• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,976 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2019 at 8:19 AM, mysterio said:

#4 and 22 for sure, 24 is not easy either. #2-3 are certainly less common. 

As far as the later issues go, TTA 22 is definitely tough in higher grades. This is the best copy I've found in my quest:

tta_22.jpg.ccee8545ae4557fc30fb306fb43c7b1f.jpg

3 hours ago, bc said:

As far as the later issues go, TTA 22 is definitely tough in higher grades. This is the best copy I've found in my quest:

Nice blues, lots of copies have that slight fade towards gray.

24 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

Very nice #52. It is definitely a tough issue in grade along with #22.

Yes, for JIM I’d agree that #52 is difficult period but especially in grade. 

6 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I know what you mean. One of the reasons I’m content with low grade comics.

I like the beauty of a high grade copy, but there is something really appealing about a solid lower grade book that speaks to the collector in me. I appreciate a well loved book that you can tell passed through a few owners’ hands and was enjoyed

Between TOS #1 and TTA #1, which should cost me less in, say, a 3.0-4.0 grade? Even at that low grade, it's going to push my budget to the edge. I wanted to try and get one of these before the ceiling went even higher. I can forget a JIM #1 or ST #1 - they're out of my league now.

9 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Between TOS #1 and TTA #1, which should cost me less in, say, a 3.0-4.0 grade? Even at that low grade, it's going to push my budget to the edge. I wanted to try and get one of these before the ceiling went even higher. I can forget a JIM #1 or ST #1 - they're out of my league now.

The Strange Tales and Journey #1s are completely different kinds of comics than Astonish or Suspense 1. Atlas pre code horror vs. pre hero Marvel. I'd suspect that the Suspense 1 would fetch a bit more than Astonish 1, simply because Suspense is a more collected title. It will all depend on the individual book, of course. They're close.

9 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Just looking at GPA for these two issues:

TTA 1 - CGC 3.0 = $1,076

TOS 1 - CGC 3.0 = $1,020

So you can take your pick :)

-bc

PS - ST 1 in CGC 3.0 is about double that at $2.040 and JIM 1 is CGC 3.0 is triple at $3,227.

Edited by bc
moar data