• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks Bomber-Bob! I bought a raw copy at the Kansas City Planet Con last month & was hooked :) Saw this copy for what was a VERY reasonable price & boom, fired the money cannon :) 

I know the feeling - got hooked by a World of Fantasy 19 back in 2009. That led to Strange Worlds, Amazing Adventures (and Amazing Adult Fantasy) then the Big 4 (ST, JIM, TTA & TOS).

Enjoy the ride with the big goofy monsters!

-bc

2 minutes ago, bc said:

I know the feeling - got hooked by a World of Fantasy 19 back in 2009. That led to Strange Worlds, Amazing Adventures (and Amazing Adult Fantasy) then the Big 4 (ST, JIM, TTA & TOS).

Enjoy the ride with the big goofy monsters!

-bc

Oh I've been on this ride for years & have MANY raw books not scanned yet, but I will get around to showing them!!! LOVE some Pre-hero Marvels <3 

8 hours ago, bc said:

3 solid books :headbang:

Always liked the cover perspective on ST80.

Prefer Gargantus over Strawman...where's the torch wielding man in the mob when you need him?

-bc

Thanks much bc!!! Agreed, I dig that perspective too!!! A buddy recently picked one up which upon review, put it on my want list :) 

Although more impressive on a comic cover, word on the street is that Strawman is somewhat more formidable in the courtroom hm

44 minutes ago, mysterio said:

How do we let the best thread in the SA room fall to the second page? I blame myself.

Here are my latest pickups. Some may think they are too early for this thread, but as early issues of one of the Big Four pre-hero titles I think they count. I have been making some strides in my JIM collection this year and am really enjoying it.

Great way to bump this thread @mysterio! (thumbsu

Always like to see the early JIM and ST issues. Figure you probably snagged a couple in this auction.

Is it just my lack of finding them or have there been fewer high grade (8.0+) PHMs for sale lately? Haven't seen much from Clink or CC for several auctions now (but Clink had a slew of low & mid-grade PHMs in the last auction). For a while there was so many in each auction I had to pick and choose based on funds, haven't seen that happen in many moons.

Might have to go back in this thread and see how many posts are bad because of photo-suckit to keep this thread on page 1....

-bc

1 hour ago, bc said:

Great way to bump this thread @mysterio! (thumbsu

Always like to see the early JIM and ST issues. Figure you probably snagged a couple in this auction.

Is it just my lack of finding them or have there been fewer high grade (8.0+) PHMs for sale lately? Haven't seen much from Clink or CC for several auctions now (but Clink had a slew of low & mid-grade PHMs in the last auction). For a while there was so many in each auction I had to pick and choose based on funds, haven't seen that happen in many moons.

Might have to go back in this thread and see how many posts are bad because of photo-suckit to keep this thread on page 1....

-bc

I got the JIM #2 and a mid-run ST (which will remain anonymous as it is a gift) as well as the 7.5 TOS #7 last month (forgot to post a scan of this one too), and just the JIM #17 this month. And I'm still overdrawn in my collection fund! :cry:

6.0-7.5 tends to be my range in these books, and for the early issues I tend to shoot for 6.0-6.5 as there is decent eye appeal for the price. I've been both excited and scared for the availability of nice 6.0s lately (scared because of what I might spend). Maybe in some of the upper class Clink auctions coming up we will see some.

Edited by mysterio

On 4/6/2018 at 8:53 AM, mysterio said:

How do we let the best thread in the SA room fall to the second page? I blame myself.

Here are my latest pickups. Some may think they are too early for this thread, but as early issues of one of the Big Four pre-hero titles I think they count. I have been making some strides in my JIM collection this year and am really enjoying it.

RAD89A8B2018126_124844.jpg

00295090860000110970693007.jpg

It says 1975 on the number 17.  Should it have been 57 or something?

10 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

12 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

It says 1975 on the number 17.  Should it have been 57 or something?

June 1975 is the cover date of Journey Into Mystery Volume 2 #17.  I think that's the mistake they made.

Yeah, the book is mislabeled and will have to be fixed.