• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

Another Saturday night, another Svengoolie feature - "Dr. Cyclops" from 1940. Its about a crazy Doctor shrinking animals & people based on a Thrilling Wonder Stories pulp :

Albert Dekker in Dr. Cyclops (1940)34546105-lf

Reminded me of this cover:

image.png.3c4f5f7b67f6969d0e5f0719102aa2d5.png

Of course there are many sci-fi/fantasy/PCH stories of this type (people in bee hives & ant hills anyone?), but this caught my attention because it was released back in 1940. It was directed by  Ernest B. Schoedsack who also did King Kong a few years earlier and was the first horror movie done in 3-strip Technicolor (according to Wiki). 

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, bc said:

Another Saturday night, another Svengoolie feature - "Dr. Cyclops" from 1940. Its about a crazy Doctor shrinking animals & people based on a Thrilling Wonder Stories pulp :

Albert Dekker in Dr. Cyclops (1940)34546105-lf

Reminded me of this cover:

image.png.3c4f5f7b67f6969d0e5f0719102aa2d5.png

Of course there are many sci-fi/fantasy/PCH stories of this type (people in bee hives & ant hills anyone?), but this caught my attention because it was released back in 1940. It was directed by  Ernest B. Schoedsack who also did King Kong a few years earlier and was the first horror movie done in 3-strip Technicolor (according to Wiki). 

Another JIM that I think of in the "tiny people" theme.

JIM19.JPG

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

I just noticed, this PHM Thread has almost as many views as the ASM Thread ………. quite a few views. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

There was a stretch there, before the format change, when this thread was as active as any on the boards. We gave the SA war thread a real run for its money!

Watching the first GotG movie again and keyed in on this exchange:

Image result for gotg 89 times

Hmmm, 89 times? Of all numbers to pick.....is that a hidden reference to honor another earlier PHM legend?

latest?cb=20080801202445

hm

-bc

Edited by bc
words be hard

11 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

If that was an Easter Egg, it was designed for maybe 14 people.

So basically... just this thread.

(thumbsu

Still, of all the potential integers they could use in the -script.....they picked 89.

Until Groot was in the movie, Fin Fang Foom was the only real featured creature in this genre.

Just odd enough to comment on :)

-bc

Edited by bc
typo #1,249

9 hours ago, Mucheee1 said:

Freshly scanned for your enjoyment.

ST85.jpg

What cracks me up on a lot of these PHM covers is how the dialogue demonstrates people's awareness that the creature of the month exists and could be nearby.

If I lived in a world like that, I'm not sure I would leave the house, much less check out the bottom of the ocean!