• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, bc said:

Thanks! Didn't know that.

OSPG 22 has a very extensive write-up on the history of the Atlas Implosion & PHM titles as well. This is the one that really got me addicted. I will caution that several of the charts showing what issue is produced by month do have errors. I created my own spreadsheet based on this data and had to correct it over time.

Image result for Overstreet Price Guide 22

Hey @KirbyJack - is there much difference between these two write-ups?

-bc

Currently vacationing in Wrigleyville ( 2 Cub games, 2 wins!), but that’s exactly the kind of project I want for Sunday! 

I’ll let you know.

1 hour ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I thought I would mention that this edition of Overstreet Price Guide (#10) has a significant section in it of the history of Atlas Comics and its implosion (featuring all the pre-hero titles). It was very interesting reading. I had this guide once, years ago, and lost it. It took me forever to find which one exactly had this story (they don't exactly advertise the write-ups in them). This guide should be readily available on eBay.

Overstreet-10.jpg

If you’d like a really comprehensive write up and the implosion, I’d highly recommend Dr. Michael Vassalo’s blog. His work and background are legendary. He interviewed nearly every Timely and Atlas artist and writer I can think of.

1 hour ago, gunsmokin said:

If you’d like a really comprehensive write up and the implosion, I’d highly recommend Dr. Michael Vassalo’s blog. His work and background are legendary. He interviewed nearly every Timely and Atlas artist and writer I can think of.

(thumbsu

Can you supply a link ?

3 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger too!

Found a used copy on feeBay for about $14 with free shipping

Edited by bc
update price

16 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I read in a Facebook group that this book seemed to be stories of disgruntled artists/writers at Marvel taking pot-shots at Stan Lee and others. Kind of like a "here's the seamy underside Marvel doesn't want to you know" kind of thing. I hope it's not the case.

Not sure if others saw this in the GA forum, but in the new OSPG they have TTA1 as more valuable than ST1. Yes, I know that Overstreet is not really reflective of the current market.

Guess it's yet another reason to slab my copy.

Obviously no love for TOS1 :(

This seems pretty crazy to me, but at least we got a PHM in the top 3 :headbang:

IMG_E0071.JPG

5 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Shoulda waited! There's one for $8.98 there now. B|

Thanks, but it's all good. I'll just have one less beer tonight and call it even :)

2 hours ago, bc said:

Not sure if others saw this in the GA forum, but in the new OSPG they have TTA1 as more valuable than ST1. Yes, I know that Overstreet is not really reflective of the current market.

Guess it's yet another reason to slab my copy.

Obviously no love for TOS1 :(

This seems pretty crazy to me, but at least we got a PHM in the top 3 :headbang:

IMG_E0071.JPG

Sorry, there is no way that TTA #1 should be ranked higher than ST #1 in horror comics. That is just ludicrous. And TOS #1 failing to make either the horror or the Sci-Fi lists is just about as bad a call. Terrible.

:gossip: Three of the top 4 are actually PHM: JIM #1, TTA #1, ST #1.

EDIT: Noticed a typo in the rankings for 2019. Looks like the values placed the books in the "correct" order, but TTA #1 is #4 and ST #1 (below TTA) is ranked #3. Weird.

Edited by mysterio

10 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Here are the other contents of the box. Very excited to add all these to the collection, but I will be washing some dishes, collecting aluminum cans, and considering the Seinfeld trip up to Michigan with a box truck full of bottles to return... Many thanks to the boardie who was kind enough to sell these to me, I will let him out himself if he would like!! (Sorry if the image is rotated, damn iPhones...)

IMG_2582a.jpg

:applause:

24 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Sorry, there is no way that TTA #1 should be ranked higher than ST #1 in horror comics. That is just ludicrous. And TOS #1 failing to make either the horror or the Sci-Fi lists is just about as bad a call. Terrible.

:gossip: Three of the top 4 are actually PHM: JIM #1, TTA #1, ST #1.

EDIT: Noticed a typo in the rankings for 2019. Looks like the values placed the books in the "correct" order, but TTA #1 is #4 and ST #1 (below TTA) is ranked #3. Weird.

Good eye on the typo!

IMHO JIM1 & ST1 are PCH until Lee,Kirby & Ditko came along - but why quibble over minutiae :)

22 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Here are the other contents of the box. Very excited to add all these to the collection, but I will be washing some dishes, collecting aluminum cans, and considering the Seinfeld trip up to Michigan with a box truck full of bottles to return... Many thanks to the boardie who was kind enough to sell these to me, I will let him out himself if he would like!! (Sorry if the image is rotated, damn iPhones...)

IMG_2582a.jpg

Yowza ! Bringing out the big guns this summer  :headbang:

Very high quality additions m ! Page quality is off the hook. Can you please post the TOS 33 so I can drool on my keyboard (that one has eluded me so far).

Congrats again on an awesome score!

PS - Plasma Alliance kept me in beer money thru college.