• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Appearance of Doomsday??

262 posts in this topic

Isn't the print run in the millions?!
smiley_nah.gif

Near a million? hm

smiley_nah.gif

Man of Steel #18 had Capital City Distribution orders of 26,350 copies.

Capital City was probably 20% to 25% of DC's direct market, so that would be 105,000 to 135,000 copies for #18.

Newsstand version of #18 was likely to be significant as well, but generally wasn't as "well kept" in terms of condition.

The Capital City number for Man of Steel #19 was 96,700 copies, which points to 400,000 to 500,000 direct market copies for #19... and significant numbers for newsstand as well.

It's pretty clear that Man of Steel #18 was literally just before the print runs went insane.

(Which probably explains why #18 had to go back to additional printings so many times.)

There's no question that there were alot of printed copies of 17 or 18. The real issue at hand is: how many are 9.8 or better?

Seen a buncha 9.6s and lower. I'd be curious to know how many are actually in that upper echelon (9.8+) of quality that are first prints and have good PQ as well.

There's also been confusion about what the "first appearance" of Doomsday is, as evidenced by the relatively inexpensive #18s and the more highly priced #17s. The cameo in 17 is was some have assumed is the more key issue when in actuality it appears that 18 is the gem ala Hulk 180 vs 181. It appears the same circumstance has prevailed. Alot of folks selling the raw #17s for what a graded #17 has gone for over the last coupla years, whereas #18 is selling or has sold for alot less as a raw and the graded versions are selling for roughly double or triple....now octuple the amt.

That's quickly coming to a close however as most of the online 1st prints have been scooped up or are getting scooped up. The lurkers are evident.

There are a couple of other titles that are seemingly other appearances of Doomsday that folks have priced fairly highly, but 18 has been overlooked until just about now.....when there has been clarity about what is desireable.

Isn't the print run in the millions?!
smiley_nah.gif

Near a million? hm

smiley_nah.gif

Man of Steel #18 had Capital City Distribution orders of 26,350 copies.

Capital City was probably 20% to 25% of DC's direct market, so that would be 105,000 to 135,000 copies for #18.

Newsstand version of #18 was likely to be significant as well, but generally wasn't as "well kept" in terms of condition.

The Capital City number for Man of Steel #19 was 96,700 copies, which points to 400,000 to 500,000 direct market copies for #19... and significant numbers for newsstand as well.

It's pretty clear that Man of Steel #18 was literally just before the print runs went insane.

(Which probably explains why #18 had to go back to additional printings so many times.)

(thumbs u

I just wanted to say: I know you lurkers are out there....I can hear you breathing.

That and the fact that every singular MOS 17 and 18 worth it's salt for reasonable price (and some not so reasonable) have been scooped up in record time.

I have 1 newsstand copy,1 direct copy and 1 2nd print, all 3 are 9.8's along with the 3 copies of MOS 17 I have.

Cool bro. I just find it humorous when folks think that what's posted here in the forums doesn't matter in the market. There's sometimes subtle but immediate movement often and it directly correlates with what's posted in these threads.

It's too synchronistic to be coincidental.

So I decided to do an ebay search after just reading the last few posts-Are you kidding me already on the prices being asked for these books.

1st apperances are king :)

I agree. What I am not as big of a fan of is books like Justice League of America 1, Green Lantern 1, Flash 105, Iron Man 1, etc....They aren't first....or second....or third... :ohnoez:

So I decided to do an ebay search after just reading the last few posts-Are you kidding me already on the prices being asked for these books.

I agree. What I am not as big of a fan of is books like Justice League of America 1, Green Lantern 1, Flash 105, Iron Man 1, etc....They aren't first....or second....or third... :ohnoez:

1st issues are Queen!

1st appearances also rule. :grin:

First appearances also rule.

When starting a sentence you never use the number, you spell it out. (tsk)

If you're going to correct, get it right. :P

First appearances also rule.

When starting a sentence you never use the number, you spell it out. (tsk)

If you're going to correct, get it right. :P

1992 was the year of Doomday's 1st appearance.

240,000 copies, give or take, were printed.

9.8 is the CGC grade of two copies with bids over $200 currently on ebay.

Don't make up grammar rules. :kidaround: