• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I've always liked the multiple panel/story teaser covers. Plenty of great ones in these books. I know that ST and JIM did a three book run with multiple vignettes, and they're all generally tough. Here are the JIMs. I've got a #31 with a detached cover but grabbed this scan, and this is my former #32 (can't find the scan of my current 5.5) and 33.

JIM31CGC.jpg

JIM32CGC.jpg

JIM33.JPG

Those books are some great examples of the panel covers!! From the man who had no fear, Elevator in the Sky, and There'll be some changes made, great cover teasers. (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, bc said:

Great detective work m !

-bc

Thanks, but I can't claim too much credit. I keep a folder of cover scans to randomly cycle as my screen saver. I'm approaching 12,000 different, and the books that got me started were pre-hero (probably no surprise there). Just had to check my Timely/Atlas folder to see which covers fit the bill.

33 minutes ago, The Commissioner said:

While we are all on the topic of learning new things, can someone explain the atlas-implosion?  Asking for a friend :shy:

Can't add much to the fine explanation provided by @bc, but will just chime in that you can see evidence of this implosion in the length of time that passed between JIM #48 and #49. Same with Strange Tales. It is why many of these other cool titles (Mystic, Mystery Tales, etc.) disappeared.

JIM48CGClabel.jpg

JIM49CGClabel.jpg

Edited by mysterio
Not my books, snagged the scans for aforementioned folder.

Come to think of it, this may also explain why JIM #49 is a very difficult book to find. Distribution was likely pretty awful after many of these titles started back up.

I'd also be curious to know why titles like JIM and ST were continued a year+ later and others that were very similar were not.

1 minute ago, mysterio said:

Come to think of it, this may also explain why JIM #49 is a very difficult book to find. Distribution was likely pretty awful after many of these titles started back up.

I'd also be curious to know why titles like JIM and ST were continued a year+ later and others that were very similar were not.

2c

Likely due to $$$ - those titles were very popular and well-established before the implosion and Stan & Co. likely sought to leverage the brand-name recognition to sell books during this tough period. Since they could only publish a handful of titles a month, it was probably easier to resurrect the "main" sellers instead of trying to cultivate a new unknown title.

Again, just my hypothesis,

-bc

JIM 49 looks much closer to a post-code book than a PHM (again, likely compiled from the closet of work that Goodman found). This kind of content could have easily come from leftover Astonishing or Mystery Tales stories.

jim_49_cropped.jpg.298d929f3876c0198e41a6d263ba0c59.jpg

-bc

Edited by bc

13 minutes ago, bc said:

2c

Likely due to $$$ - those titles were very popular and well-established before the implosion and Stan & Co. likely sought to leverage the brand-name recognition to sell books during this tough period. Since they could only publish a handful of titles a month, it was probably easier to resurrect the "main" sellers instead of trying to cultivate a new unknown title.

Again, just my hypothesis,

-bc

I don't disagree, but Mystic had 61 issues by then and Mystery Tales had 54, for example. Both were ended in 8/57, same month as the hiatus started for JIM. Those two had a longer track record than JIM or ST at that point in time. So it may be due to sales numbers, sure, but I wonder how good a handle they had on those back in the day.

12 minutes ago, bc said:

JIM 49 looks much closer to a post-code book than a PHM (again, likely compiled from the closet of work that Goodman found). This kind of content could have easily come from leftover Astonishing or Mystery Tales stories.

-bc

I completely agree. JIM #49 does not look like a pre-implosion book at all, and would fit in much better with a title like Mystery Tales than what had been (and would be) published in JIM. I've always thought that that cover looked out of place in this title.

Just now, mysterio said:

I don't disagree, but Mystic had 61 issues by then and Mystery Tales had 54, for example. Both were ended in 8/57, same month as the hiatus started for JIM. Those two had a longer track record than JIM or ST at that point in time. So it may be due to sales numbers, sure, but I wonder how good a handle they had on those back in the day.

Good points for sure. Never found a good explanation for recycling ST & JIM in my research.

6 minutes ago, mysterio said:

These types of discussions are a good reason for you to visit the thread more often. :baiting:

Oh, I followed along with the thread digests in my email box during my hiatus.

But point well received (thumbsu

-bc