• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anthony Castrillo is a liar and a cheat.
3 3

304 posts in this topic

we have to stop paying for commissions up front.

While that would be favorable for buyers, are there artists willing to put in the work for sketches that never get paid for?

Anyone know of an escrow service?

Between reading this entire thread and The House of Comics thread, I am really glad I joined this site. Invaluable amounts of information on who to trust and more importantly, not to trust.

+1

Once again, who is Anthony Castrillo? I've never heard of the guy.

He's a comic artist who has done some DC work (amongst others) in the past. I'm sure he's on wiki if someone wants to provide the link (on my phone).

http://www.comicvine.com/anthony-castrillo/4040-44236/

THANK YOU!!! I was sitting here (shrug) through most of this but just reading along... :whatev:

and Speedy-D I'll second that none of this is directed at you, and having ready thru almost all of that 300 page thread, you did a lot to try and make things right where you could facilitate.

I think the point of the list is that anyone considering sending this guy money sees the back log of unfulfilled work, and then the buyer can decide if s/he feel comfortable sending money Anthony's way. Since Anthony doesnt seem to work on commissions in order (based on the # of old orders still unfulfilled, while some newer orders have been completed), sending him money and commissioning him for new work is potentially taking him of the priority of completing the outstanding orders due to other board members.

I think Mikenyc's theory is likely. Anthony has dug himself into a hole he may not be able to dig himself out of financially in a timely fashion. His own poor book-keeping/work management led to some mistaken sales (of books that were owed to others) to try and raise the cash to submit the books that were completed, but not sent to CGC. And thus the calamity we have now.

List of people Anthony Castrillo owes work or refunds to:

user name (date of payment/engagement)

conditionfreak (May 2011)

Silver Surfer (almost 3 years ago)

plasticmoz (? supposedly sent to CGC in Nov 2012)

J DUB (Oct 2012 purchased completed sketch, asked to add back)

Erndog (unknown D Doom, finished pic posted in Mid-Jan)

absolutecarnage (10/2010)

sl4ppy (10/2011)

Resolved issues, completed work

I like pie (Dec 2012) Refunded money May 2013.

Silver Surfer ("almost 3 years ago) 3 commissions completed

who else goes on the list of satisfied or unsatisfied customers?

I've got a huge list of completed stuff, some uncompleted too, but I don't feel good about sharing it. If the people on it want me to share their info, they can let me know. Or share it themselves of course.

Can you share the data without giving names?

Such as, how many outstanding? How long have they been waiting? ect

My list is pretty out of date. I stopped getting any updates a while ago, after I moved and had to give up on getting the remaining people taken care of.

But yeah, I can go through it and see what I can share. You gotta remember that it's over 8 months old.

When I started out, I collected info on about 55 outstanding commissions (:whatthe:), totaling something around $12K. Through a bunch of work and three or four sales threads, we managed to clear up about $10K of that. Some were commissions we got finished, graded and out the door. More were refunds from money generated from the sales threads (those things were a bunch of work!! lol ). When I had to drop out, there were 13 outstanding commissions left, owed to 10 different folks (a couple had more than one).

conditionfreak was in there from the beginning ... I wish I'd been able to get him his stuff, but it was tough.

I paid for 2 sketches in early October 2012.

1 was to be of a Daredevil combo (DD twice) action shot, where one shows him in his old yellow costume while another shows him in his red suit Quesada style. They were to look like team mates about to jump into action.

The other was of Doom/Daredevil. Anthony showed this COMPLETED on January 23/2013.

Since he actually showed a pic of the doom/daredevil I would really like it. Ill take it raw, graded, whatever. It just needs to be shipped. Surely it can't take that long. I will gladly take a refund for the other as I'm sure that hasn't even been worked on.

Either way I hope everything gets resolved. He's super talented but clearly took on way too much.

I'm so glad I don't like John Byrne's artwork.

3r7s0s.jpg

sl4ppy (10/2011)

I'm sorry that I don't know the other boardies on the list but when you are screwing over guys like Surfer and condition, you are as low as they freaking come. Not that anyone should get screwed Orr but those guys are as top notch as it gets when it comes to boardies. I'd send either of those guys my life savings and trust them 100% (worship)

sl4ppy (10/2011)

I'm sorry that I don't know the other boardies on the list but when you are screwing over guys like Surfer and condition, you are as low as they freaking come. Not that anyone should get screwed Orr but those guys are as top notch as it gets when it comes to boardies. I'd send either of those guys my life savings and trust them 100% (worship)

Send me your life savings. :devil:

I think Mikenyc's theory is likely. Anthony has dug himself into a hole he may not be able to dig himself out of financially in a timely fashion. His own poor book-keeping/work management led to some mistaken sales (of books that were owed to others) to try and raise the cash to submit the books that were completed, but not sent to CGC. And thus the calamity we have now.

That is a super-nice positive way of putting it. I generally think of it as:

1. Artist advertises commissions and gets paid truckload of cash to create art.

2. Artist thinks "Hey, I can draw anytime I want to." and proceeds to turn Paypal money into a private scholarship for single mothers trying to put themselves through college by being an "exotic dancer".

3. After the scholarship has been completely disbursed one dollar at a time, realization sets in that he now has to spend time drawing and essentially have no funds to show for work that still needs to be performed.

4. Date a stripper and repeat steps 1-3 until everyone catches on.

Oh, and it can't be said enough how awesome Speedy-D was in trying to facilitate and fix everything going on with the AC opp. All that effort generated lots of good karma for you, my friend.

sl4ppy (10/2011)

You???

I'd be a little worried sending you a bag of poop! :baiting:

lol

sl4ppy (10/2011)

You???

I'd be a little worried sending you a bag of poop! :baiting:

lol

I've sent him bags of poop with no problems at all. (shrug)