• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 Club
2 2

487 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2020 at 9:46 AM, rcouto said:

That's awesome! Very cool that I can track my Superman 1 history like this. Thanks for sharing the pic 🙏

And Bunky bought it off these boards in a sales thread back in 2012 or so. Nice pick up. I have held that copy in hand. 

For all of the OCD condition grade conscious collectors out there who are afraid of keeping their GA books in mylar so that they can still peruse through them due to possible handling damage, this little video clip is proof that you are needlessly obsessing over absolutely nothing when you see how a standard page count is done on a book like Superman 1:

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

For all of the OCD condition grade conscious collectors out there who are afraid of keeping their GA books in mylar so that they can still peruse through them due to possible handling damage, this little video clip is proof that you are needlessly obsessing over absolutely nothing when you see how a standard page count is done on a book like Superman 1:

Love it !  Who’s book is this ?  Yours ?  

I’ll never forget when I bought my first Superman 1 from Danielle at SDCC a few years ago. It was a coverless copy missing the first 2 wraps and had slightly brittle pages. I had a CGC grader just take a look at it for me to do a page count and confirm anything else. Let’s just say he flipped through that thing like it was a modern copy of the New 52 lol. I was both scared and impressed.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

So thats how they handle grails. Interesting 🙁

30 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I don't understand why the owner wouldn't just count the pages himself? Seems pretty straight forward. 

A check for missing pages and clipped coupons is always one of the first verifications that CGC performs and they will definitely not rely on the submittor to do this.  :gossip:

Similar to how they will not simply take the owner's word as to the grade and will instead grade the book themselves.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

oops, a little extra cover bend at the :28 mark, nothing to see here.

Sorry, but that video doesn't inspire confidence at all.

Well, as you can tell from your picture below, at least his nails are nicely clipped so that they won't catch on the pages as he's flipping through them:

C0F8381E-7AEE-446A-B17A-18F6F6370C25.jpeg

Also, and as I had posted in the other thread on this same topic here:

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any bets that if this was a HG copy of a book in the 9.4 to 9.6 grade range to start, there's probably a good chance it would drop below that grade range by the time they finished counting the pages if it was handled in the exact same fashion.  hm  :censored:

Thank God they have Graders Notes that will let you know right away about non-color folds so that you can simply send them right back in so that they can easily take care of any fixable defects that might have been inflicted on the book in order to maximize their potential for you:  (thumbsu

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No worries though and definitely no appearance of a conflict of interest here  :devil:, since these can be easily taken care of if you are willing to kick some extra money in the direction of their sister company and then pay them all over again to have the book regraded a second time.  :mad:  :censored:

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:
8 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

supe.jpg

Truly a cringe-worthy picture. I handle dollar-bin books with more care than this. 

You know that old adage that there's no such thing as bad publicity? Well, this is bad publicity. 

Well, I am sure they wouldn't agree with your point of view here, especially since this little video clip was apparently posted to Facebook by CGC themselves.  doh!

They probably are of the same opinion as the rest of the CGC acolytes here who claim this video is proof positive that the gang at CGC knows exactly what they are doing as they are able to conduct a page count on a 68-page so fast and efficiently in less than 30 seconds, wheras the rest of us nobodies would take forever to do it.  hm  :screwy:

Just imagine how much faster they can do it when it comes to those thousands of thin MA books which the speculators are sending in every week as they arrive on the shelves of your local comic shops every Wednesday.  (thumbsu  :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Jeez guys, that crease was already there ...

So that is a good excuse to deepen the fold line? Or to add some folds to the pages that weren't there before?

I didn't handle Superman #1s this way when they were $10K books, and certainly wouldn't do it to a $100K copy (and I played with plenty of expensive books out of their fortress/mylars in the pre-CGC days).

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

A check for missing pages and clipped coupons is always one of the first verifications that CGC performs and they will definitely not rely on the submittor to do this.  :gossip:

Similar to how they will not simply take the owner's word as to the grade and will instead grade the book themselves.  lol

Thought owner just wanted to have pages counted for possibly fear of damaging the book or didn't know number of pages/how to count properly if he were to do it himself.  But yea if he was submitting to get graded or pre-screened for restoration than yeah it's a different story and everything you mentioned is true.