• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bc said:

Don't see anymore covers with "Planet X", but here's a few monsters that are just referred to by "X" (Stan must have been slacking)...

aa_4_cropped.jpg.7dc080eb99ea5e569845ff60edb557e1.jpg

-bc

Good lord that is a pretty AA #4. If that is your 8.0 you got a beauty for the grade.

20 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Good lord that is a pretty AA #4. If that is your 8.0 you got a beauty for the grade.

Thanks! Yep, that's the 8.0

It's also another example of my PHM books with a numeric code on the interior cover behind the the CCA stamp (this one is "220" - of what I'm not sure). No idea of the history/provenance - but I got 6 or 7 of them now that are 8.0+ grades.

The AA3 is number 307 -you can see it pretty well from the pic...

aa_3_cropped.jpg.a8b3ef69f760f66a38694bdcff15995d.jpg

Edited by bc

On 5/13/2020 at 1:31 PM, mysterio said:
On 5/13/2020 at 2:12 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

What's the deal with the all-black circle on yours?

Nice copy!

That month Marvel was changing over from 10c covers to 12c. There were three books that had already started printing when they made the switch, so they did this overprint circle to cover up the old price and then printed the new price (you can see it in the M in the title). It is a really fun and challenging subset to collect.

Overprint variants.jpg

Nice set :)

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/452776-marvel-january-1962-black-circle-variants/