• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You Get 5 Now Don't Lose Your Mind

10 posts in this topic

Best Wife EVER!!!

It's been awhile since I last wrote an actual journal. Things at the......"office" have been a little more hectic than usual and my nightly boredom has been replaced by what can only be explained by the immense heat here. Something about the rise in temperature makes everyone lose it.

So I still owe 6 thru 1 of my iconic cover as well as the pry from my dead hands comics. I'll get on that in the next few days as we have more down time now than over the past few but recently I had a conversation with my wife about collecting. She approached me with the question of why and a no *spoon* list of what I would want if we had the money or savings or whatever.

We talked about one another's spending habits and she noticed that I do spend for comics and little else while she spends for purses, make-up, clothes, shoes and whatever... the list truly goes on. It was with this that she noticed (FINALLY) that she spends way more than I do yet she can still classify what I spend on as an investment.

So the list, she asked me to shoot for the stars on the top 5 books I would want in a 9.4 to 9.6...yeah her words (amazing right???) and she would see what she could do as far as us saving for a Birthday, Christmas, or Anniversary. I think I'm like most typical men, you ask what do I want for these days and my response is either going to be whatever or if I'm in a bold mood sex.

So my list in no particular order:

X-Men #94

Giant Size X-Men #1

X-Men #13

Green Lantern # 76

Batman # 232

Mine is based on two of my favorite characters; Colossus & Juggernaut and the final two are based off my favorite comic artist. She said shoot for the stars and I think I tried to keep my shot group tight for what I aimed for. Without going nuts and saying something like Journey into Mystery or Amazing Fantasy territory which really would lead to one hell of an amazing fantasy.

So if this same question is posed to you, what would be your choices based off what you would want while still holding reserve back?

13919.jpg

See more journals by kaholo1256

Well most of the books I'd love to have are priced in the stratosphere at that grade... but if it was my wife asking me what crazy $5-10k type purchase she could surprise me with it'd be nice copies of...

Showcase 22 ...should be able to get a nice 7.0

Action 252.....maybe an 8.0 or 8.5

Adventure 247...in a 7.0 maybe a 7.5 on a lucky day

Fantastic Four 12....in a nice 8.5/9.0

Amazing Spider-Man 14....in a 9.4

Im always (usually) going to go with a DC book over a marvel... but I have a soft spot for FF12 when the marvel universe became real.

Wow, those are a few really nice ones. For me at least the first Hulk vs. Thing cover was a really cool one to have added but it’s a good reach for me.

As for the others those are some Iconic 1st's there in those choices.

I had to keep it down to what we could afford to save off 3 maybe 4 months of savings and it truly did take a while in my choices. While I am always a marvel fan at heart I do tend to lean to DC on a few rare occasions and Neal Adams was always that picturesque manner about his art. I can say that a runner up was Batman 251.

Honestly, I have most of the books I would want as far as key expensive books, with the exception of maybe Tales of Suspense #49. The majority of books I'd like to get now are just hard to find in high grade...so I wait patiently and keep an eye out for them...like Marvel Tales #30 (if anyone has one of these in high grade please let me know!).

sig.jpg

First Off: You are one lucky dude!!!

Second Off: I would ask for sex over comics (that's just me).

But if i got to chose a holy grail kinda comic within reason... here's a short list:

House of Secrets 92: 1st Swamp Thing

-OR-

Fantastic Four 48: 1st Silver Surfer and Galactus

-OR-

Silver Surfer Volume 1, Number 3: 1st Mephisto

-OR-

A High Grade EC Vault of Horror or Tales from the Crypt

I can't wait to hear what you are going to choose.

SW3D

My list, based on your guidelines include the following:

X-Men #114 - It's one of those covers!

Uncanny X-Men #141 - Prices have shot back up for this one...

X-Men #101 (1st Phoenix) - This one might be pushing it.

Action Comics #437 - a 100 page giant and only one copy (Pacific Coast copy) has made it to 9.8 so far.

I would also like a Neal Adams Batman or Detective cover, but it would more than likely have to be from later in his run, one of the less iconic covers (so I can stay within the guidelines).

My list would be the first 3 on yours, fantastic four 48 and green lantern 76. I know it's not very original considering what's already been posted. But great minds think alike. Now I need to go talk to my wife.

your spouse seems to be an awesome gal. my gal is the same way. she brought me back into collecting after 14 yrs been out of it. never had keys, never had cons, never knew about cgc, non of that. she surprised me by taking me to see stan lee last year and my mouth dropped and i all could say was "you are feeding a rehabbed man crack". we got tons of keys including: gsx 1, hulk 181, tons of key spideys, uncanny x-men 1 and so on. most of crossing the nm- line but some dipped no lower than fn. she said that its not even about the books or future investments, its about seeing and making me happy because i'm making her happy. personally, i think your spouse is aiming to make you happy and i don't think its out of guilt because shes buying shoes or purses. i think these books are much easier to handle than the desert eagle i had sitting on my desk as a birthday present she got me last yr. :grin:

but next up for me will be: asm 1, amazing fantasy 15, and hulk 1.

Ok. I wanted to pick books that no one else picked on this list and I'm surprised no one did so her is my list... And I'm I had trouble counting to five.

So my top six at 9.6 or better are...

Sub-Mariner #1

Iron-Man #1

Sub-Mariner/Iron-Man #1

DareDevil #7

Amazing Spider-Man #16

Amazing Spider-Man #50