• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Crow & the Comic Book

5 posts in this topic

Since I'm just starting to look at the "Pre-Golden Age", I was wondering if there are references to segregation in America in any comic books that were published prior to the War era. Does anyone know of any books that may illustrate references to segregated society and/or perhaps recommend any articles/publications?

Thanks for any insight,

John

One story comes first to mind but it's not quite on topic. It's The Guilty! from Shock SuspenStories # 3 by Feldstein & Wood. Here's the GCD Synopsis:A bigot sheriff arrests a black man for the death of a white woman based on the testimony of a man who turns out to be the killer. The sheriff executes the suspect in the woods and claims he made a break for it.

I'll be interested to hear more on this topic.

This goes way into the pre-golden age, but it's a unique and visually stunning story of a young African-American's adventures in the "big city." From 1902, I'm not aware of it every being reprinted.

1275344-mose2.jpg