• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I've been good, but did buy a bit outside my usual focus last night. But if a black cover by Everett from 1957 in 6.0 isn't worth $121 then I don't know what is.

AdvMystery07CGCs.jpg

Sweet book. I ran a check using Go Collect. This book is surely under appreciated by collectors, at the moment, given the year, cool cover,and that only 11 are currently graded by CGC. (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Sweet book. I ran a check using Go Collect. This book is surely under appreciated by collectors, at the moment, given the year, cool cover,and that only 11 are currently graded by CGC. (thumbsu

I've always liked the group of "Adventure" titles that Atlas had, but haven't taken the opportunity/budget to pursue any. Of course the pre-code Adventure into Terror are going to get a lot of the attention, but even the post-code have a lot of interesting and moody covers like this one. And if I can find them in mid-grade for what seems to me to be a good deal (try to find a 6.0 JIM or ST from 1957 for $120) they'll be tough to pass up.

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

I've been good, but did buy a bit outside my usual focus last night. But if a black cover by Everett from 1957 in 6.0 isn't worth $121 then I don't know what is.

AdvMystery07CGCs.jpg

That's a darn nice looking 6.0

Congrats! :applause:

4 hours ago, mysterio said:

AdvMystery07CGCs.jpg

I was your underbidder and almost pushed it up another $10 but I thought I had been spending too much lately

8 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

I was your underbidder and almost pushed it up another $10 but I thought I had been spending too much lately

(worship)  I know how that goes. That was basically my 2019.

On 4/7/2020 at 3:31 PM, mysterio said:

AdvMystery07CGCs.jpg

Well worth the money m!

Presents great for a 6 !

-bc

23 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

I picked up this copy of Strange Tales #68 back in 2016. However I had a mishap putting the book in a mylar sleeve.  The book picked up a 1.5 inch tear on the right edge of the front cover, but at least its hard to see.  I have since sworn off the use of mylar. :frown:  I still like the book, I just don't open it any more. A check on Ebay shows a 5.0 and 5.5 CGC copies where the same seller is asking $400. There is also a 6.5 and 7.0 copy currently for sale.  I may put the book in the PGM thread to see what the consensus grade is now that the cover has a tear.

scan0181.jpg

Thats a tough book in any grade. Your's presents great with vibrant colors.

-bc

14 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Opinions vary. Not in my personal definition, but I don’t mind seeing them here!

Picked this book up about 4 years ago. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I really like this cover. Perhaps it's the look of pure terror on the mans face contrasted to the crowds indifference, or it could be his hat popping off while he slides into a hole that only exists for him. :insane:  The cover was drawn by Carl Burgos.

scan0156.jpg

12 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Do the titles World of Mystery and World of Fantasy qualify as Pre-Hero books?

Not to disagree with my esteemed colleague kj, I think World of Fantasy has a key PHM book - #18. From what I can find, it's the first issue with a bolded mono-syllabic named monster on the cover, has new Kirby & Ditko artwork (earlier issues had artwork that was likely created before the Implosion) and the typical fleeing humanoids. Now if we had some Kirby monster pants on Xom, it would be truly official :)

-bc

wof_18.jpg

Edited by bc

2 hours ago, bc said:

Not to disagree with my esteemed colleague kj, I think World of Fantasy has a key PHM book - #18. From what I can find, it's the first issue with a bolded mono-syllabic named monster on the cover, has new Kirby & Ditko artwork (earlier issues had artwork that was likely created before the Implosion) and the typical fleeing humanoids. Now if we had some Kirby monster pants on Xom, it would be truly official :)

-bc

wof_18.jpg

Embarrassing! BC (being correct) is right. I 100% include World of Fantasy as a true Pre hero Marvel. 
To me, Atlas ends at the implosion, and what emerges from the flames is Marvel.

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Embarrassing! BC (being correct) is right. I 100% include World of Fantasy as a true Pre hero Marvel. 
To me, Atlas ends at the implosion, and what emerges from the flames is Marvel.

I’ve always looked at this thread a couple of ways. 

If I’m being strict, pre-hero Marvel would refer to only five titles (JIM, ST, TOS, TTA, AA/AAF) that literally led to heroes. Not saying I support that definition, but it could be taken to mean that. 

A broader definition would include all those post-implosion books that feature sci-fi or monsters, even if the title didn’t eventually continue with a super hero. 

An even broader definition can include books that may not technically fall under either category above (either being Atlas books and/or never including heroes), but our pre-hero brethren would think was cool. They fit in spirit if not in letter of the law. See my post on my last purchase. :shy: