• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,997 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Pontoon said:

You picked up a World of Fantasy #9; you were missing that one IIRC.

World of Suspense #1 always reminds me of a Mad Magazine drawing. There's something about the spirit on the tablecloth.

I need World of Fantasy #7 for the set now. That’s a hard comic to find a nice VG or better copy.  

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

He’s been ret-conned into the Marvel Universe more than any of the other creatures barring Groot

Not saying you’re wrong, but maybe Xemnu The Titan? A lot of Defenders/Hulk appearances.

15 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Not saying you’re wrong, but maybe Xemnu The Titan? A lot of Defenders/Hulk appearances.

FFF has been in a lot more modern series & cartoons than I thought according to wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fin_Fang_Foom

Fin Fang Four ??? 

Guess he appeared in some form as an Easter Egg in the first Iron Man movie as well...have to look for that the next time its on.

50 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I understand , but I think any mainstream appearances are a good thing to be honest.   👍🏻 

+1

After thinking about this as I mowed the lawn for the last hour, gonna change my opinion to it is funny and you are 100% correct that any mainstream exposure this genre can get the better. Until I saw the wikipedia page, never could have imagined the amount of modern appearances FFF has made alone and as kj pointed out, that's not including Xemnu and the other cast of PHM characters.

There's an annual convention this weekend near me - other than looking for World of Fantasy issues for the guys, might have to check these out.

6 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Just noticed something relevant to our interests; Strange Tales 89 is Officially listed in the Overstreet Top 50 silver age comics list. I think this is the first PHM to make the list without a super-hero appearance (i.e. TTA 13).

Validation, Brothers!

Right on!Now if only I didn't have one of the worst tape pulls of all time on my copy!

(repost for those fortunate enough to have never seen it lol )@fin.jpg.18c20dc595e3394bf9fff298d3672f84.jpg

Edited by porcupine48
I forgot an e

9 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Right on!Now if only I didn't have one of the worst tape pulls of all time on my copy!

(repost for those fortunate enough to have never seen it lol )@fin.jpg.18c20dc595e3394bf9fff298d3672f84.jpg

are you experimenting again in some dark place with unproven tape removal techniques again.

I picked it up as a reader,place holder a long time ago-never upgraded and the prices shot up.

Maybe this will take your minds off the horror?Funny about this copy,it comes from Milpitas,the monster!

tta1Front.jpg.cd9b1725d523a391f0edfcf2d524b9e3.jpg

(I do have some pretty books,just some issues came my way at different monied times)

18 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I picked it up as a reader,place holder a long time ago-never upgraded and the prices shot up.

Maybe this will take your minds off the horror?Funny about this copy,it comes from Milpitas,the monster!

tta1Front.jpg.cd9b1725d523a391f0edfcf2d524b9e3.jpg

(I do have some pretty books,just some issues came my way at different monied times)

So I was scrolling down this post and was thinking, "wow, that's a pretty sharp copy" ...  until I passed the red word circle.

Thanks for giving something to watch tonight!

2 minutes ago, bc said:

So I was scrolling down this post and was thinking, "wow, that's a pretty sharp copy" ...  until I passed the red word circle.

Thanks for giving something to watch tonight!

That was my father and I's favourite Z film after I found it in some small shop in the eighties.Even made it to my custom,when I was talking to the DrX after saying he should watch it lollol 

The TTA,to me,looks like it was a nicer copy and was victim to a flood.The rest of the book is glossy and supple-besides where it sat in some sort of wet for however long.Price was right.

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I feel the need to post a pic of a not totally trashed comic.106348.thumb.jpg.f747cb6fa2b32184f4ae026e22749095.jpg102664.thumb.jpg.ccf19045f8ddccbb309924ac35dade63.jpg

ah,a bit better.Reposts,as they are in my existing attachments,but better lol One of my very few still slabbed comics.

You are redeemed brother!

And that movie was hilarious! "That's either a 50 foot tall monster or my ex wife Ninnie:roflmao:

2 minutes ago, bc said:

You are redeemed brother!

And that movie was hilarious! "That's either a 50 foot tall monster or my ex wife Ninnie:roflmao:

Very glad you liked it!

You know,before joining up here,I wasn't too net savvy,and locally,PHM or anything pre SA was pretty scarce.TTA and ST #1 were my long time grails,and it'd been about a decade since I'd really collected comics-girls,drink and other troubles came around fourteen,fifteen.I was determined to get those two books-they were mythical to me,I NEVER as a teen thought I'd get them.(I barely had ANY pre code Marvel monster books).I must say,I was delighted to get copies,but I'm STILL a little disappointed in the cover to Strange Tales #1,the TTA has grown on me.I'm also really grateful that I got them,and mostly finished the runs of the tales and JIM by 2010.So many of those books have went crazy price wise,especially the Journey,ST and Menace...