newshane's nerd-world problems...
4 4

456 posts in this topic

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

Picked up a copy of Alien Worlds #1 this morning. I know...I know...it's "just" a 9.6 but I got it for $10!

I would have preferred a 9.8 copy, but not at 8x the price.

I'm a big fan of this cover and can't wait to put it on display back here in the man cave. Hot space babe? Check. Tranquil shades of purple and an enormous satellite hanging in an alien sky? Check. SPACE LIZARD? Check. I feel relaxed when I look at this cover...like I've been transported there to enjoy the view.

I'm also quite happy with the price. This is a good-looking 9.6 copy. I think I'm starting to get addicted to Copper Age books.

alien_zps150e0c74.jpg

mysterio   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 12,162 posts

The price spreads between 9.8 and 9.6 can be pretty stupid, but if you don't mind 9.6s you can get some really pretty books for a discount.

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

You have excellent taste. Copper is a bouquet of awesomeness.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=8880&GSub=629

Oh my GOD seanfingh!

That books is :cloud9:

Wow!

:applause:

BTW, just an observation - Joe Chiodo knows EXACTLY how to draw/paint a woman's body.

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

I'm a fan of the Borg. Killer robots, remember?

Well, I decided to watch a few Voyager episodes. I watched the first part of "Scorpion" because I wanted to revisit the awesome space battle scenes between the Borg and Species 8472. Unfortunately, I couldn't get over the stiff acting. I don't know I've managed to miss that over the past decade or so. Really unfortunate. I guess I've been watching too many serious dramas lately. Maybe that's got my expectations a little high.

I also attempted to watch the Sci-Fi Network adaptation of Dune. I couldn't get through 30 minutes of it - the most terrible piece of I've seen in a long time. Just horrible. The worms looked pretty awesome, but that's about it. They completely missed the mark on pretty much all of the characters. Paul Atreides was absolutely terrible...as were Thufir, Leto, Jessica...can we just forget this show ever existed?

seanfingh   
  • 41,520 posts

You have excellent taste. Copper is a bouquet of awesomeness.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=8880&GSub=629

Oh my GOD seanfingh!

That books is :cloud9:

Wow!

:applause:

BTW, just an observation - Joe Chiodo knows EXACTLY how to draw/paint a woman's body.

He is a great talent. Kudos to Rich Henn for tracking him down for signatures.

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

Got a few dozen raws packaged up and ready for Joeypress @ CFP Comics. I've heard a lot of good things about his work and I'm excited to see what he can do. I'm also looking forward to the results of his pre-screen. Hopefully I've done a good job of selecting candidates.

I've had mixed results in the past. I only have one pressed book on the registry - out of over 240 slabs.I'm also not one of those people who press every submission, but over the course of the last year I've collected a number of books that could definitely benefit from the procedure. Some of these books are pretty hard to find even in "pressable" condition. As a result, I don't really have a problem with "cleaning" up these books. In the past, I've worked with Matt Nelson, but he's kind of priced himself out of consideration lately. Joey is quite a bit cheaper and I'm largely going off the recommendation of the board this time. I look forward to reporting the results in a future blog entry.

In other news of the nerd, I'm still awaiting word on the Capullo signatures from the Chicago Comic Con. Waiting impatiently, might I add.

I'm also struggling with the thought of adding Yellow Labels to my registry. My original goal was to collect Universal Labels, but I'm getting impatient. Besides, I get more points for signature books.

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

Got my CGC plaque through the mail today! Looks really nice in person. Now I have to figure out where it will go in the man cave. I'm looking forward to adding a "Modern Age" award one day in the near future.

CGCAward_zpsdd4412ff.jpg

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

Saw the following toy on eBay last week and decided to spring for it. I wasn't interested in the toy at all; I was interested in the comic book inside of the box. I'm not sure why there is a slot for this comic on the registry. It's one of those books that keep me up at night.

Box1_zpscbaea251.jpg

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

The toy was still sealed and there was little shelf wear. The seller claims he got the toy from the former CFO of Image Comics, who received it as a present from the toy company.

The box was in good shape and so was the toy. Unfortunately, the comic was in absolutely terrible shape. Over the course of time, it appears as though the comic was constantly shifted around in the box. I was not impressed with the packaging at all. I figured they would have packaged the comic in some sort of rigid plastic case or box. But no. The comic was raw and loose inside of the box. I've drawn an arrow to show you where the comic was stuffed inside of the box.

