• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Appearance of Doomsday??

262 posts in this topic

"Don’t start a sentence with a numeral. Make it “Fourscore and seven years ago,” not “4 score and 7 years ago.” That means you might have to rewrite some sentences: “Fans bought 400,000 copies the first day” instead of “400,000 copies were sold the first day.”

It's more of a guideline...

When seeking to condescend, one must always cover ones .

So I decided to do an ebay search after just reading the last few posts-Are you kidding me already on the prices being asked for these books.

1st apperances are king :)

1st appearances also rule. :grin:

First appearances also rule.

When starting a sentence you never use the number, you spell it out. (tsk)

If you're going to correct, get it right. :P

Spelling police is here!

You know I find it funny.... a few months ago MoS #18 would have been selling for less than $50. There were alot of them, now I just checked ebay and hold and behold there's one thats selling for more than $200 (MORE THAN $200) That is just insane..... Oh the power that this message board has.......

You know I find it funny.... a few months ago MoS #18 would have been selling for less than $50. There were alot of them, now I just checked ebay and hold and behold there's one thats selling for more than $200 (MORE THAN $200) That is just insane..... Oh the power that this message board has.......

:winnah:

:winnah:

Ha, I wonder how true this really is...

hm

Quickly.... somebody start a tread saying that X-men #1 (90s comics) has only a print run of 8 million.... that's less than one copy per person that's living on earth

:gossip:

Haven't you heard, availability has nothing to do with market value?

WD1

IH181

NM98

There are THOUSANDS of these in the census in all grades, yet people pay out the nose for them. On top of that there are THOUSANDS more that are yet to be CGCd (which will increase rapidly as values eventually drop).

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." - Spock

I agree print run has some to do with value but its not everything! I think some of you guys overstate print run. If theres demand that can't be met it doesn't matter how many copies there are. I have thousands of comics and spend TONS but I don't have a IH181. I really want one though. I don't see Wolverine becoming some sap no one cares about anytime soon. Another point one of these pristine copies of high printed X-Factor 5, NM 98 and MOS 18 are only a couple hundred dollars. It's not like we're talking thousands of dollars. So is it that hard to believe there are a thousand Deadpool fans willing to spend on a 9.8. My point is print run doesn't have to be the end all for a comic. There are easily a few thousand fans of each character. However when dealing with an unknown PP, East of West etc print could be huge because lack of an established fan base.

Sorry or rambling long day!

I agree print run has some to do with value but its not everything! I think some of you guys overstate print run. If theres demand that can't be met it doesn't matter how many copies there are. I have thousands of comics and spend TONS but I don't have a IH181. I really want one though. I don't see Wolverine becoming some sap no one cares about anytime soon. Another point one of these pristine copies of high printed X-Factor 5, NM 98 and MOS 18 are only a couple hundred dollars. It's not like we're talking thousands of dollars. So is it that hard to believe there are a thousand Deadpool fans willing to spend on a 9.8. My point is print run doesn't have to be the end all for a comic. There are easily a few thousand fans of each character. However when dealing with an unknown PP, East of West etc print could be huge because lack of an established fan base.

Sorry or rambling long day!

Fair points. Print run will ultimately hold back a good comic from being great. No matter how big Wolverine gets, it is unlikely that Hulk 181 becomes like AF15 or Action 1. There are just too many high grade copies available to drive prices that high.

I agree Hulk 181 will always be worth something (at least for the next generation). I predict that WD 1, NM 98, X-Factor 5 and MOS 18 will all have their perspective bubbles (WD is in the midst of the downside on its bubble) but their value will shrink far below the $1,000 mark. Once the larger popular craze wears off, only the comic collectors and die-hard fans will be left - and unfortunately there are more than enough 9.8 copies of these comics to go around.

Now, there is still a ton of money to be made if you get in at the right time. First appearances of the next round of heroes/villains are certainly strong investment candidates. I am buying some now behind speculation and crossing my fingers films become reality so that once release dates are announced I can right the train up and sell prior to the first public showing. Waiting past that point is an entirely different risk!

Question: What more would need to happen for Doomsday to be as important as Venom?

Comparing the original print runs, MOS 18 is significantly lower than ASM 300.

Comparing the CGC census, MOS 18 is significantly lower than ASM 300.

Comparing the prices, MOS 18 is significantly lower than ASM 300.

So, demand is obviously higher for ASM 300, or else the prices for MOS 18 would be significantly higher than ASM 300.

Demand is lower for MOS 18, so what would it take for 1st full Doomsday to be as important as 1st full Venom?

Question: What more would need to happen for Doomsday to be as important as Venom?

So, demand is obviously higher for ASM 300, or else the prices for MOS 18 would be significantly higher than ASM 300.

Demand is lower for MOS 18, so what would it take for 1st full Doomsday to be as important as 1st full Venom?

A movie featuring Doomsday. Short, sweet, simple. :)

A movie featuring Doomsday. Short, sweet, simple. :)

That may be the "first" step, but Venom is in the top three of widely recognized Spider-man villains. He is an accessible character, tied inextricably to both Peter Parker and Spider-man and his power level lends him to be a believable reoccurring nemesis.

To get the level of recognition needed, Doomsday will have to be brought back successfully into the modern books as a reoccurring villain. Unfortunately, his powers are so epic, that it requires major plot revisions, strange universal loop holes and multiple heroes to defeat him. My 2c would be that Doomsday can only become like Venom if they "power-him-down" enough to become a reoccurring character for Superman to battle single-handed.

Not saying it can't be done, but one movie does not an arch nemesis make.

Side note - this doesn't mean that if Doomsday is announced that there wouldn't be rapid growth in MOS 18 - of course there will be (even beyond what we have seen of late). It was just framed against asking what needed to be true to make Doomsday like Venom. Which is an excellent question!

Already been rumors circulating of a MOS 2 Doomsday tease and a JLA Doomsday as the main villain. He's one of the only characters out there that would necessitate mobilizing the entire league. Darkseid would be another, but there are persistent rumors that DC now wants to not use him initially because Thanos is going to appear in the Avengers.

Then again, it's all rumors at this point.

My thoughts are he's going to appear in MOS 3 and kick off a Death of Superman arc. That would be uber cool to see on the big screen and it would open up an entire new trilogy afterwards when Supes comes back to life.

Wasn't Doomsday just a flash in the pan? Granted, a very big flash during the early 90's Death of Superman hype, but did he ever surface in other story lines? It seems like he was introduced in MOS 18, ran his course over a dozen or so books, and then fell off the map.

after the "death" he did appeared on some stroyline (Hunter/Prey, Final Crisis, Reign of Doomsday - just to name a few) I think, what the writers problem for Doomsday is that, the writers don't know what to do with him....... They made him less powerfull, (didn't do well), gave him some humanity (same result), cloned him, made him smarter...... and everything in between..... and they still don't know what to do with him.

In the next few months (Villian Month) for DC, I think in Superman/Batman, they're gonna be feturing Doomsday. might be a fun read.....