• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD WORLD posted by Studio 25

7 posts in this topic

or my wallet just got lighter

Just got home from Wizard World NYC Experience, and let me say that I had a great time.

1st I waited over by Humberto Ramos's table to sign up to have my ASM 648 sketched (2 copies). I have six more but they will have to wait for another time, since he would only do 2 per person.

2nd I dropped by Arthur Suydam for the same purpose, and dropped off my copy of Walking Dead 109.

3rd I dropped by Desert Wind Comics to have several books signed by Stan Lee as well as others from the Legends Tour.

I dropped off:

ASM 129 - Stan Lee, John Romita, Gerry Conway

F. Four 48 - Stan Lee

Inc. Hulk 181 - Stan Lee, Herb Trimpe, Len Wein

I had the above three pressed and I am very curious as to see how well they will fair. But they did come back looking awesome.

Also submitted was, Thor Journey Into Mystery 85 - Stan Lee, Larry Lieber. This one will most likely come low grade, maybe 5.0 due to some wrinkling and a missing piece in the bottom right corner of the cover. But no worries, they'll have both brothers signature.

4th I had my Wizard World Comic Con Edition of Walking Dead # 1 (regular & sketched, that was given out by WW), signed by Neal Adams and left with CGC on an open ticket. The CGC people were incredibly nice. Thanks to CGC.

5th, I proceeded to Mike Zeck's and had my Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars (issues 1, 7 & 8) signed. Dropped off at CGC, same ticket.

Whew!

With all that going on I started to walk around and look at all the artwork that was displayed by the various artist. Wow! While I do like the stories written in the comic books, I gravitate more towards the artwork. I mean, isn't that how we all started in this hobby of ours. As a kid, entering the local newstand, and looking at the comics on the rack. One maybe two caught your eye, and a relationship began.

I then started to look for some back issues. Since I am mostly a Spider-Man fan, I was looking for and was lucky to obtain:

ASM # 5 (v2), 1st appearance of the new Spider-Woman

Web of Spider-Man # 118, 1st appearance of Scarlet Spider (Ben Rielly)

Ultimate Fallout # 4, 1st appearance of Miles Morales (Spider-Man). (Seeking mostly first appearances.) These look like 9.6's to me, but I will give them a much closer inspection when I get home. I will send them off to CGC for grading some other time.

Every so often I would walk back to Humberto Ramos & Arthur Suydam to check on their progress. Nope, working on other sketches.

While I was waiting I continue to search for back issues. I came across a raw copy of Iron Man # 55 (1st Thanos appearance). Yes, I purchased it. It too will have to wait. Looks like an 8.0 - 8.5 to me.

Walking around some more, I dropped by Rodney Ramos and had a sketch done. Of what? you may ask....... Spider-Man. Chatted with him a bit, great guy.

Went back to Suydam and at that moment he was almost done with my book. So I stood there and talked with him while he worked on my book. Very cool guy and down to earth. Once he completed the book I took his picture, thanked him, and told him that I am waiting on other sketches and that as soon as they are done I will get the CGC people and pick up the book.

Whew! Getting late and I am tired.

Now I walked across the aisle to Humberto and he was almost done with my second sketch. Chatted with him too while I waited. Very nice and humble guy. Once he was done I thanked him and took his picture holding both sketched books. Got the CGC people, completed my transaction and finally left without spending any more money.

But what an awesome time I had. Aside from meeting these artist the best part of the day was spending it with my boy.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to Comic Con New York in October.

13954.JPG

See more journals by Studio 25

Your day was a lot better than mine, but your journal made my day just a little bit better. I look forward to finding out what they come back as, they are indeed beautiful sketches.

I am really looking forward to finding out about your ASM 129. I have the same book with all three signatures you are getting and I hope that the book comes back in the grade you hope, Keep us up to date on that too. Now get some sleep and bask in the glory of what a great day you had.

Wow, sounds like you had an amazing time! I know that had to cost quite a bit but you made some great memories and shrewd "investments". :)

Looking forward to reading more from you!