• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,997 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, mysterio said:

:cloud9:  :headbang:

Thank you!

I usually do my bidding in real time but the auction was slated to go way past midnight so I just set my proxy bids and woke up this morning to find out that I won TTA #1 and #4 but came in second place on TOS #1, 5, and 24.

Am I remembering correctly that TTA #4 was considered hard to find?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

6 hours ago, bc said:

Nice Pence edition, colours are excellent! (I think I'm supposed to put the "u" in there when talking about Pence editions).

Lets make this a double X-rated night:

TTA_20.thumb.jpg.3bd95e576999985d06ada508d8c1300b.jpg

-bc

Thanks. You also have a nice 8.5 there yourself. I am collecting both cent and pence pre hero Marvel/Atlas comics from 1959 and forth. 
I am only missing Tales to astonish 28 pence and Journey into mystery 74 pence . Not rarer than the other pence variants, I just haven´t found them yet. So if anyone out there have a spare copy, please let me know. 

JIM 58 UK 6.0 CROW.JPG

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thank you!

I usually do my bidding in real time but the auction was slated to go way past midnight so I just set my proxy bids and woke up this morning to find out that I won TTA #1 and #4 but came in second place on TOS #1, 5, and 24.

Am I remembering correctly that TTA #4 was considered hard to find?

First of all, congrats with the 2 very nice books. It still puzzles me a bit, how the TTA 4 can be in 7.0, considering the diagonal crease? - and yes TTA 4 is a tough one. Congrats.

TTA 4 8.0 wow.jpg

4 hours ago, Rommbu said:

First of all, congrats with the 2 very nice books. It still puzzles me a bit, how the TTA 4 can be in 7.0, considering the diagonal crease? - and yes TTA 4 is a tough one. Congrats.

TTA 4 8.0 wow.jpg

Your copy certainly looks a lot nicer than mine -- both the black and the white of the background are really clean.

I've generally stuck with 7.0 as my target grade for PHMs and I think a crease like the one on my copy can be acceptable for the grade.  It just depends how nice the rest of the book is.

9 hours ago, Rommbu said:

Thanks. You also have a nice 8.5 there yourself. I am collecting both cent and pence pre hero Marvel/Atlas comics from 1959 and forth. 
I am only missing Tales to astonish 28 pence and Journey into mystery 74 pence . Not rarer than the other pence variants, I just haven´t found them yet. So if anyone out there have a spare copy, please let me know. 

JIM 58 UK 6.0 CROW.JPG

Maybe we should let the Pence King know about your search  @Get Marwood & I

17 hours ago, bc said:

Nice Pence edition, colours are excellent! (I think I'm supposed to put the "u" in there when talking about Pence editions).

Lets make this a double X-rated night:

TTA_20.thumb.jpg.3bd95e576999985d06ada508d8c1300b.jpg

-bc

That's a nice copy bc - do my eyes deceive me or is their some absent colouring there affecting the background? 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a nice copy bc - do my eyes deceive me or is their some absent colouring there affecting the background? 

Think that is an optical delusion caused by my craptastic scanner.

1 hour ago, bc said:

Maybe we should let the Pence King know about your search  @Get Marwood & I

:headbang:

10 hours ago, Rommbu said:

JIM 58 UK 6.0 CROW.JPG

That's a nice 9d JIM #58 Rommbu! :)

These pre-hero pence Marvels are getting really hard to find now, especially in high grade. TTA #28 and JIM #74 aren't especially rare as you say, but they're all rare now so they kind of are if that makes sense. 

Good luck in the hunt - I've had a check in the usual online places without success -  eBay UK is your best bet 

1 minute ago, bc said:

Think that is an optical delusion caused by my craptastic scanner.

Look again - there's a distinct lack of black in places:

1.PNG.0ef64bac9a52d298ab7e916bd358a91d.PNG  2.PNG.25aff1371a129b8484dd1b6abe2ea81a.PNG

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

:headbang:

That's a nice 9d JIM #58 Rommbu! :)

These pre-hero pence Marvels are getting really hard to find now, especially in high grade. TTA #28 and JIM #74 aren't especially rare as you say, but they're all rare now so they kind of are if that makes sense. 

Good luck in the hunt - I've had a check in the usual online places without success -  eBay UK is your best bet 

Yeah, I know all the pence variants are hard to find, especially the early Atlas/Marvels. I am fully aware that it may cause me some trouble obtaining these two issues. I actually had the chance of buying JIM 74 once. It was for sale a long time. But I wasn´t aware of its scarcity so I chose a cent instead. Damn. Well I guess every collector has his regrets.

TTA 18 UK 6.5 W.JPG

Edited by Rommbu

2 minutes ago, Rommbu said:

Yeah, I know all the pence variants are hard to find, especially the early Atlas/Marvels. I am fully aware that it may cause me some trouble obtaining these two issues. I actually had the chance of buying JIM 74 once. It was for sale a long time. But I wasn´t aware of its scarcity so I chose a pence instead. Damn. Well I guess every collector has his regrets.

Another nice copy, you're spoiling us Rommbu! Yes, regrets, I've had a few.....