• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

Incidentally gang, I DO believe that this is the first house ad for the Fantastic Four. I also recall this being the only house ad I've seen for our beloved PHM books. Does anyone here know either of those statements to be inaccurate? I will search through my raw copies sometime in the future to try to verify that as best I can.

Strange Tales 95 house ad.jpg

3 minutes ago, jayhawker said:

Here’s mine with a nice date stamp if you like that kinda thing. I do.

image.jpg

:headbang:

Notice Jason's copy had a date stamp of "AUG 10" - this one is "AUG 2". Case of East Coast vs West Coast distribution delays?

-bc

7 minutes ago, bc said:

:headbang:

Notice Jason's copy had a date stamp of "AUG 10" - this one is "AUG 2". Case of East Coast vs West Coast distribution delays?

-bc

It's my copy's younger brother.

36 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Incidentally gang, I DO believe that this is the first house ad for the Fantastic Four. I also recall this being the only house ad I've seen for our beloved PHM books. Does anyone here know either of those statements to be inaccurate? I will search through my raw copies sometime in the future to try to verify that as best I can.

Strange Tales 95 house ad.jpg

I believe you are right. I can tell you for certain that Strange Worlds, World of Fantasy, Amazing Adventures and Amazing Adult Fantasy do NOT have any house ads.

However, I did see that Amazing Adult Fantasy 12 institutes a "Letters Page" from fans. That may be another first that bled into the superhero era?

-bc

57 minutes ago, bc said:

However, I did see that Amazing Adult Fantasy 12 institutes a "Letters Page" from fans. That may be another first that bled into the superhero era?

-bc

I think the Fantastic Four’s lettercol started a month or so earlier, in issue 3.

I know the fashion themed comics like Millie credited fans with contributions ( i.e., Patsy’s coat designed by Judy Smith of Centerville, WV), but I don’t know if they had actual letter columns.

15 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Grabbed a couple more from C-link last night. This one is in "the other guy's holder" so no label. I'll get it CGC graded when it arrives. 

JIM 54 NL.jpg

And the grade is?.........................................................drum roll.