• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,999 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Between TOS #1 and TTA #1, which should cost me less in, say, a 3.0-4.0 grade? Even at that low grade, it's going to push my budget to the edge. I wanted to try and get one of these before the ceiling went even higher. I can forget a JIM #1 or ST #1 - they're out of my league now.

Of those two it seems to me that the TOS is the less common book. I see more TTA #1s on the market, but YMMV. Not sure there is any factors that would point to one book over the other besides personal preference and availability. Unless you have a preference I’d probably say to buy whichever one shows up first, assuming you like the copy for the price. Definitely don’t just buy one to buy one, make sure you’ll be excited to own it and not have buyers remorse because the deal/copy wasn’t ultimately worth it. 

Also, while they come up much less often, you might be able to sneak into a low grade (like 1.0-2.0) copy of ST #1 for a similar price. Don’t rule it out entirely. 

This is worth adding to the discussion. I've shown this book here before, but since it was a few years ago our more recently arrived contributors may not have seen it. I'd been looking for a copy of JIM #1 and despairing over ever being able to find a copy I could afford, then this one popped up on Comiclink and I was able to get it for under $600. While it is a 0.5, it is complete and I doubt you would ever find a nicer looking copy for the technical grade. While I no longer own it, it is only because I have since upgraded and traded it as part of the deal. The moral of the story is to not completely give up hope on books you think may be out of your price range, the comic gods will sometimes surprise you in the nicest ways.

JIM01CGC.jpg

The current topic prompted me to see what's doing on ebay. I'm counting 11 TOS #1 and 12 TTA #1! Seems like an unusually high amount. Of course at a glance it looks like a fair amount are priced on the aggressive side.

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

The current topic prompted me to see what's doing on ebay. I'm counting 11 TOS #1 and 12 TTA #1! Seems like an unusually high amount. Of course at a glance it looks like a fair amount are priced on the aggressive side.

That does seem high!

8 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Compare the sales of TTA and TOS #1 with the number of JIM #1s an ST #1s - I see them on eBay (or anywhere else) very seldom in any condition. Kind of odd, since they're weren't part of the WWII paper drives.

Incidentally, I had a chance to buy a mid-grade JIM #1 way back in '97 for $700, which I thought was a king's ransom. I decided against it, thinking it was out of my price range. Why, oh, why?

Edited by Getoutandstayout

9 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Hope nobody minds the tangent, but I'm honestly curious to know how you did your search.  I find that searching for any issue #1 is a nightmare on eBay because eBay insists on matching "1" against "1st" (among other things) -- meaning that you get tons and tons of false positives.  Searching for "tales of suspense 1" is going to match #39, 52, 57, and many many more.  And for any title for which MyComicShop decides to embed "1st Series" in their title description, you are basically going to match every issue in the title.  Forget about searching for Amazing Spider-Man 1, Avengers 1, etc.  So, if anyone has a trick for matching ONLY the numeral "1" and not "1st" or any other word beginning with a 1, that would be awesome.

17 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hope nobody minds the tangent, but I'm honestly curious to know how you did your search.  I find that searching for any issue #1 is a nightmare on eBay because eBay insists on matching "1" against "1st" (among other things) -- meaning that you get tons and tons of false positives.  Searching for "tales of suspense 1" is going to match #39, 52, 57, and many many more.  And for any title for which MyComicShop decides to embed "1st Series" in their title description, you are basically going to match every issue in the title.  Forget about searching for Amazing Spider-Man 1, Avengers 1, etc.  So, if anyone has a trick for matching ONLY the numeral "1" and not "1st" or any other word beginning with a 1, that would be awesome.

Well, there's multiple ways. After you've typed in your search term, say "Tales to Astonish #1", click on the "Advanced" button right next to the "Search" button. That will give you a whole page of various filters and descriptors. Scroll down to "Sellers." Click on "Only include items from" and then pick "Exclude" from the drop down menu, and enter "mycomicsshop" in the box. Voila, MCS will not be included in your search.

You can also use a search operator like the + or - sign.

After you've typed in your search term, say "Tales to Astonish #1", leave a space then type "-series". Voila, MCS will not be included in your search.

You can further refine your search by adding other terms. I don't know if I would use "-1st" since you may be deleting sellers who write redundant things like "TALES OF SUSPENSE #1 CGC 5.5 FN- 1959, Scarce 1st Issue"

You can also refine it by choosing where you want to search under "Categories" in the left column on the search page.

FWIW, I brought the MCS use of "1st series" up in Comics General. Conan responded and is aware of it but didn't see any issues with it.

Getting back to TOS #1, a 1.0 just sold on the boards.

46 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

That is Officially the nicest copy of SW 1 I’ve ever seen.

Thanks. Me too.

5 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Well, there's multiple ways. After you've typed in your search term, say "Tales to Astonish #1", click on the "Advanced" button right next to the "Search" button. That will give you a whole page of various filters and descriptors. Scroll down to "Sellers." Click on "Only include items from" and then pick "Exclude" from the drop down menu, and enter "mycomicsshop" in the box. Voila, MCS will not be included in your search.

You can also use a search operator like the + or - sign.

After you've typed in your search term, say "Tales to Astonish #1", leave a space then type "-series". Voila, MCS will not be included in your search.

You can further refine your search by adding other terms. I don't know if I would use "-1st" since you may be deleting sellers who write redundant things like "TALES OF SUSPENSE #1 CGC 5.5 FN- 1959, Scarce 1st Issue"

You can also refine it by choosing where you want to search under "Categories" in the left column on the search page.

FWIW, I brought the MCS use of "1st series" up in Comics General. Conan responded and is aware of it but didn't see any issues with it.

Getting back to TOS #1, a 1.0 just sold on the boards.

I appreciate the thoughtful response.  Ideally I wouldn't want to completely eliminate MCS, but I guess that strategy could help.  I agree that "-1st" could result in unwanted exclusions, which is why I've never used that technique.