• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does CGC refuse to grade certain books?

30 posts in this topic

Why does CGC refuse to grade Grimm Fairy Tales Jay Company exclusives? I really don't want to resort to PGX. Is there any chance that this will change any time soon?

Is there any place that I can find a listing of books that CGC will not grade before I again take the time and money to submit them?

• Administrator

If a book presents an overhang, which is when the cover extends beyond the interior or the comic, and that overhang is such that we cannot safely encapsulate the book, then it is returned ungraded and the account is credited. You should inspect the covers of your books prior to submission. Also, you are welcome to call prior to submitting a book to see if we are aware that it cannot be graded.

I have an incredible hulk 181 which was miss cut from the printer. 4 or 5 interior pages extend beyond the cover. Can it be put in a larger case or have the pages folded back under before slabbing it? Would this get a green label due to a printing error or a blue, if it is allowed?

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:36 PM, jimmie madden said:

I have an incredible hulk 181 which was miss cut from the printer. 4 or 5 interior pages extend beyond the cover. Can it be put in a larger case or have the pages folded back under before slabbing it? Would this get a green label due to a printing error or a blue, if it is allowed?

Hi, 

Typically, to get on the newsstand, the book would come with the extra paper folded over.  Assuming it has that natural fold, we would keep the extra paper folded over when we encapsulate it so that it fits in our holder. It does not get any special label or notation.  It may be mentioned in the internal notes.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, Bree said:

Hi, 

Typically, to get on the newsstand, the book would come with the extra paper folded over.  Assuming it has that natural fold, we would keep the extra paper folded over when we encapsulate it so that it fits in our holder. It does not get any special label or notation.  It may be mentioned in the internal notes.

why don't you guys label newsstand issues versus retail copies?

On 9/7/2018 at 6:24 PM, JcomicJ said:

why don't you guys label newsstand issues versus retail copies?

Can't you tell the difference by looking at the UPC on the cover which would be visible?  I stopped buying comics around that time so I may not be correct.  But if it obvious and label notation space is limited, I don't think it would be necessary?

4 hours ago, telerites said:

Can't you tell the difference by looking at the UPC on the cover which would be visible?  I stopped buying comics around that time so I may not be correct.  But if it obvious and label notation space is limited, I don't think it would be necessary?

I agree, very obvious. 

8 hours ago, telerites said:

doesn't answer the question but thanks for the opinion i guess?

28 minutes ago, JcomicJ said:

doesn't answer the question but thanks for the opinion i guess?

Perhaps the question should be posed back to you, why should CGC indicate Newsstand vs Retail on the label ? I honestly never heard of this request before and it doesn't appear that anybody else is backing you on it. (shrug)

20 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Perhaps the question should be posed back to you, why should CGC indicate Newsstand vs Retail on the label ? I honestly never heard of this request before and it doesn't appear that anybody else is backing you on it. (shrug)

because they used to do it with no problem then stopped doing it for some reason, not sure why you all have to be gatekeepers to everyone new to collecting just because someone doesn't share you same sentiment doesn't mean you need to respond because I didn't ask you I asked the admin at cgc just my 2 cents no matter what part of the board I express my opinon on the vast majority have a hivemind mentality and really no self value to there own personal interests.

Edited by JcomicJ

4 hours ago, JcomicJ said:

because they used to do it with no problem then stopped doing it for some reason, not sure why you all have to be gatekeepers to everyone new to collecting just because someone doesn't share you same sentiment doesn't mean you need to respond because I didn't ask you I asked the admin at cgc just my 2 cents no matter what part of the board I express my opinon on the vast majority have a hivemind mentality and really no self value to there own personal interests.

It's nice to see you have such a high opinion of the Boards. I read another post of yours, in a different thread, same emotional theme. Why all the angst ?  

Edited by Bomber-Bob

14 hours ago, JcomicJ said:
On 9/9/2018 at 9:48 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

because they used to do it with no problem then stopped doing it for some reason, not sure why you all have to be gatekeepers to everyone new to collecting just because someone doesn't share you same sentiment doesn't mean you need to respond because I didn't ask you I asked the admin at cgc just my 2 cents no matter what part of the board I express my opinon on the vast majority have a hivemind mentality and really no self value to there own personal interests. Good day, sir!

Fixed that for you

18 hours ago, JcomicJ said:

2hp9ux.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

52 minutes ago, Les Tunes said:

You are seriously out of the loop dude, there are MANY flippers and speculators that back him up.

Maybe, but NOBODY backed him here, on this site. The point was made that this information is easily seen from looking at the UPC box. Perhaps you can explain why there is added benefit to putting it on the label ?

Geez, you never know where a question or thread will go. 

As everyone and their dog is aware, many  - and a growing number - of collectors are showing an interest in collecting newsstand editions of comics over direct - especially Newsstand editions published late 1980's on.   The advantage of grading companies differentiating between the two versions would be their census.  Another source of information on ratio between the two and relative scarcity.  

The problem for the oldest grading company is the census reflects 18 years of grading - and counting.  Starting to note either direct or news stand and recording in the census wouldn't be of much value for like another 18 years. 

I personally have no interest in paying more for a comic book because it was direct or newsstand. Either is fine with me - it's the same book.  But it's clear that a lot - and a growing number - of collectors are making a distinction and paying extra for the "scarce" version.  CGC's product is marketed to collectors. So the original question isn't so odd as to be dismissed.  The real questions - implied but not asked - are could CGC start doing so and would it be helpful at anytime in the near future. 

IMHO, the experienced boardies here understood the implied question.

2 hours ago, Les Tunes said:

Do you mostly hang out in the Golden Age section? This has been a topic for years, especially when CBCS started doing it a year and a half ago.

I'm totally aware of the desirability of the Newstand copies, even picking them up when I see them on a key book. I just never read/heard about the request to put it on the label before. It seems over the top to me but I have nothing against it. Most sellers highlight the fact when it is a Newstand and the buyer can see for himself. I'm still honestly looking for the big benefit for CGC to note. It was mentioned the implied reason is for the census but I think that ship has sailed. Call me naive but I asked a serious question and got no answer other than to be belittled. Seriously, what is the added benefit to label notation ?

15 hours ago, Tony S said:

Geez, you never know where a question or thread will go. 

As everyone and their dog is aware, many  - and a growing number - of collectors are showing an interest in collecting newsstand editions of comics over direct - especially Newsstand editions published late 1980's on.   The advantage of grading companies differentiating between the two versions would be their census.  Another source of information on ratio between the two and relative scarcity.  

The problem for the oldest grading company is the census reflects 18 years of grading - and counting.  Starting to note either direct or news stand and recording in the census wouldn't be of much value for like another 18 years. 

I personally have no interest in paying more for a comic book because it was direct or newsstand. Either is fine with me - it's the same book.  But it's clear that a lot - and a growing number - of collectors are making a distinction and paying extra for the "scarce" version.  CGC's product is marketed to collectors. So the original question isn't so odd as to be dismissed.  The real questions - implied but not asked - are could CGC start doing so and would it be helpful at anytime in the near future. 

IMHO, the experienced boardies here understood the implied question.

And you couldn't have just answered my question without stressing the fact of how naive I am ? As you pointed out, after 18 years of grading without the notation, there would be no integrity of the data. Sure, the early submitters of the new notation would have some bragging rights for a number of years but it would truly be false advertising. BTW, the original request here was for label notes, which does not necessarily translate into the census. If they did we would have Page Quality and Pedigree census numbers.