• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anthony Castrillo is a liar and a cheat.
3 3

304 posts in this topic

I have a story that sums the whole thing up.

A few years ago on the Byrne board, someone commissioned JB to do a drawing. He doesn't charge up front and if you don't like what he's done you don't lose a dime. So the guy who commissioned him decided he didn't like it...end of story right? Some time passes and an Anthony Castrillo commission that looks like it had been light boxed off of a copy / printout of the rejected JB drawing showed up on the original buyers CAF page. The buyer was outed on the boards and if IIRC AC claimed no knowledge of the prior illustration. Total BS as someone layed one on top of the other via Photoshop and it was a near perfect match.

Just sayin'

Links?

This is all from memory, but it happened. I remember the term "art thief" being thrown around and a lot of butthurt.

Maybe its time we start to list exactly how many commissions are outstanding, just to get a scope of what's left to be done?

Deja vu all over again! :ohnoez:

Fill us in here, Andy.

Two quotes(among many) from April, 2012 Castrillo which I believe Speddy-D helped resolve to some extent.

There's a number of people I've been in contact with through PM's who are owed money. I found other threads from long ago with similar problems. Someone told me there were also complaints in the past on deviant art.

It will be interesting to find out if some people from years past still didn't receive their art or get paid back. If we don't get resolution soon I'm going to start really digging and tracking people down. Maybe if enough complaints are pooled together it will total enough money that the FBI will care enough to get involved.

Yes, I just went there.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a full tally of who is owed what from Anthony, seems to be a lot worse then I imagined (though I probably shouldn't be surprised).

So, it just seems like Deja vu all over again! :ohnoez:

List of people Anthony Castrillo owes work or refunds to:

user name (date of payment/engagement)

conditionfreak (May 2011)

Silver Surfer (almost 3 years ago)

plasticmoz (? supposedly sent to CGC in Nov 2012)

J DUB (Oct 2012 purchased completed sketch, asked to add back)

Erndog (unknown D Doom, finished pic posted in Mid-Jan)

absolutecarnage (10/2010)

sl4ppy (10/2011)

Resolved issues, completed work

I like pie (Dec 2012) Refunded money May 2013.

Silver Surfer ("almost 3 years ago) 3 commissions completed

who else goes on the list of satisfied or unsatisfied customers?

Edited by Miraclemet

A few years ago on the Byrne board, someone commissioned JB to do a drawing. He doesn't charge up front and if you don't like what he's done you don't lose a dime. So the guy who commissioned him decided he didn't like it...end of story right? Some time passes and an Anthony Castrillo commission that looks like it had been light boxed off of a copy / printout of the rejected JB drawing showed up on the original buyers CAF page. The buyer was outed on the boards and if IIRC AC claimed no knowledge of the prior illustration. Total BS as someone layed one on top of the other via Photoshop and it was a near perfect match.

Just sayin'

Links?

This is all from memory, but it happened. I remember the term "art thief" being thrown around and a lot of butthurt.

I found the link...thank Google:

Swiping

sorry I should not be on the list.

Revat

Just sayin'

Links?

Swiping

It's funny reading the comments from all the Byrne Knobs. lol

my bad, I mis-read your post when you stated the OP's intent, and I read it as if you were saying it... :facepalm:

sorry I should not be on the list.

Revat

He owes me $100 from 10/15/11 at the NYC Con. After a few succesfull and not delayed transactions with AC (see my sig line), he offered to grab an MK sketch from Alex Meleev whom he was sharing a table with at NYC. I of course jumped on that and sent him the $100.

On 10/17/12 I got this PM after inquiring about the book A FULL YEAR LATER.

Booked subbed along with others at NYCC,what ill do is issue you a refund and when i get it,you can rebuy.

I never got a refund or the book, and any acknowledgement of any PM's sent since then.

Edited by sl4ppy

Just sayin'

Links?

Swiping

Yikes.

I actually assumed he was lightboxing and everyone knew about it, and wanted it. (assuming you credit the original artist and its not an EXACT EXACT recreation)

his specialty is seems to be re-creations w/ a twist (or straight re-creations).

And light boxing seems efficient and most likely to get something near the original...

Or is that art 'theft'? I guess I was both ignorant and more informed on this issue at the same time.

Edited by Revat

I actually assumed he was lightboxing and everyone knew about it, and wanted it. (assuming you credit the original artist and its not an EXACT EXACT recreation)

his specialty is seems to be re-creations w/ a twist (or straight re-creations).

And light boxing seems efficient and most likely to get something near the original...

Or is that art 'theft'? I guess I was both ignorant and more informed on this issue at the same time.

I think somewhere in the SS thread/forum he described his process... and I think he does grid style copying rather than lightbox.

But take that as truth as you want...

He owes me $100 from 10/15/11 at the NYC Con.

for a commission I assume?

I updated the original post. I hate to pile on AC like this as he did come through with ZERO delays or anything on at least 3 original commissions that came out spectacular, imho.

But going on 3 years, even for $100, is just silly.

Edited by sl4ppy

I think there is a lot of grey area in lightboxing/copying. I mean, a homage with your own spin/style is cool for any artist to do - but there is a very thin line of public opinion that an artist has to be careful of crossing, otherwise they find themselves on the indefensible side of the argument.

What AC did in that particular case with Byrne's art did not do his reputation any favors. If AC did not know about that, I would generally feel bad about that situation. If someone misled me to produce a concept that another artist did and they didn't pay for, I'd be beyond furious with that client.

He owes me $100 from 10/15/11 at the NYC Con. After a few succesfull and not delayed transactions with AC (see my sig line), he offered to grab an MK sketch from Alex Meleev whom he was sharing a table with at NYC. I of course jumped on that and sent him the $100.

On 10/17/12 I got this PM after inquiring about the book A FULL YEAR LATER.

Booked subbed along with others at NYCC,what ill do is issue you a refund and when i get it,you can rebuy.

I never got a refund or the book, and any acknowledgement of any PM's sent since then.

Oct. 24, 2012 - 1 commission still owed. Add me to the list.