Box3_zpscf41ceea.jpg

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

Very, very disappointed. Good thing I got this on the cheap. Not worth pressing due to the scuff marks. They are the worst I've ever seen on a comic.

Comic1_zpsf631ab9c.jpg

Comic3_zps453d5296.jpg

Comic2_zps0e4155f7.jpg

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

I just don't see how I'll ever get a 9.8 copy of this book.

I'd like to lobby for its removal from the registry, but I don't want to seem like a whiner.

I think there were about a dozen different toy editions released, but only two are on the Spawn Registry. You'd think they'd either add all of them or remove them all.

I'd much prefer they were removed.

Aggravating!

And now I'm stuck with a cheesy toy and a comic.

hm Hmmm...my nephew's birthday is coming up in a few weeks. Looks like he will end up with a vintage Spawn toy!

seanfingh   
  • 41,520 posts

Why does it have to be a 9.8? When I was working on the Marvel Bronze #1 set, there were a number of books that did not, and still do not have a 9.8. The power records entry in that set has a 7.0 as the highest graded because of the record impression on the book.

Get the best copy you can find and be happy! :)

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

I need to break my fixation on the 9.8 grade.

There is an unspoken expectation, it seems, regarding the condition of modern era books. Some people look at the print run numbers and expect to find 9.8 copies at will. I wish it were that simple.

Lots of people (including myself) left the hobby after the burst of the 90s speculation bubble. Then the digital era got ramped up and the circulation numbers nose-dived. Finding minty fresh Spawn books from 2005-2008, for example, is proving to be quite difficult.

Tons of people tossed them or mauled them while thumbing through the quarter bins. People stopped collecting the title. While I don't share the struggles of the Golden Age collector, I'm running into a bit of trouble completing my run of 9.8s.

I agree. It's a shame. I have about a dozen 9.6 slabs I can't bring myself to add. I've bought into the "must be perfect" frame of mind.

While it's insane, it's definitely made collecting a bit more challenging and interesting.

In regards to the toy editions? You're absolutely right. I need to find the best copy I can and learn to live with it. I don't think a 9.8 is possible, given the packaging method of the comic within the toy box.

The truth is that a 9.6 is still a beautiful book. It just doesn't pair well with the OCD collector, who has to see long runs of perfection.

Sad that I feel that way...but I am loosening up.

seanfingh   
  • 41,520 posts

Well, I am certainly not telling you how to feel or how you should enjoy your collection, but I did want to point out that there are some books that don't have a 9.8 and likely never will, and it is not just Golden Age stuff.

I hope you can find enjoyment in tracking down a top notch copy of that book, 9.8 or not.

newshane   
  • 2,780 posts

I just purchased a "9.6 NM+" comic from Mycomicshop (Lonestar Comics).

The book looks incredible in the picture. The jet black spine looks perfect. I heard that this company is really strict on their grades, as long as you purchase the more expensive books which are graded on the 10 point scale.

I decided to roll the dice. I've heard their books usually come back a bit higher than advertised. Stay tuned for future updates.

It's been a few years since I've done business with them. I remember they had good packaging. I was disappointed in the condition of the books, but they were cheaper comics so the grading wasn't as strict.

I'm pretty pumped. One of my favorite covers! :wishluck:

...and yes...I'm looking for a 9.8...especially considering that I paid a rather premium price. But I can't be disappointed with a 9.6.

seanfingh   
  • 41,520 posts

I mostly do cheap bulk with MCS (and with Mile High) ordering 5-10 copies of the same book hoping for one 9.8. It has been moderately successful, with a couple big flops. Anyone need 20 copies of Justice League Europe in 9.2-9.4?

Best of luck with this one!

Doc Joe   
  • 9,701 posts

I mostly do cheap bulk with MCS (and with Mile High) ordering 5-10 copies of the same book hoping for one 9.8. It has been moderately successful, with a couple big flops. Anyone need 20 copies of Justice League Europe in 9.2-9.4?

Best of luck with this one!

Been looking for more of a 9.0 JLE , don't really want to go all the way to 9.2, sorry

Stick to your quest Shane; you know Spawns should be 9.9s always so your 9.8s are already a compromise

:makepoint: