• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

I know that everyone should ultimately collect what he enjoys - I get that. But I'm still a little bummed out that incredibly hard-to-find pre-hero comics like Tales To Astonish #4 or Journey Into Mystery #50 (or any of a hundred other PMHs), for example, don't sell for a fraction of what, say, an Iron Man #55 (1st Thanos) or Hulk #181 (1st Wolverine) does. I can go to a big show and see dozens of copies of both of the latter, while I may not see a single copy of either of the former. I just think that moderate demand + extremely low supply should trump high demand + high supply. I know the open market dictates prices, but it's still leaving me scratching my head in puzzlement over it.

Edited by Getoutandstayout

42 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I know that everyone should ultimately collect what he enjoys - I get that. But I'm still a little bummed out that incredibly hard-to-find pre-hero comics like Tales To Astonish #4 or Journey Into Mystery #50 (or any of a hundred other PMHs), for example, don't sell for a fraction of what, say, an Iron Man #55 (1st Thanos) or Hulk #181 (1st Wolverine) does. I can go to a big show and see dozens of copies of both of the latter, while I may not see a single copy of either of the former. I just think that moderate demand + extremely low supply should trump high demand + high supply. I know the open market dictates prices, but it's still leaving me scratching my head in puzzlement over it.

Well prices aren't exactly super cheap for PHM books anymore. Most of the PHMs in higher grade (8.0+) typically command around a grand or more in recent auctions. That's a pretty good fraction for the same grade of IM55 or IH181 for a much lower demand book. The scarcity makes it feel like I am really hunting for these as opposed to simply shopping for them.

Different hot genres come and go in this hobby - I remember when Bark's Duck books & Little Lulu were being heavily collected. Then the Pre-Code Horror market took off. Good Girl Art is now blazing hot, Baker covers are hitting records. New keys and pseudo-keys have been popping up thanks to the mass media exposure. Classic keys just keep chugging along. We can only hope our time eventually comes around!

What we really need is a Twilight Zone/Night Stalker kind of show that highlights these stories to draw more interest/demand. Look at what happened with TTA13 thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy - demand caused a rise of prices and once people realized how tough that book is in high grade, even the mid grade and low grade copies increased in value. Where would the Walking Dead comics be without the show?

There is almost zero PHM media exposure to an average collector unless they actively seek them out. The lack of continuity and constant reboots in the Marvel Universe is not helping increase interest in the time before caped crusaders at all. As a former silver age superhero collector, I didn't have the desire to collect TOS before 39 or Strange Tales before 101 until I got a little wiser about the PHM genre and the Atlas Implosion that was resurrected as Marvel Comics. It helps that I also had a dealer with an extensive inventory that guided me to the better PHM stories.

Keep the faith and as you said, collect what you enjoy!

-bc

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I personally enjoy the fact that these comics aren’t skyrocketing; I’m still considering picking a few up!

But I get you. I don’t know what people are thinking. We need to pump these books as keys! Get in on the flipper dollars! :bigsmile:

LOL - yeah, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Grab 'em while they're being largely ignored by the masses and speculators.

3 hours ago, bc said:

All those books rock but the striking colors on this one really caught my eye!

Your TTA registry set is awesome! Can't compete with your copies except for a pair

tta_21.jpg.149d348f9800f32881754bf9ac73c6c1.jpg

TTA_29.thumb.jpg.373b4ed0463462c01133204dddec93a2.jpg

Sort of surprised you don't have a 27 in your registry set (or maybe you sold it) - that might finally dethrone the almighty Korvac!

Thanks again for posting these museum pieces!

-bc

Those are fantastic copies. I have another raw TTA 21 that came from the Portsmouth VA. collection.

I just haven't had it slabbed yet, but it is a real nice copy that could push an 8.5. I had a 7.0 TTA 27 slabbed by the "other" company. Traded it off a year ago.

1 hour ago, trmoore54 said:

Miss selling all my PHMs... :cry:  But I mostly collect wine now...when I'm not drinking it... :insane:

:tink: My other hobby is self-recycling kegs of Guinness, so I understand your dilemma !

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, trmoore54 said:

Miss selling all my PHMs... :cry:  But I mostly collect wine now...when I'm not drinking it... :insane:

TOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ….I was just wondering about you a couple days ago...  Hope you're doing great, bro . GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Love you guys/gals...yes...I've been away pretty much but I think of you all the time.  I'll connect more soon...my mom passing at 90 this past July has given me a pause...

I have a lot of friends here and you are not forgotten...this is just a respite in my interaction here.  But with Stan's passing I had to get on and join the remembrance...