• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I posted this in the CG Clink thread as well, but it’s just as appropriate here. Paid a bit more than I thought I’d have to, but I am happy to have it. 

4A45AFB8-CC44-4F7A-8AC7-F6E916902E7D.jpeg

Awesome pickup!

I figured you'd be showing off at least one JIM from this CLink auction :)

-bc

On 9/21/2018 at 5:04 PM, bc said:

So did anyone else migrate from the SA hero issues to the PHMs? 

I started in on them virtually as soon as I saw that they were available. I spent years being a Kirby completist, so it was all fair game.

I do vividly recall getting mocked for buying them; even by comic buying friends!

How ya like me now, fanboys?!

The books I transitioned to were the Kirby westerns. Really went after those when I completed PHM, and notsomuch before.

5 hours ago, mysterio said:

I posted this in the CG Clink thread as well, but it’s just as appropriate here. Paid a bit more than I thought I’d have to, but I am happy to have it. 

4A45AFB8-CC44-4F7A-8AC7-F6E916902E7D.jpeg

Great looking book, excellent eye appeal on this one. Other than that bottom right corner crease it looks awesome. Let us know what the BC looks like when you get it because it looks 8.0 to me. BTW, you never  see this book book anywhere. It could be the first time I have seen this cover. Love it . Congrats !

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Great looking book, excellent eye appeal on this one. Other than that bottom right corner crease it looks awesome. Let us know what the BC looks like when you get it because it looks 8.0 to me. BTW, you never  see this book book anywhere. It could be the first time I have seen this cover. Love it . Congrats !

It does seem to be a tough book. #58 has had a reputation for being difficult but I’ve seen more of them than #60.

I'm also impressed by the fresh appearance of the book based on the scan. I’ll post a BC scan when it comes in. 

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:
3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I started in on them virtually as soon as I saw that they were available. I spent years being a Kirby completist, so it was all fair game.

I do vividly recall getting mocked for buying them; even by comic buying friends!

How ya like me now, fanboys?!

The books I transitioned to were the Kirby westerns. Really went after those when I completed PHM, and notsomuch before.

I remember buying my first TTA(93-I've went on about that a bunch of times before) and being hooked,such a COOL title! I started seeking out the other "Tales" books and noticed with earlier hero issues there would be these great short paged sci fi stories that soon became my favourites.I was pretty young and green at the time,just learning,and thought the early,non hero books I was told of by the clerk at the shop I visited every Saturday during that summer of 1988 must be the rarest books in the world! This was one of those long gone dusty shops in a rough part of town that sold records,had box upon long box of comics on tables and the floor and an adult section in the back!After many afternoons spent happily digging I was rewarded with my first,and I never stopped looking.Before joining up here after a long hiatus from comics I thought I was doing great with my forty or so examples of what I didn't know were called PHM lol 

I started on them back in the very late 80s while still in high school. I was a Spider-man and Hulk fan, so in addition to their main titles I also started going after TTA for the Hulk stories (didn't really care about Ant/Giant Man back then). While looking for TTA at shops and the one show I could get to (the OG Chicago Comicon, Christmas in July every year) I started stumbling across the first pre-hero Marvels I got to see. I started buying TTAs way back then, too bad I never bought any of the #13s or #27s I saw!

14 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I started on them back in the very late 80s while still in high school. I was a Spider-man and Hulk fan, so in addition to their main titles I also started going after TTA for the Hulk stories (didn't really care about Ant/Giant Man back then). While looking for TTA at shops and the one show I could get to (the OG Chicago Comicon, Christmas in July every year) I started stumbling across the first pre-hero Marvels I got to see. I started buying TTAs way back then, too bad I never bought any of the #13s or #27s I saw!

Fond, fond memories of those shows :luhv:

I bought my TTA 27 in 1988. Paid $75 whole dollars, because the comic store guy compared it to FF 2. (They knew how to hook me back then.)

That’s really what started my PHM jones; I was a run collector, and I had just bought the biggie...may as well get ‘em all.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Awesome copy of a difficult book. The colors pop ! Congrats.

Thanks! Actually got that 3 or 4 years ago, just grabbed a random pic to bump the thread :)