• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,010 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, bc said:

I won this AA2 via a CLink auction in 2014, right after found out our own Bronty was the seller!

AA_2.jpg

I believe that that copy had been highest graded, and may very well still be. Great pickup!

10 hours ago, mysterio said:

2018 continues to be the year of JIM for me. 

768D646B-C0CB-4279-8E4F-655909BA61AF.jpeg

:headbang: Nice pedigreed pickup! That one was on my tracking list along with the 46. Did you get that one as they both closed for the same price?

-bc

3 minutes ago, bc said:

:headbang: Nice pedigreed pickup! That one was on my tracking list along with the 46. Did you get that one as they both closed for the same price?

-bc

I think I came in 3rd on the #46. It was on my radar, but between the two books I would rather have had this one due to the pedigree and PQ. I'm hoping to go after a few more books, so I wasn't interested in going super hard after the #46.

Just now, mysterio said:

I think I came in 3rd on the #46. It was on my radar, but between the two books I would rather have had this one due to the pedigree and PQ. I'm hoping to go after a few more books, so I wasn't interested in going super hard after the #46.

It will be a Clink and NFL Draft night watching party for me tonight and tomorrow....oh yeah, with a few of these thrown in for good measure

beer_photo_draught_pint.jpg.a8937cbb7c15d57c594f1f6c2638c754.jpg

Good luck man!

-bc

10 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I know the whole point is that they're pre-hero, but this is a heroic accomplishment, bc.

Thanks man! Proud to finally be a steward of a full set.

Now comes the "whats next?". Haven't really ventured into anything else the last few years and not sure I want to try anything bigger than this, in fact, probably set my sites on a smaller niche/group/subset, just haven't locked onto it yet.

21 minutes ago, bc said:

Now comes the "whats next?". Haven't really ventured into anything else the last few years and not sure I want to try anything bigger than this, in fact, probably set my sites on a smaller niche/group/subset, just haven't locked onto it yet.

Seriously, well done.  This is an amazing accomplishment.  (worship)

Have you ever considered branching out into other "Atom Age" books?  The big EC titles could keep you busy for a lifetime.

Alternatively, I'm hearing Eternals #1 is RED HOT.  :devil:

48 minutes ago, bc said:

Not that I relish any more competition for these books, but you could take ST and JIM back to #1. Plenty of other Atlas horror that is incredibly cool as well.

37 minutes ago, bc said:

Unreal accomplishment!  I guess you could always work on upgrading?

Next time try for an easier group of books to get together...maybe a full Planet run, or all the Hitler covers. :banana: 

20 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Not that I relish any more competition for these books, but you could take ST and JIM back to #1. Plenty of other Atlas horror that is incredibly cool as well.

I've thought about that quite a few times as I was getting close to finishing the set, but given my OCD collecting nature, afraid to even crack open the PCH door. So there's one less competitor :)

I might upgrade here and there as entalmighty1 suggested as well as add the 4 or 5 Kirby PHM-style westerns (thanks for the reminder KJ!).

EC is interesting. Sold all my bronze/silver Marvel superheroes many moons ago - guess I should have kept that mint Eternals 1 after all ! Been a Timely/Atlas/Marvel zombie my whole life, might have to explore other publishers....

Probably gonna peruse the Photo-Journals and old Overstreets this weekend and see if anything grabs me...might sell off my PHM dupes and undercopies to start that fund (somehow I wound up with 250 books after completing the 178 issue PHM set)

Thanks for the kudos and ideas all!

-bc

The Kirby western "monster" books are almost a requirement for a man in your situation, bc!

However, those books are quickly becoming much less affordable! I will say, tho, that I recommend that any collector of vintage comics buy Rawhide Kid #17 if the opportunity presents itself. I consider it an immense SA key.