• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, The Commissioner said:

Anyone have any group shots of their PHM issues? I'd love to see some posts of those in here!

THIS IS MANOO? Is he looking for his cousin Taboo, or his nephew Bombu?? We need answers now.

manoo.jpg

Edited by DR.X

2 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

This issue was the first TTA I ever bought off the stand as a kid while vacationing at a NJ beach

1383936836_TTA11.thumb.jpg.f9b8c412c1abdf9e5c4ada918e2f0f9a.jpg

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Gorgeous book sir! And great back story as well!

-bc

I was seriously thinking of springing to get a lower grade copy (3.0-4.5) of either Tales Of Suspense #1 or Tales To Astonish #1. I love the PHMs and these are certainly keys, IMHO. Does anyone see either of these two continuing to rise in value significantly in the future?

1 minute ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I was seriously thinking of springing to get a lower grade copy (3.0-4.5) of either Tales Of Suspense #1 or Tales To Astonish #1. I love the PHMs and these are certainly keys, IMHO. Does anyone see either of these two continuing to rise in value significantly in the future?

It's tough to say how much they'll rise in value or at what rate of speed that'll happen, but to me, they DO seem to be pretty ..... "under priced." There really DOES seem to be a LOT of room for growth for both of them! Compared to other Silver Marvel key books, they seem like give-aways. 

1 hour ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Not sure about significantly increasing in value. That would require a greater demand. Both have a had slow but steady increase in value over time.

Let's take a look at each by some numbers:

• TOS#1 has a total of 186 Universal graded copies currently in the Census
  • TTA#1 has a total of 144 Universal graded copies currently in the Census (22% less than TOS#1)

For your specific grade ranges (3.0-4.5):

• TOS#1 has a total of 79 Universal graded copies currently in the Census (about 42% of the total of 186)
  • TTA#1 has a total of 72 Universal graded copies currently in the Census (50% of the total of 144) (about 9% less than the total for TOS#1)

From some GPA data:

• TOS#1 is going for around $661 / $720 / $1500 / $1009 in 3.0 / 3.5 / 4.0 / 4.5 (a total of 58 transactions recorded since 2002)
  • TTA#1 is going for around $850 / $1100 / $921 / $1200 in 3.0 / 3.5 / 4.0 / 4.5 (a total of 47 transactions recorded since 2003, about 19% less than the TOS#1)

From a cover appeal perspective you have Kirby vs Heck 

tta_1_cropped.jpg.f02f10f1996d68d6e49a59aab2121245.jpgtos_1_cropped.jpg.5de86254eaeb3f10144b798d43d10ab4.jpg

Both issues debuted in January 1959.

So TTA#1 is a little less frequently slabbed & sold and tougher to find in higher grades. They both hover within the same respective price range at your grade levels - each has an outlier or two. The Kirby cover on TTA#1 might be enough to make that the clear decision for some if it came down to one OR the other.

As mentioned earlier, without a pickup in demand, these won't be competing in value with their superhero peers. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but realistically there is currently an adequate supply and demand ratio to cause a gradual increase in value. If demand would increase even a bit :wishluck:, these books would prove to potentially be in league with their superhero peers due to the lower supply. Gonna guess that many of these books are locked away in "black hole" collections (mine are) which implies that any significant value increase will likely only draw out a small fraction of the potential books to market. 

My vote would be to pick up the nicest looking TTA#1 you can get for your allotted amount if you have to pick just one. Grab the TOS#1 down the road, there's more of them available & brought to market. Then pray like the rest of us PHM junkies (I think we are called "hodlers" in stock market slang) for the demand to explode :)

-bc

Edited by bc

Sage advice from our own resident keeper of the flame! Doubtful you'll find anyone much more plugged into this area of the hobby than him. I like BOTH covers, as they are very different from each other and I like both artists take on the content! I still need both of them, so I'm also keeping an eye out for the right copies! Good luck with your search!!!  (thumbsu

Just now, Frisco Larson said:

Sage advice from our own resident keeper of the flame! Doubtful you'll find anyone much more plugged into this area of the hobby than him. I like BOTH covers, as they are very different from each other and I like both artists take on the content! I still need both of them, so I'm also keeping an eye out for the right copies! Good luck with your search!!!  (thumbsu

I'm actually quite surprised that you don't have either of them given the breadth of your collection. I'll keep my eyes open for you both. MCS has a pretty clean TTA#1 in CGC 4.0 (CR-OW) for $1,325 or best offer up. They also have the other guys #1 at 3.0 in an auction currently at $466 with a few days to go:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=6891371#50885621

-bc