out for yourself. Grimm Fairy Tales 2 has two Jay Company exclusives, one Gothic limited to 100 and one gold limited to 200. CGC will not even give us the option of registering these books - because they refuse to grade them. I would like to know why.

Hi,

I collected this series graded for a couple years before I started on Locke & Key. I can tell you the Grimm Fairy Tales Jay Company exclusive books have serious overhang from the front and back cover edges (being bigger than the actual book) that can easily be damaged (crushed, creased or bent) during encapsulation. Plus, if your book gets "shaken comic syndrome" and shifts in the holder, it's all over for a 9.8 :eek: . Maybe PGX's inner wells are better or they just want your money, it's not my place to say. But, I agree with CGC on this policy on not grading books with overhang.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear - or maybe you just don't believe me. It is a fact that they will not grade Grimm Fairy Tales Jay Company exclusives. PGX will, but CGC will not! Just recently I sent 15 books to CGC. 14 were graded 9.8. They did, however, refuse to grade my Grimm Fairy Tales 49 Jay Company Arizona Con. And when I mention the registry, it has nothing to do with books that have been graded. When it comes to registering a collection, Jay company books are not even recognized as existing by CGC. For anyone who doesn't believe me, check it out for yourself. Grimm Fairy Tales 2 has two Jay Company exclusives, one Gothic limited to 100 and one gold limited to 200. CGC will not even give us the option of registering these books - because they refuse to grade them. I would like to know why.

Way to talk to some one who was just trying to help :/

I know nothing about GFT books so I didn't know, I think you may be a little confused by the registry. Oh and it seems Jerel has answered you question...

Thanks. This response was helpful. I had noticed what you are talking about on these books. I knew there must be an explanation - and I was hoping it was a good one. I guess PGX it will be. Very disappointing.

PGX isn't the right way to go either,your book will get damaged.

Just put it in a mylar and enjoy it that way. (thumbs u

Thanks. This response was helpful. I had noticed what you are talking about on these books. I knew there must be an explanation - and I was hoping it was a good one. I guess PGX it will be. Very disappointing.

Not to mention that I would personally never give money to thieves and crooks. :makepoint:

Not to mention that I would personally never give money to thieves and crooks. :makepoint:

then no birthday card for me oak? :(

op, call and ask cgc and if you already asked them, what was their response? i know they wont grade gobbledygook's

NewEnglandGothic already answered the question ... CGC won't grade these books due to overhang.

Yeah. I won't buy a PGX either - but I also won't add a book to my collection unless it's graded. Any book that isn't graded might as well be thrown in the trash as far as I'm concerned. I guess I'm a comic snob. But the Jay Company books have beautiful covers, so I want them in my collection. Thank you all for your input, but I will unfortunately have to resort to PGX in order to complete my collection of graded books. The PGX graded Jay Company copies on eBay appear to fit very nicely into their encapsulated cases, so I will choose to take the chance of any damage. Once again, thank you all for your feedback.

Yeah. I won't buy a PGX either - but I also won't add a book to my collection unless it's graded. Any book that isn't graded might as well be thrown in the trash as far as I'm concerned. I guess I'm a comic snob. But the Jay Company books have beautiful covers, so I want them in my collection. Thank you all for your input, but I will unfortunately have to resort to PGX in order to complete my collection of graded books. The PGX graded Jay Company copies on eBay appear to fit very nicely into their encapsulated cases, so I will choose to take the chance of any damage. Once again, thank you all for your feedback.

:popcorn:

-slym

No trying to offend anyone here but if you get all your comics graded what are you really collecting, the book or a hunk of plastic that you can only view that front and back covers? For me my pc has high grade raw books, so when I feel like reading one I don't have to get a chisel and hammer to break open the plastic. Just my preference guess I go for the inside of books more than the outsides. 2c

I guess PGX it will be. Very disappointing.

I had a Museum cover book I sent to PGX years ago because CGC doesn't grade them because of the overhang. For good reason too. Ruined my book as the pressure of slabbing it left indentations all around the book where the overhang was. If you want to destroy the book, send it to PGX. (thumbs u

Think you are in the minority there bub. All books start out ungraded and even cgc is subjective on grading, depends on the day. Cgc grading is not perfect.

CGC will no longer grade Warrior Magazines even though some appear on the registry.

Yeah. I won't buy a PGX either - but I also won't add a book to my collection unless it's graded.

This is where I stop commenting on this thread.

Guest Grails
Yeah. I won't buy a PGX either - but I also won't add a book to my collection unless it's graded. Any book that isn't graded might as well be thrown in the trash as far as I'm concerned. I guess I'm a comic snob.

So you never collected comics prior to CGC existing?