• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,999 posts in this topic

So what's a good resource to learn about creators, artists, key books, titles etc...? I'm aware of the basic titles that exist but there is obviously so much more. Need to take this all in before I plunge.

3 hours ago, bc said:

FTFY.

Strange Worlds 1 was cover dated 12/58 :)

That issue also saw the beginning of the "T" job codes as well as a shift to various sub-publishers like Manvis, Zenith and Vista.

-bc

I didn’t know about the codes ( very cool! ), but Strange Worlds 1 was released at the same time as Astonish 1 and Suspense 1, cover date notwithstanding. I used the 1/59 date because it’s a natural demarcation. 

Edited by KirbyJack

40 minutes ago, bc said:

I could write a wall of text to answer this (as these guys have witnessed)...

OSPG #22 has a nice write-up on the the titles before and after the Atlas Implosion and the rise of the Pre-Hero marvel era

Picture 1 of 1

Gary Carter & Pat Calhoun put together a section called "Journey into the Unknown World of Atlas Fantasy". It's about 15 pages of history, pics, charts, graphs and timelines. I read mine so much that all the pages fell out and I had to buy another copy. 

This deep-dive really fueled my initial passion for this genre and I still consult it often.

Either that or go back and read the last 100 pages or so of this thread :)

Feel free to fire off any questions you may have - we're a fairly friendly group!

-bc

Thanks! I'll start with an easy one. Aside from the main titles like Tales to Astonish, TOS, JIM, Strange Tales etc..., what's a good affordable/undervalued title? Do I need to consider a second mortgage to look at the more mainstream titles? I do have some smaller runs of them but all Silver.

2 minutes ago, bc said:

The list of PHM titles incudes:

• Amazing Adventures 1-6
  • Amazing Adult Fantasy (formerly Amazing Adventures) 7-14
  • Journey into Mystery 50-83
  • Strange Tales 67-100 PLUS Annual 1
  • Strange Worlds 1-5
  • Tales of Suspense 1-38
  • Tales to Astonish 1-34
  • World of Fantasy 15-19

Depending on what grade you are seeking, most of these are pretty affordable. With some of these books, "high" grade can be considered Fine or higher. They are typically found in the "well-loved" condition.

The "keys" (other than first issues) are:

• Strange Tales 89 - Fin Fang Foom
  • Strange Tales 97 - prototype for Aunt May & Uncle Ben
  • Tales to Astonish 13 - Groot
  • Tales to Astonish 27 - Ant-Man (no costume)

Hope this helps!

-bc

Wow, a pretty finite list. Thank you for this.

7 minutes ago, universal soldier said:

Wow, a pretty finite list. Thank you for this.

That's part of what dragged me in....I thought "it's only 160+ books, how hard can they be to get?"

10 years after that thought, I finally had a complete set.

Happy hunting!

-bc

Edited by bc