• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Mixed success bidding on auctions this week.  A couple of the PHM books I bid on went for much higher than I was expecting, but I did manage to score one today.

577159275_TalesofSuspense14CGC7.0.thumb.jpg.8119d539d2922cdeaf1bd3cb9cc23a75.jpg

Every copy of this book that I've seen available has had at least some degree of tanning along the edges ... the photo of this one isn't great so I'm hoping it's not too bad in hand.

Good looking book! The first copy of this book I owned had similar tanning, and I paid a very pretty penny to upgrade .5 in grade without the common tanning.

TOS14CGC75.jpg

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Great eye appeal for a 2.5, and the price per point is right about what I paid on my 3.5. I'd say you got a very solid deal on the book. Other than the #1 this is likely the most expensive pre-hero in the run.

I bought a digital reprint of it yesterday so I can read it.  I used to crack open CGC comics for precisely that reason but now that I’m a member and know how much it costs to get books slabbed, I don’t do that anymore.  The Russ Heath story at the beginning is so well drawn.

8927AE25-0966-4073-A823-706F78B02BC8.png

99750580-1BD9-4A41-AF1D-AE1324E89E56.png

6BFCCB77-B3BB-45B7-A3B4-7F404F35EBB4.png

On 12/6/2020 at 8:50 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Mixed success bidding on auctions this week.  A couple of the PHM books I bid on went for much higher than I was expecting, but I did manage to score one today.

577159275_TalesofSuspense14CGC7.0.thumb.jpg.8119d539d2922cdeaf1bd3cb9cc23a75.jpg

Every copy of this book that I've seen available has had at least some degree of tanning along the edges ... the photo of this one isn't great so I'm hoping it's not too bad in hand.

That’s a nice looking copy Sweet Lou. Here’s mine that I bought raw on eBay about 10 years ago.

image.jpg

2 hours ago, The Commissioner said:

I was looking at previous posts and saw that @Jasonmorris1000000 just bought a copy of JIM #6, and I know that @mysterio has a copy as well. Maybe we should turn this into the JIM #6 club!

When I got mine last week, I posted in on the Golden Age PCH thread.  I’m very happy with it.

Wow - get put on injured reserve for a month and come back to new board software and a bunch of catching up to do....

@jayhawker, @Sweet Lou 14, @Jasonmorris1000000 Great books all! :cloud9:

Thanks to @The Commissioner for remembering the December theme (thumbsu

@mysterio Love the update on your progress on the JIM run:headbang: Got to admit every time I see one hit the auction block, I secretly wonder if you're in the running.

Anybody happen to see the last CommicConnect auction? A Tales of Suspense 2 in CGC 8.0 ( a real sweet copy) hammered at $6,500 ! According to my poorly maintained records, think it's the highest price paid for a non-key PHM (let alone an 8.0). Even the Shasta Lake uber-grade books didn't go this high. My congrats to the new steward! Made me wonder if @KirbyJack hit the lottery:)

Merry Christmas All!

-bc