• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anthony Castrillo is a liar and a cheat.
3 3

304 posts in this topic

This is why buyers should try to do research via google searches and msg board inquiry posts.

A golden rule is simply "don't pay cash in advance" to artists you know nothing about nor their reputation or if there's even a bit of negative press.

If an artist wants the money up front, and you hear they're behind on their work and unreliable, consider yourself buying a lottery ticket that either may pay off or you may be a loser with nothing to show for it.

There are lots of artists who handle CIA, cash in advance payments well and deliver on the goods, and there's the artist's perspective of customers flaking on payments necessitating CIA payments.

If t's a "starving artist" always looking to make rent or hustle, that's the red flag for a desperate unorganized non-professional who probably is doing a money grab and you're standing in the back of a line all while this creative genius is sitting at home with a list of commissions that are overdue while posting photos of cats playing ping-pong on social media or smoking up weed playing video games all day.

The artists who are professional who don't "need" the money are usually the ones who deliver because they are professional and respectful.  There's a few out there of course who are just slow too.

The majority of honorable slow artists are the ones who tell fans, put your name on the list and when I get to you or get it done we can discuss payment, otherwise, you're on the list, I owe you nothing and you've paid nothing.  

The problem with CIA is once you've paid in full, you've given the artist no motivation to complete your piece.  You need a carrot to dangle in front of 'em to ensure they're focused.  Partial payments, not payments in full are one way to start.  The other is COD, cash on delivery of course.

No art is worth chasing or groveling over. 

49 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

The problem with CIA is once you've paid in full, you've given the artist no motivation to complete your piece.

This this a thousand times this!

20 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

This is why buyers should try to do research via google searches and msg board inquiry posts.

A golden rule is simply "don't pay cash in advance" to artists you know nothing about nor their reputation or if there's even a bit of negative press.

If an artist wants the money up front, and you hear they're behind on their work and unreliable, consider yourself buying a lottery ticket that either may pay off or you may be a loser with nothing to show for it.

There are lots of artists who handle CIA, cash in advance payments well and deliver on the goods, and there's the artist's perspective of customers flaking on payments necessitating CIA payments.

If t's a "starving artist" always looking to make rent or hustle, that's the red flag for a desperate unorganized non-professional who probably is doing a money grab and you're standing in the back of a line all while this creative genius is sitting at home with a list of commissions that are overdue while posting photos of cats playing ping-pong on social media or smoking up weed playing video games all day.

The artists who are professional who don't "need" the money are usually the ones who deliver because they are professional and respectful.  There's a few out there of course who are just slow too.

The majority of honorable slow artists are the ones who tell fans, put your name on the list and when I get to you or get it done we can discuss payment, otherwise, you're on the list, I owe you nothing and you've paid nothing.  

The problem with CIA is once you've paid in full, you've given the artist no motivation to complete your piece.  You need a carrot to dangle in front of 'em to ensure they're focused.  Partial payments, not payments in full are one way to start.  The other is COD, cash on delivery of course.

No art is worth chasing or groveling over. 

I ask for 50% cash in advance to ensure the buyer is committed to buying but I only get that when I am starting the work. in 30+ years I have never missed a deadline.

14 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I ask for 50% cash in advance to ensure the buyer is committed to buying but I only get that when I am starting the work. in 30+ years I have never missed a deadline.

When i ask for commissions from artists I've never dealt with this is what I ask for when negotiating price as well

I’m not a member of that group, but it wouldn’t be the worst thing if someone posted a link to this thread (maybe someone already has)