• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,999 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Begging the question; is Strange Tales 89 the mightiest PHM key of them all?

My money would be on it, but others might pick TTA #13 and value-wise I’d say they had a good case. 

43 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I remember thinking I had really arrived when I scored my Tales of Suspense #1, but it’s hard to argue with Astonish 13.

The question brings back the old argument of significance vs. value. TTA #13 is clearly the more valuable book at the moment, grade for grade, but I've always preferred ST #89 as the book with the most gravitas (or whatever word would be appropriate). 

19 minutes ago, mysterio said:

The question brings back the old argument of significance vs. value. TTA #13 is clearly the more valuable book at the moment, grade for grade, but I've always preferred ST #89 as the book with the most gravitas (or whatever word would be appropriate). 

Though he's not the only monster that Marvel carried forward into its superhero continuity, for whatever reason Fin Fang Foom is the one they set up as the coolest and the greatest of them all.  And he certainly is cool.

But is he really that different from "Grogg," who appeared for a second time just two issues earlier in Strange Tales #87?

4 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Though he's not the only monster that Marvel carried forward into its superhero continuity, for whatever reason Fin Fang Foom is the one they set up as the coolest and the greatest of them all.  And he certainly is cool.

But is he really that different from "Grogg," who appeared for a second time just two issues earlier in Strange Tales #87?

FFF has a much better name.

Edited by mysterio
Clarity

18 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I just landed the big kahuna!

1477800562_StrangeTales89CGC7.0.thumb.jpg.9a748dd0979f2287dff9194bf064fd68.jpg

Congrats sir - very very nice copy! :headbang:

As far as the "mightiest" of the PHM books - I'd just have to say that FFF is the epitome of the genre. Just a month later, Fantastic Four 1 arrives and starts a whole new era for Stan & Co.

From a value perspective, think TTA27 leads the pack, followed by Groot & FFF. 

And I'm with you kj, holding TTA1 in my hand the first time was certainly a highlight of my collecting days.

-bc

On 5/20/2020 at 9:01 AM, bc said:

Congrats sir - very very nice copy! :headbang:

As far as the "mightiest" of the PHM books - I'd just have to say that FFF is the epitome of the genre. Just a month later, Fantastic Four 1 arrives and starts a whole new era for Stan & Co.

From a value perspective, think TTA27 leads the pack, followed by Groot & FFF. 

And I'm with you kj, holding TTA1 in my hand the first time was certainly a highlight of my collecting days.

-bc

While I know that TTA #27 is technically a pre-hero book, I rarely think of it in those terms.

11 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I have a really nice looking certified 5.5 but when I wasn't having much luck finding books in Kansas City, I spied this lil guy for a reasonable price and BOOM, a nice reader!

Where were you looking in KC?

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I’ve put some good work in at KC comic shows.

It was a smaller show than we were expecting, having driven down from the Twin Cities. Dale Roberts was there, so there WERE comics available, but I had seen him fairly recently prior to that show and he didn't have much in the way of newer stock. I still spent some loot, found some comics, found a few pulps, had a good time. Even a slow day walking around a comic show is better than MOST days NOT at a comic show! :banana: