• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,999 posts in this topic

A Friday night question for the gang: There is a small, seemingly seldom talked about group of PHM-like stories buried in the back of some of the earliest Marvel Super Hero comics. How does our group here feel about the inclusion of those stories in this thread? Is this the best thread to feature those stories? I personally like looking thru my Strange Tales 101 and seeing the pre-hero back up stories inside! The blending of the old and the new. Thoughts? 

45 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

A Friday night question for the gang: There is a small, seemingly seldom talked about group of PHM-like stories buried in the back of some of the earliest Marvel Super Hero comics. How does our group here feel about the inclusion of those stories in this thread? Is this the best thread to feature those stories? I personally like looking thru my Strange Tales 101 and seeing the pre-hero back up stories inside! The blending of the old and the new. Thoughts? 

Go for it!

3 hours ago, bc said:

While those are "Pre-Hero", they technically would be considered Pre-Implosion/Post-Code books (and don't get me started on the job codes).

And as @KirbyJackpointed out earlier today, they are still rocking the Atlas globe :)

But they are more than welcome here!

-bc

I doubt people would want to post on the “Pre-Implosion/Post-Code Atlas’ That Aren’t Quite Golden Age or Silver Age!” by jasonmorris1000000 though

8 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Those count, I say. Especially issues that feature a vignette or blurb on the cover!

bc, of course, is all over these.

10 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Go for it!

I wrote about them a few years back:

Tales of Suspense 38 officially marks the last of the PHM issues with a cover date of February 1963 icon_sad.png

57286177072af17a2272067375a10f0a.jpg

Only Tales of Suspense 37 (1/63) and 38 (2/63) actually made it into 1963 cover dates; the rest had all converted to a superhero format by then or ceased publication in the case of World of Fantasy.

But it wasn’t the end of the PHM stories! It was just the end of the PHM covers. icon_biggrin.png

The PHM stories continued as 5 page nuggets that were hidden inside the newly introduced superhero cover issues of Journey into Mystery, Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense for another 16 months until June 1964.

This doesn’t include content from Tales of Asgard (JIM 97-125), Tales of the Watcher (TOS 49-58) or Wasp’s Tales (TTA 51-56) as those had ties to the contemporary superheroes (although the first couple of the Tales of the Watcher stories are questionable in my humble opinion).

After paging thru several collections of post-PHM issues that encompassed every issue of the big 4 (JIM, ST, TOS & TTA) as well as the first couple of years of the superhero titles (FF, Avengers, ASM, IH, Sgt. Fury, X-Men, DD, Thor and the like), the PHM Sole Survivor Award goes to:

SKRANG icon_beer.png

7cd76170c7f73b127d2aa11eb24bd027.jpg

Skrang was the last of the original PHM villains in the last original PHM story. Unfortunately, he retreated in fear from the Earth because he saw that elderly lady in the first panel wearing a fox stole while she was out alone on a casual evening stroll. We later find out that on Skrang’s planet, his race was at war with a vicious army of fox people and if this fragile Earth female was sporting one as a trophy around her neck, we were far too superior to even risk an attack.

That story appeared in Tales of Suspense 54 (which also sports the second appearance of the Mandarin - June 1964):

da8db13f279e2b4ff9eb30c97feddae7.jpg

From there, we have to wait for the re-birth of Marvel Horror in the early Bronze Age and the subsequent reprinting/re-telling of the stories from our beloved PHM classics. To me, it sort of starts with the Tales of the Watcher re-appearing in Silver Surfer 1 (8/68) and the one-shot Tales of Asgard (10/68) and definitively reboots with Tower of Shadows and Chamber of Darkness in mid-69.

Here’s a list of the issue’s I’ve compiled that contain original PHM-style stories that continue into the Marvel Silver Age Superhero era:

Amazing Fantasy 15 (not like anyone’s going to buy it in any shape for the PHM content)
Strange Tales 101-113
Journey into Mystery 83-104
Tales of Suspense 39-48, 50-54
Tales to Astonish 35-51, 54

Here’s some of the Rogue’s Gallery from this group:

The Frightful Frog-Man (from Strange Tales 104)
d97df0c4c9e5ecf6cbf5529c615c3c20.jpg

The Star Raiders of Planet Torgo (from Tales to Astonish 37)
a064fec729440542e9418712eba0f606.jpg

Tremble before the Killer Treadmill of Rodrigo Cadiz (from Tales to Astonish 50)
a52f9d870b958f9465080d595c488294.jpg

As you can see, these villains were just as cover worthy as Roc, Glob, Sserpo, Torr and maybe even the mighty Moomba !

I did not have access to any sizable amount of Atlas/Marvel westerns, so feel free to add data if there is any.

The Pre-Hero Marvel sub-genre that really originated with Strange Worlds 1 (12/58) under the combined talent of Lee/Ditko/Kirby/Ayers and others actually blossomed for 6 years until the superheroes were mature and diverse enough to finally carry the entire issues in June 1964.

Thanks for reading and as usual, keep ‘em coming !

-bc

Fantastic work @bc!!!! I had a feeling you'd have lots of insight on the subject, but I refrained from putting you on the spot by directing it straight to you. I'm not sure if anyone knows, but I'm wondering if the reprinting of these stories has been documented anywhere? I don't have the Marvel Masterworks covering the specific issues in question, although I DO have the first Spider-Man volume and it only reprints the Spider-Man story from AF 15, not the Bell Ringer and the other story. Some of these issues were reprinted in single issue form called Marvel Milestone Editions. I have a copy of the TOS 39 and it DOES reprint the entire original issue, so The Last Rocket and GUNDAR are in there. That's great for the big keys, but I'd be pretty sure that any random JIM or ST issue wouldn't have been reprinted. 

I was able to grab a book out of C-link last night, so down the rabbit hole I go, as I wasn't planning on building this run until I either finished a few other runs or exhausted all opportunities to fill holes on my want list. I haven't owned a copy of this since the mid 90's. Hello darkness my old friend .....  :ohnoez:

Amazing Adventures 6 7.5 c-ow.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson

1 minute ago, Frisco Larson said:

Another hero book with thread-friendly content. Some of these early Ant-Man covers hearken back to the books that came before them in the title. In addition, they have a few stories inside that let you know you're still home. ;) 

Tales to Astonish 41 8.5 w front.jpg

I’m a huge fan of this cover.  I wish the King drew the Ant Man story though