• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's quite an expensive UK price there!

58p.PNG.537a28f0e494c49863b7aa52942f4498.PNG

Aha!  I was wondering if anyone would notice.  In my high-grade Silver Age collecting, I generally avoid any date stamps, price stamps, or writing -- but I enjoy relaxing my OCD tendencies on my pre-hero collection.  The "5 8 P" blends in so well on this cover that I only noticed it when I had the book in hand, and it didn't bother me.  I was wondering if it might be a pence stamp -- but the only way that makes sense to me is if someone stamped the 5 incorrectly, thought better of it, and then did the 8 and P.  Is that what you think happened?

At any rate, it sure looks like three separate and distinct impressions of the stamp.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Just now, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Aha!  I was wondering if anyone would notice.  In my high-grade Silver Age collecting, I generally avoid any date stamps, price stamps, or writing -- but I enjoy relaxing my OCD tendencies on my pre-hero collection.  The "5 8 P" blends in so well on this cover that I only noticed it when I had the book in hand, and it didn't bother me.  I was wondering if it might be a pence stamp -- but the only way that makes sense to me is if someone stamped the 5 incorrectly, thought better of it, and then did the 8 and P.  Is that what you think happened?

I don't think so, no. We had a pence priced version of that over here and if it was an imported stamped US copy I'd expect it to be a Thorpe & Porter one and at 9d. No, I think that's a mystery set of numbers. Maybe the clue to all life and the universe? Lovely book either way, and you're right, the numbers do kind of fit in with the decor don't they! 

Afternoon :)

I got up this morning and thought "I don't half fancy a Shagg". Like you do. Anyway, a quick scout around the usual haunts and all the Shaggs on offer were 10c. Bit much.

Then I lucked out with this 9d Shagg:

59.thumb.jpg.63757bd9fadbc9824f61041e8c09c5d9.jpg

I tell you, it's the best Shagg I've had in ages!

I do like a good Shagg. 

See you next time :)

1 minute ago, KirbyJack said:

Good afternoon to you.

While I'm glad you enjoyed your Shagg, I can't agree it was the best. A bit too violent, and FAR too many people involved.

You had to be there KJ!  These two didn't even have time to put their pants on!

Capture.PNG.6d91c4e1076f2ee5b574b22c43dc1f3e.PNG

28 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I was wondering why so many people were in that small upper room. I feel sorriest for the lone female.

There's two actually. And one transvestite.

We've got Marion here in the corner: Capture2.PNG.6529110efb822e1144716f2971dd1acd.PNG

And this is Dave the transvestite: Capture1.PNG.e0679d9f6f87b653d9f23b9c354d9cfa.PNG Always looked good in a dress did Dave.

And then of course there's Shagg herself: Capture3.PNG.f3fd4da675014f13dc3862b096b506c3.PNG I always thought long hair suited her better but she did like a mop top. 

10 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

"HIS attack." Getting mistaken for a dude all the time is what set her off in the first place.

Exactly. So she doesn't take care of herself and paint her nails. Humans can be so cruel.