• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lighting in a comic room

9 posts in this topic

I have seen some fantastic "man-caves" and comic rooms on here - kudos to you all.

Some posters have recommended LED lighting.

My 'cave' will have no external light (unless I want it) so I was hoping that some of you guys could suggest the best artificial lighting to protect my comics.

Any suggestions appreciated (regarding lights.. lol )

Thanks

I don't know anything about the site itself but the products are what you should be looking at.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/low-heat-no-uv-led-light-bulb.html

+1

Typical CFL flourescent lights emit low levels of UV which are reduced by the glass of the bulb and further reduced from the glass of a fixture, which is probably ok - but LEDs emit zero UV or IR.

Thanks guys - exactly the info I needed (thumbs u

I've been researching this myself as my wife and I are looking into our first home now. I'm lucky enough to be getting a office/comic room so I was researching lighting, UV blocking window films, and curtains. These LED bulbs would be perfect I think.

There is minimal UV with a Fluorescent bulb. If you touch the bulb, it’s the equivalent of direct sunlight. Even looking at the study I couldn’t find the wattage for this equivalent. Then we have to factor in the inverse square law. For every doubling of distance, the energy is ¼. By the time the UV hits your comic collection, the UV is minimal, but accumulative. The real danger to any paper is DIRECT sunlight. I have items framed with 99.9% UV glass that do get hit with direct sunlight. For every thousands hours of direct sunlight, it’s about equal to an hour. Over ten years, it’s equal to a full afternoon of being in the sun. However I don’t trust the claims of being 99.9% UV free and the real damage to the art is by heat in this case, not the UV.

Fluorescent bulbs should be fine, but if you’re really paranoid about it, then get LEDs. The problems with LEDs is they tend to be directional. I swapped out lights all over my house and my lamps remind me of lighthouses.

I have been doing research on this , seems like LED is best option if you are a serious collector .There are many things to consider not only lighting .What i am trying to find out do particular LED Color and Temperature matter ? There are Warm white, Cool White, Day Light. Different levels of brightness starting at 2300k-6000k. I want to beable to use the best light while reading,inspecting, cleaning ,bagging boarding etc my comics, while not damaging the books with the wrong type of light bulbs . I already have blinds shut in the day stored in the BCW black boxes . Next step may be tinting the windows to block any potential UV . This would br very important for people wanting to display on there walls. Or get uv protecting sleeves . 

If anyone has input on what color and temp LED they have liked the best please share !

Edited by BESTiNTHEWORLD
Miss Spelling