• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 Club
2 2

487 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
34 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I believe it's most likely Jason, because if it was Danny, half of his thumbnail would be gone.  lol

Think it was Matt. 

Nah..........Matt's only good for pressing or giving his fingernails that extra loving squeeze to ensure they are tightly and firmly ensconced in place.  (thumbsu  lol

Edited by lou_fine

27 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Think it was Matt. 

The post was on facebook. I did see Matt doing interview on why he don't use gloves after I saw the Sup 1 vid but not sure it was him doing the Sup 1.

Edited by woowoo

7 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

So that is a good excuse to deepen the fold line? Or to add some folds to the pages that weren't there before?

I didn't handle Superman #1s this way when they were $10K books, and certainly wouldn't do it to a $100K copy (and I played with plenty of expensive books out of their fortress/mylars in the pre-CGC days).

but its folding along the fold line that was already there.  no extra harm ... its a pretty serious crease from looking at the front cover.  The tone here is either CGCs people either dont KNOW how to handle comics, or dont care.  I think after 20 years and millions of comics with a few mishaps, there'd be no reason to get all in a huff over this video.  As I said earlier, to CGC, "extra damage" is quantifiable based on if it affects the grade.  For this very not HG copy, the grade is unchanged, hence, no "damage".  you can also argue that whatever slight extra strain to the papers, a press will reverse. 

53 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

you can also argue that whatever slight extra strain to the papers, a press will reverse. 

Unfortunately, as I am sure you well know, they don't provide a complimentary press job for your book if you simply send them in for grading only.  :gossip:

If the book had simply been sent in for grading only, you are going to have to send it back out for pressing upon receipt and then go through and pay to have the book regraded all over again.  :censored:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:
5 hours ago, Primetime said:
5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I need to know who his manicurist is :sumo:

lol

I believe it's most likely Jason, because if it was Danny, half of his thumbnail would be gone.  lol

3 hours ago, woowoo said:
3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Think it was Matt. 

The post was on facebook. I did see Matt doing interview on why he don't use gloves after I saw the Sup 1 vid but not sure it was him doing the Sup 1.

I was actually referring to the manicurist who did the micro-trim job on his nails, NOT whose hands those were in the video.  lol

As for whose hands those were in the video clip, based upon these posts in the other thread, they would definitely appear to be Matt's hands:  :gossip:

On 2/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Matt Nelson hands!

On 3/1/2020 at 12:01 PM, JollyComics said:

Yes, I confirmed it. He checked my books last Friday.  

On 3/1/2020 at 5:32 PM, gadzukes said:

Maybe Matt had done a precheck to determine the integrity of the crease and the pages right there..... or not.  Matt's definitely a pro so I'll trust him, 

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I was actually referring to the manicurist who did the micro-trim job on his nails, NOT whose hands those were in the video.  lol

As for whose hands those were in the video clip, based upon these posts in the other thread, they would definitely appear to be Matt's hands:  :gossip:

I leave you with a recent picture of Richard or as he likes to be called Mr B

Richard.jpg

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, as I am sure you well know, they don't provide a complimentary press job for your book if you simply send them in for grading only.  :gossip:

If the book had simply been sent in for grading only, you are going to have to send it back out for pressing upon receipt and then go through and pay to have the book regraded all over again.  :censored:

Well, you’re a submitter with a 100k book that suffered damage by their hands.  I think they give you. A press in this situation to fix the problem and get you your 2.0 grade. It’s not even a case of catastrophic Irreversible damage!  That crease ain’t going anywhere ... and short of having broken off a huge chunk along the crease, I mean, what’s the issue?

Edited by Aman619

If the grader did in fact crease or even rip an interior page... could we all presume the grader would just slab the book as is, never saying a word, figuring the owner would never even know? 

3 hours ago, manofsteel said:

If the grader did in fact crease or even rip an interior page... could we all presume the grader would just slab the book as is, never saying a word, figuring the owner would never even know? 

That would suck so bad!? I hope it never happens or happened. A few do crack their books out so if they did find some damages that was not there before than it would get really ugly.  I don't think CGC would do that, at least I want to believe so.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:03 AM, Aman619 said:

Well, you’re a submitter with a 100k book that suffered damage by their hands.  I think they give you. A press in this situation to fix the problem and get you your 2.0 grade. It’s not even a case of catastrophic Irreversible damage!  That crease ain’t going anywhere ... and short of having broken off a huge chunk along the crease, I mean, what’s the issue?

Well, since it was apparently CGC themselves who had posted this little video, I am quite sure they did not in any way saw this as potentially damaging the book.  Like others have posted here, this is probably just par for the course in terms of counting pages, given the defects that were on the book already.   (shrug)

Although this rather cavalier approach to counting pages might not have impacted the final grade, it would be impossible for the actual graders to even know since the actual grading of the book is done further along in the process while the page count is apparently done in one of the earlier stages of the submission process.  hm

All I can say for sure is that this is 100% definitely not good from a PR point of view and might leave the OCD submittors with the feeling that lower than expected graded books might be due in part to how CGC employees handle their books during the whole grading and slabbing process.  doh!

You’re an experienced collector.  Why are you freaking out about this? And if you’re not actually “freaking out” or object to the term, why are you so willing to pile on with others who never handle such books... and certainly not as often as Matt and other CGC graders do?  We’ve had so many times here of newbies etc losing their minds accusing CGC of all sorts of crimes and misdemeanors.  You’re splitting hairs to have it both ways. CGCs top graders can count the pages and examine my books — without gloves — any time I choose to send them down there... 

to Infer anything about CGCs methodologies to handling the books in their care while grading them from a cool video of  ONE low grade but high value comic at a booth at a show is something Im surprised you are siding with the impressionable over this clickbait example of ineptitude and/or malice. 

CGC as a business has and still does make decisions that we have questioned their motives on, from a financial perspective  But their grading system, albeit with a few unforced errors over 20 years, has been solid. Systematically mishandling comics (except by the slabs themselves!  (Hah! Beat you all to it) ) has never been an issue.  Not 100% perfect of course, but never a reason to worry about ones comics in their hands.