• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, bc said:

:golfclap:Well you are certainly building a nice JIM set over the past year or so! How many ya got to go?

-bc

Thanks! :blush: I've got about half the set, most of them are graded. I'd been getting toward the end of my pre-hero TTA and TOS runs, so working more seriously on ST and JIM seemed like the next logical steps. I've been lucky to get a good batch of JIMs knocked out this year. Hopefully there are more to come!

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:01 PM, mysterio said:
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, KirbyJack said:

I consider Tales Of Suspense #2 to be Ditko’s best cover. (Sorry, PCH guys!)

I’ve always thought his best were AAF #9 or 13.

Also thought I would illustrate the point I made a week ago with my copies. Even if you ignore the obvious appeal of #15 this is one of the finest runs of 14 books in Marvel's history.

AAF09CGC.jpg

AAF13CGC.jpg

I’ve always had a problem with AAF 13.

The beastie’s left side is all wrong; you can see where it was intended to be, but the finished version bothers me. I have no idea what that straight line is.

I’m still going with TOS 2!

15 hours ago, mysterio said:

Just got this in hand, they must have really hammered it for that tiny piece off the upper right corner as it looks much better than 7.5.

TOS14CGC75sm.jpg

Agree with you - sure looks nice for a 7.5!

41 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

The beastie’s left side is all wrong; you can see where it was intended to be, but the finished version bothers me. I have no idea what that straight line is.

I don’t disagree with you about the left side of the creature, but the overall composition of that cover saves it for me. I can’t think of a more engrossing cover of a pre-hero book. If I’d seen that book on the newsstand back in the day I’d have been 12 cents poorer as fast as my hand could get into my pocket. 

40 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

You're killing me man! AAF13 was one of my favorite covers until you pointed that out. After checking my reader copy, the undersea giants do have enough of a human style torso that there is no reason for that left "line". But the story is still very solid, love the skinned knuckles ending.

3 minutes ago, bc said:

You're killing me man! AAF13 was one of my favorite covers until you pointed that out. After checking my reader copy, the undersea giants do have enough of a human style torso that there is no reason for that left "line". But the story is still very solid, love the skinned knuckles ending.

I also hadn’t considered that bit of anatomical problem until I read a post on that on the boards. It does bug me, but not enough to knock the cover out of my top pre-hero books. 

5 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I also hadn’t considered that bit of anatomical problem until I read a post on that on the boards. It does bug me, but not enough to knock the cover out of my top pre-hero books. 

(thumbsu

10 hours ago, bc said:

Sorry! 

I hate when I bust people’s bubbles like that. There’s a guy at work that I can’t talk Star Wars with for fear of breaking his heart!

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Picked this up this past weekend at North Texas. 

A8890ACE-15C2-497B-9FD2-2638595430D2.jpeg

Great book - love that you can see the window adds thru the man! Really sweet looking copy for right before the Implosion.

Also cool how Everett worked his name backwards as the store title :)

Thanks for sharing!

-bc

2 hours ago, bc said:

Great book - love that you can see the window adds thru the man! Really sweet looking copy for right before the Implosion.

Also cool how Everett worked his name backwards as the store title :)

Thanks for sharing!

-bc

Great pickup on his backwards name, that had slipped past me!

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I bought a replacement copy of Strange Tales 75! I went from a 1.0 all the way up to a 1.8! That’s almost a whole number! Taboo baby!

I didn’t actually intend to buy it; I picked it up with a tracking bid, but it’s still a keeper!

Think I may be in the same boat as you on that issue xD

st_75_cropped.jpg