• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, universal soldier said:

Thanks! I'll start with an easy one. Aside from the main titles like Tales to Astonish, TOS, JIM, Strange Tales etc..., what's a good affordable/undervalued title? Do I need to consider a second mortgage to look at the more mainstream titles? I do have some smaller runs of them but all Silver.

I would say World of Fantasy, Strange Worlds, Amazing Adventures, Amazing Adult Fantasy, and World of Mystery are fun to collect because there aren’t a whole lot of issues to buy in order to complete a run.  I like Marvel Tales but there’s no way a normal person can get a run because the numbering starts with   Marvel Comics #1.  The Amazing Adult Fantasy’s are a little more because that title gave birth to Spidey (maybe?). Or it could be that Ditko covers go for a premium?

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

6 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I forgot to mention these titles to

A3D1E8DE-C39E-42AA-B609-A72E65088A7E.png

D2B7945E-7156-4802-AF4F-F523B8A721D3.png

3E77CFB3-D40C-4C39-B949-1F81D9519410.png

While those are "Pre-Hero", they technically would be considered Pre-Implosion/Post-Code books (and don't get me started on the job codes).

And as @KirbyJackpointed out earlier today, they are still rocking the Atlas globe :)

But they are more than welcome here!

-bc

Just now, bc said:

While those are "Pre-Hero", they technically would be considered Pre-Implosion/Post-Code books (and don't get me started on the job codes).

And as @KirbyJackpointed out earlier today, they are still rocking the Atlas globe :)

But they are more than welcome here!

-bc

True.  A prerequisite for being a Pre- Hero Marvel has to be that it has Lee, Kirby, Ditko, and no horror in it.

10 minutes ago, Mucheee1 said:

This title is also a good one ...

F431E530-E477-495C-A382-2245FF13A1BE.thumb.jpeg.42455c27a1c08b7bf86ef752ae004840.jpeg

This isn't the only cover with floating eyes...just can't remember the other place I've seen them....

By the way - real clean copies!

-bc

2 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

You guys are tempting me to buy a Bill Everett comic on Dale Robert’s website..........   There’s so many great ones to choose from that I don’t have

Didn't someone just get a ST110 ? :whistle:

-bc

2 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I know what you mean.  I’ve been trying to find a similar cover but haven’t had luck yet

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it's similar:

Cover for Astonishing (Marvel, 1951 series) #30

-bc

4 hours ago, bc said:

I've been seriously considering selling my undercopies. There are 178 PHM books and I somehow accumulated about 250 (that's what I get for going to conventions without a list).

I'll have to make a list and post it here first.

-bc

Did someone say make a list of comic books? :whistle:lol

To be serious I did create an excel list of Ace books I was collecting, printed it using a small portion of a page about 4 by 5 inches, folded that and put it in my wallet. I could then scan that and see if I needed the book or not.

SQL_comic_table.jpg

1 hour ago, DR.X said:

for some unknown reason I was looking at this book tonight and felt like tossing it in here " again ".

20210226_180507.jpg

Toss it in here anytime you want!

:cloud9: That was my very first PHM, recommended by Nelson Dodds. He was setup at the Medina County Fairground (they had a monthly flea market). I had been buying early SA books from him with what little cash I had back then, one day he pulled that book out and gave me an intro to "Pre-Hero Marvels" - I just thought it was cool because it was so old.

-bc