• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Mucheee1 said:

Another book from my PHM collection.

BFB2166E-5598-4F77-927C-733B03F598F4.jpeg

:cloud9: I love this series. To me it sort of started the whole PHM era, even though it pretty much stayed with a sci-fi focus as opposed to embracing the goofy monsters.

strange_worlds_set.jpg

Edited by bc
yes, I know there are two #3's in the pic

59 minutes ago, bc said:

:cloud9: I love this series. To me it sort of started the whole PHM era, even though it pretty much stayed with a sci-fi focus as opposed to embracing the goofy monsters.

strange_worlds_set.jpg

I can’t help thinking of the 1965 film 

“Attack of the

the Eye Creatures”.

1 hour ago, Mucheee1 said:

The #5 is the only SW I have, and I got that one back in the mid 90’s through the CBG. I’ve been too lax in getting the rest. Need to do something about that.

Here is another book from the collection.

1A94B850-1322-414E-809C-D78FC0F17F2C.jpeg

Very nice book and you get +100 Street Cred points with me for mentioning CBG :)

I was buying high-grade back issues of the '70's Astonishing Tales issues that had Colossus and Fin Fang Foom from a dealer (Nelson Dodd) in the early '80s. He leaned over and said if I like those, I should check out these earlier books he had and pointed me to a different long box. My first PHM I bought was an AAF 11. Bought a few more here and there from Nelson, but was still heavily into SA heroes for many years after.

Didn't really know much about PHM books until OSPG 22 came out in 1992 and it had a large segment on the Atlas Implosion with a fairly accurate timeline and tons of cover pics. I mean I knew they came out before Amazing Spider-Man, FF and the other super-hero titles but never really checked out the actual history about that time period in that detail. AAF was the first set completed, which I guess is kinda easy as there are only 8  books.

A few years later, picked up almost a full short-box full of returned PHMs (the ones with the top 1/3 of the cover torn away) at a garage sale for a nickel a piece. Read them to they melted-still have a couple.

So did anyone else migrate from the SA hero issues to the PHMs? As I mentioned before, all the little hints from the SA/BA books "Editor" like "* WAYYYY Back in Tales of Suspense 13!!!" were like challenges to me. That's partially why I was a Marvel zombie - the continuity was embraced & promoted (which is long gone from their books).

I started collecting Strange Tales in the early 90’s. Being a poor college student with no money, I picked up issues for a couple bucks each at the Old Book Store in Jacksonville, FL. They always had plenty of older books in those days.

I love the old Kirby and Ditko books, and so I started branching off into TOS, TTA, and JIM, as well as old Charltons with Ditko art. A friend of mine used to get the CBG every week, and we would look through it and order books when we had the money. We would also go to local comic book shows in Gainesville, FL where we lived. I took my girl friend (now wife) to her first show back then, and she loved it and started collecting as well.

I also have OSPG 22, which is great reference for PHM era books. 

On 9/21/2018 at 3:08 PM, bc said:

strange_worlds_set.jpg

I’d agree. It’s pretty key for determining the tenor of that era, and kind of fits/bridges the similar focus in the first 5 issues of TOS/TTA. The monster in #3 is kind of a prototype for what comes later (and one of our first looks at the life on Planet X).

(And if you ever part with that 8.0 #1 please keep me in mind.)

Edited by mysterio