• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,997 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, bc said:

Speaking of recent convention pickups, snagged this Thing today from the Akron-Canton Comic Con as an upgrade. The dealer said this is from the S.S. Wilson Collection (??) - the PQ on them were great and none had any Marvel chipping. I was very surprised by the quantity of PHMs present at this local show, but had to stick to my budget :)

Here's what it replaces:

st_79_cropped.thumb.jpg.d8b43a6527c89e164a9c61169d1857c6.jpg

-bc

I quite like the old one. "The Thing is here! Sep 13". Makes it sound like he's in concert :)

19 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

For whatever reason I dislike half-grades as well.  I wonder how common that is.

5.5 are still sweet looking copies. Just missed 6.0 in the CGC graders eyes, but may still be sweet to YOU. If you thought they were a 6.0. There you are. 

Edited by *Bronze age fan*
Can’t spell

1 hour ago, Mucheee1 said:

A few more books picked up at Hero Con

WOF17.jpg

Bonus points for you (thumbsu WOF is like the red headed stepchild of the PHM set (apologize to all the red headed stepchildren here).

Tough book to find in mid and upper grade!

Best copy I've been able to get, wish the wrap was as good as yours:

WOF_17.jpg.be825fa0e3cff89b59dc3654e5b9e6db.jpg

-bc

9 minutes ago, bc said:

Bonus points for you (thumbsu WOF is like the red headed stepchild of the PHM set (apologize to all the red headed stepchildren here).

Tough book to find in mid and upper grade!

Best copy I've been able to get, wish the wrap was as good as yours:

WOF_17.jpg.be825fa0e3cff89b59dc3654e5b9e6db.jpg

-bc

Seems that any titles that aren’t in the “big 4” that spawned heroes fall into that category to some degree. The “World of” books, Strange Worlds, Uncanny Tales, Journey Into Unknown Worlds, etc. are all great books that just lack the following of the titles that survived into the late 60s. This seems especially true for those that don’t have a pre-code component. 

Edited by mysterio
Can’t spell

46 minutes ago, Rommbu said:

ROMBUU I love him. Besides he is my name-name sake. And then one more, just because I feel like it. 

TTA 20 UK 8.5 OW.JPG

Nice Pence edition, colours are excellent! (I think I'm supposed to put the "u" in there when talking about Pence editions).

Lets make this a double X-rated night:

TTA_20.thumb.jpg.3bd95e576999985d06ada508d8c1300b.jpg

-bc

8 hours ago, mysterio said:

Seems that any titles that aren’t in the “big 4” that spawned heroes fall into that category to some degree. The “World of” books, Strange Worlds, Uncanny Tales, Journey Into Unknown Worlds, etc. are all great books that just lack the following of the titles that survived into the late 60s. This seems especially true for those that don’t have a pre-code component. 

This "World of" book was purchased at the Hero Con by my wife. She doesn't collect the title, but liked the cover art.

WOS1.jpg