• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

When I first started collecting Marvel Monsters, Strange Tales were usually cheaper and easier to find than the other titles.  I think it’s because the Strange Tales numbering is higher, making the average collector think it’s less valuable than a TTA issue. Strange Tales was the first PHM run I completed, how about you all?

I have NONE of the runs complete. I sold off most of the copies I had in the mid to late 90s to pursue Golden Age. It's actually VERY recently that I've gotten back into this area of collecting. I don't even want to discuss what I sold back in the day. :cry:  Suffice it to say that some of those books are likely in the upper grades that exist area. It seems to me that within the last few months, people are starting to ask a LOT more for nice quality books in this genre. It's interesting to see which books are difficult to find in grade, using the census as a indicator. I collect both raw and certified copies, as I like to have a reader copy too. Makes it more expensive, but it's just so much fun to read them!!! 

12 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

I have NONE of the runs complete. I sold off most of the copies I had in the mid to late 90s to pursue Golden Age. It's actually VERY recently that I've gotten back into this area of collecting. I don't even want to discuss what I sold back in the day. :cry:  Suffice it to say that some of those books are likely in the upper grades that exist area. It seems to me that within the last few months, people are starting to ask a LOT more for nice quality books in this genre. It's interesting to see which books are difficult to find in grade, using the census as a indicator. I collect both raw and certified copies, as I like to have a reader copy too. Makes it more expensive, but it's just so much fun to read them!!! 

I could barely afford this copy of Venus #19 last year and OtherEric said a coverless one sold for $250 I believe.  Unfortunately they haven’t done Venus #11-19 digital reprints yet on ComiXology and I’m not crazy enough to crack it open and read it.  I think they reprinted one story from it in the 70’s.

74286E39-35D4-4799-9AF3-5D8F0B012A73.jpeg

It's the first issue of the semi-long running PCH series Suspense, which featured several classic PCH covers as well as art by all the greats. Congrats! That's a title I collect and an issue I don't have. You can see all the details here:

https://www.comics.org/series/669/covers/