• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine vs. The Hellfire Club

9 posts in this topic

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1032181

There have been a number of pages from X-Men 133 including the cover that have changed hands fairly recently. I'm not much of a pen and ink collector anymore. When I began collecting paintings from trading card sets from the early and mid 90's there were two pieces I really wanted. The first one was Wolverine versus Spider-Man from the 1994 Fleer Ultra X-Men set. I remember opening a pack down at the corner store with my friends and thinking how awesome it was seeing Wolverine and Spider-Man square off. I was able to pick up the original art to that at the end of last year.

The the other piece I really wanted was Wolverine versus the Hellfire Club from the 1994 Fleer Ultra X-Men set. I tracked down the artist (Peter Bollinger) of that piece. I forget how exactly I tracked it all but I wound up getting his mailing address and shot off an actual real physical letter. He did have a representation on the web but it was for commercial art and he pretty much only works digitally. I have found sending emails to these types of reps looking for old art is very hit and miss whether they even respond back.

I received an email from Peter. He told me that unfortunately the Wolverine vs. Hellfire Club piece was long gone. He also told me a lot of his art doesn't survive what he lovingly calls "storage". I didn't know if the painting was destroyed or had been sold. He told me that he would look through his stuff to see what he still had and I could deal with his brother Simon who handles all of his business. Surprise Surprise Simon works for the company that reps Peter for his current commercial work.

Simon congratulated me on finding his brother and he told me he knew that a Scarlet Witch painting from a Spider-Man set and the Hellfire Club painting were sold in a gallery in NYC many many years ago.

Shortly there after he forwarded me a list of what Peter had laying around his studio. Guess what was still laying around there. Wolverine versus the Hellfire Club! Even better despite being used for a trading card the painting is on 23 x 18 inch board, with an image area of approximately 22 X 17 so it's fairly large.

To me Wolverine down in the sewers and then taking on the Hellfire Club is his defining moment. Byrne had been building him up ever since issue 109 and this is when he just went off. As far as I know, this is the only published painting of Wolverine taking on the guards down in the basement of the Hellfire Club. Sure the White Queen may not have been down there directing traffic in the actual story but is anyone really going to complain about her appearing in the painting in her slutty little outfit? There was also published pin up painting of Wolverine in the Hellfire Club by Lou Harrison but he is taking on the Inner Circle and that unmitigated fool Leland.

Is there a good contact you would be willing to give for either him or his brother to see what else they have on hand? Also Congrat's it really does look amazing. I have ben looking for a few of the Marvel Masterpiece card art from that time frame as well.

K